Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 05:46 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,611,014 times

Advertisements

Why is everyone saying people are inconsiderate and insensitive for being annoyed by a constant cougher who won't cover her mouth? What about her? Certainly, her medical condition or whatever the problem may be IS her own personal business and she doesn't owe anyone an explanation of the source of her coughing fits, but...in consideration for others, she could say "Sorry, about the coughing but I can't help it," or something similar, and cover her mouth. I think that is basically what the OP is hoping, that the cougher will cover her mouth around others, especially since we don't know for certain that this person doesn't have a contagious cough. A little understanding on both sides would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 06:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,049,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Why is everyone saying people are inconsiderate and insensitive for being annoyed by a constant cougher who won't cover her mouth? What about her? Certainly, her medical condition or whatever the problem may be IS her own personal business and she doesn't owe anyone an explanation of the source of her coughing fits, but...in consideration for others, she could say "Sorry, about the coughing but I can't help it," or something similar, and cover her mouth. I think that is basically what the OP is hoping, that the cougher will cover her mouth around others, especially since we don't know for certain that this person doesn't have a contagious cough. A little understanding on both sides would be nice.
Oh I think I'd be annoyed for sure. I just don't think it is a random coworker's place to suggest medical care. If this is a friend, then I think it is ok to say something out of concern, not out of annoyance.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,959,953 times
I once had a horrible frequent cough. They changed my blood pressure meds and the cough went away. It took me forever to figure it out.

If others are bothered by this, several of you ought to visit her cube together and urge her to seek treatment. Tell her this is not normal and that you are concerned about her health.

If you want, you could record her cough so she can hear herself.

At any rate, if you keep this about her health, she might relent and visit the doc. if you think it would be more effective, the group could visit the supervisor with the same concern--that is your co worker's health. A recording of her coughing repeatedly, might be illuminating. Use your own judgement. I'd go to the co worker first, I think.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:55 AM

9,886 posts, read 9,500,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Some people are clearly missing my point. Yep, I'm a horrible person for not wanting to be coughed on or sharing space with people who don't bother to cover or redirect their coughs. I should be doomed to coming down with a lung disease.

No, I think you are totally right. Its gross. it would bother me with that much loud annoying noise. someone maybe from H.R. has to address this. its disrupting your work. Tell HR that its disrupting your concentration and your ability to do your job. THAT is a valid reason.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:59 AM

15,798 posts, read 21,316,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If others are bothered by this, several of you ought to visit her cube together and urge her to seek treatment. Tell her this is not normal and that you are concerned about her health.
If anyone has a right to go to HR to complain about coughing, it would be the person being harassed by coworkers about their health.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:07 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,652,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i work in health care and after coughing for 30 minutes i was told by my boss to go home. if someone is non-contagious and coughing and has to be at work, they wear a mask. Whether they are patients or staff or visitors or family, we hand them a mask if they are coughing. there are boxes of them all over the clinic.

one of the nice things about working in health care is there is a high level of awareness and practical steps taken to protect the health of patients and staff alike. we also have a "no shaking hands" policy, which i absolutely love. there are signs all over the clinic. i am so glad we do that, and now I do it even when i am not at work, that is NOT shaking hands with anyone.

I'm with you on the NO HAND SHAKING! I hate that people feel so obligated to shake hands all the time. I refuse to do it and I just tell people that I don't shake hands. I don't care what they think. The worst is when I see people at a dinner party or out eating and they meet people and shake hands with them and then start eating. They don't even bother to go wash their hands before they eat after shaking hands with someone they just met.

I actually had a dentist one time who tried to shake hands with me prior to my exam while wearing his exam gloves! I never went back to that office again.

As far as a response to the OP - I totally get what you are saying. Not sure why so many people are focused on the actual coughing, when you are complaining about her coughing ON everyone. That's the problem and you are right - it's disgusting and beyond rude. How unfortunate that she is such good friends with the boss and you feel like you have no way to get her to cover her mouth when she coughs. It doesn't matter if her cough is contagious or not. Being coughed on is gross and coughing like that still spreads germs even if her cough is not contagious.

If I were you, I'd kind of be sorry I ever asked on CD about this due to the fact that so many people are entirely missing your point.

If I were you, I would get the whole group of people you work with to address this problem with the supervisor or HR. If everyone bands together in an attempt to get her to start covering her mouth when she coughs, you might have a chance of success.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:02 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,808,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I am that cougher - I have lung damage from chemo and cannot control it. It's worse when it's very cold or when my allergies kick in (not to mention the twice a year bouts of bronchitis I tend to get!), which means I get about a 2 month reprieve every year. I am followed carefully by a whole team of doctors and while it's not contagious, it's certainly obnoxious. People reminding me how obnoxious it is does not help and I shouldn't have to explain my medical history to everyone who questions me about it. Maybe she *has* seen a doctor but doesn't think it's any of your business?
That's a unique perspective, IMO.

I'd think it would be much easier to inform my group I have a medical condition instead of them thinking I was just rude or clueless.

"I know I'm obnoxious but it's none of your business why." Wouldn't be my strategy but to each their own.

Obviously you're able to function if you're not out on FMLA or sick 4 months per year so they have no idea whatsoever that you're aware it's obnoxious.

Your office must be full of very nice people. By law, the company is not required to accommodate your medical condition by just leaving you annoying your coworkers. They could quite easily provide you a private office elsewhere where you can stay out of each other's way. Just like if you broke a leg and can't walk up stairs, they can give you an office on the first floor.

Maybe you'd even like it better.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:08 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,808,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
As far as a response to the OP - I totally get what you are saying. Not sure why so many people are focused on the actual coughing, when you are complaining about her coughing ON everyone. That's the problem and you are right - it's disgusting and beyond rude. How unfortunate that she is such good friends with the boss .
Because the actual coughing is disruptive and annoying just like if you had someone with a different medical condition like Tourette Syndrome yelling things out randomly every 60 seconds or whistling.

The woman I reference at the phone company LITERALLY was clearing her throat loudly every 120 seconds or coughing.

Even if you're a protected class, it means the company is obligated to provide you ACCOMMODATION.

Not that you get to make a group of your coworkers accommodate your UNWILLINGNESS to deal with your disability.

I bet you if the company accommodated the cougher with her own private office with a door, she'd ether deal with the cough, explain the cough or be happy herself if she doesn't care about being on good terms with the rest of her co-workers.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:32 AM

2,131 posts, read 3,557,896 times
Quote:
I once had a horrible frequent cough. They changed my blood pressure meds and the cough went away. It took me forever to figure it out.
Indeed! Sounds like lisinopril or similar. That is claimed to be only about a 5% side effect, but I am reasonably certain its much more frequent. In my case the side effect eventually subsided.

Don in Austin

Quote:

If you want, you could record her cough so she can hear herself.

At any rate, if you keep this about her health, she might relent and visit the doc. if you think it would be more effective, the group could visit the supervisor with the same concern--that is your co worker's health. A recording of her coughing repeatedly, might be illuminating. Use your own judgement. I'd go to the co worker first, I think.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:36 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,046,601 times
I've got the same coworker...she has been coughing since 2011...I'm not kidding! She gets to the point where she's literally choking on it. People used to offer cough drops & everything, but she refuses. She has said that she has been to the doctor, but she doesn't like medication. So we get to suffer through it. She doesn't cover her mouth either...I even caught her coughing all over a display/poster thing she was making for the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships