Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 12:56 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I wish more people would read this and UNDERSTAND it! The military is not here to give your messed up kid therapy - they exist for far more powerful and important things. They really don't CARE about your kids problems making plans for the future, nor trying to get out from under some really stupid stuff they might have done. I wish people would stop acting as though they're a free ride reform school for people's screwed up kids!

Sorry - this is a real hot button issue for me.
Both of my brothers joined the military. The "straight arrow" did very well - and made a career of it. The "problem child" got booted out - and quickly. They will not put up with crap.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:36 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Disclaimer - I didn't read through all the responses.

I don't see any disowning. You can go to community college. You can try to get a job, etc. You're getting older, time to start taking more responsibility for your future. Think of some plans and ask your parents for advice and help. If they see you are serious and it's a decent plan, I would guess that they'll help. Ultimately, most parents want their kids to be happy and successful. Ask them what they think you should do. Work with them.

Best of luck

Old 06-14-2016, 01:44 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Also consider that if you take responsibility for your actions and future and start taking care of business by working and successfully completing courses in community college, your parents may be more willing to help you in the future. It is certainly understandable that they don't want to waste their hard-earned money - what they've seen from you in the past year suggests to them that they'd be doing so. But if you change your ways, they might be more willing to invest in you again. But you should also start switching your mindset - now that you've graduated and turned 18, it is increasingly up to you to make your way and if your parents help you that is very nice but not expected or required. Your future will be what you work for.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:44 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Join the Peace Corps for a year. Go be of service somewhere on the planet. You will have amazing experiences and "find" yourself in the process. This also looks great on a university application. https://www.peacecorps.gov/

Old 06-14-2016, 04:17 PM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia.leighton View Post
I've taken a lot of AP classes and used to be a really good student, my grades this year aren't compatible with my capability, I know that, but I worked my a** off freshman-junior year and it's not fair that all my huge efforts have now gone down the drain.
It is fair. You made some bad decisions. I am sure your parents would help if you took steps to undo those decisions. Any way your grades are bad enough so you can retake 12th grade? One idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia.leighton View Post
I mean I'm obviously not going anywhere in the fall, I haven't applied anywhere, hoping my parents would help me out. But they aren't helping, they're disowning me and they don't give a damn about my future. I have no choice but to take a gap year, but what am I supposed to do during that year with NO financial backing from my parents? Work like 2 jobs whilst simultaneously trying to get into college? It's like 4:00 AM and I'm awake thinking about how much my life sucks and how whilst everyone else in my senior class is preparing for college and looking irritably happy, I'm sitting here with no plans for the future whatsoever. I need serious help.
If you worked the two jobs and made efforts to set things right, your parents would give a damn. The onus is on you, not them.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:32 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Join the Peace Corps for a year. Go be of service somewhere on the planet. You will have amazing experiences and "find" yourself in the process. This also looks great on a university application. https://www.peacecorps.gov/
Like the military, the Peace Corp doesn't accept everybody, in fact, they have a more strenuous application process. Most positions require a 4 yr degree, or a combination of education and work experience. The OP has neither.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:32 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
The Peace Corps doesn't hire lost souls. Applicants need to be competent in a number of skill areas the Peace Corps utilizes. They also don't hire HS grads. AmeriCorps might be an option, but they don't hire people who have no initiative to do things for themselves.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
She doesn't need to join the military or the peace corps. All she needs to do is sign up for community college and start applying to 4-year schools for next fall (or the fall after that).

Old 06-14-2016, 06:08 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
also once you are back from your Peace Corps training, it gives you preferred hiring status for federal jobs for a number of years after your return.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
also once you are back from your Peace Corps training, it gives you preferred hiring status for federal jobs for a number of years after your return.
She could get into a 4 year school more easily than the peace corps. Her life is not over because she has a 3.5 gpa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships