Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 11:38 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooncesTheDrivingCat View Post
I love to visit the East Coast but thank God that I live somewhere that hasn't been wussified…..
Come, walk the streets of Camden, New Jersey alone at night and show us all how tough and rough you are. As if it takes some sort of strength to press on the gas accelerator and revving the engine on an ATV is a sign of real masculinity, if an 11 year old girl can do it.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The problem is really you.
No, not at all. You can do whatever you want on your property provided it doesn't encroach on others being negatively impacted by it. Noise is an encroachment just like flooding someone else's property. There is no practical way to stop noise of that volume and frequency. Those that claim you simply get use to it, don't fully understand the unhealthy impact excessive noise can be. Noise is used to torture people. This is why we have the legal system to handle things where the ordinances aren't adequate enough. Once whatever you are doing is an encroachment on the lives of other, it stops being "my property, my right..." as it should be.

The OP and no one else is telling people how to live their lives. But we all live in a society and have to be reasonable and respectful to those around us.

As for those rare sick people who are getting their kicks out of intentionally harassing others, if the court system doesn't get them, their own personal health will suffer before their time. I've seen it happen.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
You know what I'm learning as time goes on in my life? I'm learning that many (not all) people don't just want the FREEDOM to make noise, they want to be able to taunt those who don't like it just for the thrill of being ugly in and of itself, NOT because they just want to be "free."
This is very true. I knew one guy who was into riding loud motorcycles and bragged about driving down urban streets and setting off car alarms because of the volume of noise generated. He finally got stopped by the police and was all upset he was given a ticket and had to attend a workshop on this. This was not a kid, this was done by a guy in his 40s.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy0032 View Post
It's so nice to see that their are good people out there that care for others feelings. Thank you
Same here. I ask my neighbors if there is anything troubling them to please let me know about it and I'll take care of it. Because I realized that some people aren't even aware of the problem. One neighbor had a spot light that was causing a glare through one of our windows at night. I spoke to them about it, they didn't even realize it was a problem and the husband got out a ladder and moved the light's position immediately. I sent them a note thanking them.

That's the way people need to learn to live. This nonsense about "my property..." has nothing to do with it. No one wants to live next door to someone who is bothering them, or live there knowing that your actions are bothering others. It is an unhealthy situation for both parties.

I've seen some people post saying you shouldn't do anything, because it will make things worse. If they don't know boundaries of acceptable behavior than it can only get worse. Someone use to hold loud parties and the cut-off time was 11 PM. With each party it went later and later until it was 4 AM. Once the police got involved they knew their boundaries, and stopped the party noise at the time that's in the ordinance. So the solution to say and do nothing, doesn't help out the situation.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:31 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Same here. I ask my neighbors if there is anything troubling them to please let me know about it and I'll take care of it. Because I realized that some people aren't even aware of the problem. One neighbor had a spot light that was causing a glare through one of our windows at night. I spoke to them about it, they didn't even realize it was a problem and the husband got out a ladder and moved the light's position immediately. I sent them a note thanking them.

That's the way people need to learn to live. This nonsense about "my property..." has nothing to do with it. No one wants to live next door to someone who is bothering them, or live there knowing that your actions are bothering others. It is an unhealthy situation for both parties.

I've seen some people post saying you shouldn't do anything, because it will make things worse. If they don't know boundaries of acceptable behavior than it can only get worse. Someone use to hold loud parties and the cut-off time was 11 PM. With each party it went later and later until it was 4 AM. Once the police got involved they knew their boundaries, and stopped the party noise at the time that's in the ordinance. So the solution to say and do nothing, doesn't help out the situation.

Your lucky enough to live next to neighbors who are considerate and reasonable. When speaking to someone doesn't work have no choice but to get attorney's. A past co-worker of mine had a problem with the home next door it was a rental. His solution was to buy the home from the out of states investor. He said it was the best money he ever spent to walk over there with an eviction notice and handed it to them.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:17 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
And is she going to do it for them, and pay upwards of 600 dollars to install and buy a new muffler.
If you are willing to spend the money to quiet their mufflers send them a letter stating so, or have a lawyer send it if you want to keep a legal trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
THIS! Since moving to the country I have learned there are two kinds of people who live in the country! Those who want peace and quiet and to be out of town, and those who would not be tolerated in town.
Wow, so this. Well put.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:42 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Some complain about farmers moving their large equipment down roads at a slow pace, demanding they move at normal traffic speeds or get off the roads, as they are holding normal people up. ...

Some complain that the farmers operate their machinery at night, operating on a 24 hour basis.

... You have the country people operating as it has always been done and in many cases the only way it can be done. Then you have the city people move to the country and want things changed to how they think it should be happening. These complaining city people, really don't fit into the country life style. ...
There is stark difference between people going about their chores or inherent duties, and personal amusement or outright demonstrative flaunting. Farmers need to drive their tractors from one agricultural plot to another, but if a farmer were joy-riding a tractor, swerving across the road and spinning his rear-wheels in low-gear while demonstratively blocking traffic, surely that would not be countenanced as decent or neighborly behavior.

And last I checked, ATVs were a newfangled thing – hardly "as it’s always been done". My semi-country locale was surveyed before WW2, and most of our houses are from that time, or earlier. How many ATVs were available back then? How many powerful outdoor stereo systems?

A basic regard for personal space and for group-coexistence is not limited to country or city, east-coast or west, first-world or third. To invoke local idiom as justification for rudeness is a cowardly and clannish chest-thumping.

The OP's difficulty is indeed serious. Recourse to the police or the legal-system is unlikely to be fruitful. Retaliation in fighting noise-with-noise (loudspeakers, gunfire, ferocious outdoor dog) might offer cathartic revenge, but doesn't solve the problem.

The right to be left alone, is fundamental. It is a most unfortunate and irritating irony, that some view their personal prerogative, as superior to another's right to be left alone.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:28 AM

264 posts, read 183,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Come, walk the streets of Camden, New Jersey alone at night and show us all how tough and rough you are. As if it takes some sort of strength to press on the gas accelerator and revving the engine on an ATV is a sign of real masculinity, if an 11 year old girl can do it.
Meh, I'm not about to get into an argument about toughness over the interwebz…..

All I'm saying is that I'm glad that people in my neighborhood (including myself) aren't whiny little weasels that would cry to a lawyer (which is going to go nowhere when it turns out that they have stock exhaust on the ATVs) because of some noise.

A couple examples…..

I live on top of a hill in a small town. Just down the hill from me is the biggest park in town with festivals, live bands, beer gardens, etc. on weekends all over during the summer. I hate the festivals and I would rather go to the dentist than listen to a bad cover band butcher songs I like and deal with drunken morons. I dislike that I can hear the annoying music well enough to recognize every song until midnight even with my windows closed. But lots of people enjoy that so I deal with it.

My neighbor likes to have bonfires in his backyard and he's got outdoor speakers set up on his stereo. He has friends over until 1 or 2 in the morning sometimes. I think it's ridiculous.

However in both cases I don't get my panties all twisted up over it. Why? Because none of those people complain when I turn the stereo on in my shop while I'm working in the lawn and they don't cry when I rip through town on a motorcycle (even the ones that aren't street legal).

In other words tolerance….it goes both ways. That's what being a good neighbor is…it's not about never doing anything that might offend those that live close to you.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-19-2016 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: deleted You Tube video(off topic and not pg13 scene/languages

Old 06-19-2016, 09:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
There is stark difference between people going about their chores or inherent duties, and personal amusement or outright demonstrative flaunting. Farmers need to drive their tractors from one agricultural plot to another, but if a farmer were joy-riding a tractor, swerving across the road and spinning his rear-wheels in low-gear while demonstratively blocking traffic, surely that would not be countenanced as decent or neighborly behavior.

And last I checked, ATVs were a newfangled thing – hardly "as it’s always been done". My semi-country locale was surveyed before WW2, and most of our houses are from that time, or earlier. How many ATVs were available back then? How many powerful outdoor stereo systems?

A basic regard for personal space and for group-coexistence is not limited to country or city, east-coast or west, first-world or third. To invoke local idiom as justification for rudeness is a cowardly and clannish chest-thumping.

The OP's difficulty is indeed serious. Recourse to the police or the legal-system is unlikely to be fruitful. Retaliation in fighting noise-with-noise (loudspeakers, gunfire, ferocious outdoor dog) might offer cathartic revenge, but doesn't solve the problem.

The right to be left alone, is fundamental. It is a most unfortunate and irritating irony, that some view their personal prerogative, as superior to another's right to be left alone.

You've hit on a couple good points. It doesn't matter if ATV's are "newfangled" or not really. What does matter is the lack of respect between 2 parties. I see both sides of this, having been on both sides at one time or another, sadly it rarely turns out well for either side.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:38 AM

54 posts, read 50,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
[/u][/i]
You've hit on a couple good points. It doesn't matter if ATV's are "newfangled" or not really. What does matter is the lack of respect between 2 parties. I see both sides of this, having been on both sides at one time or another, sadly it rarely turns out well for either side.
I have been as respectful as I can be. I have however received none in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships