Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 01:12 PM

153 posts, read 153,853 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

I'm in my late 40's and have managed to avoid creating a FB account for various reasons.
At first it seemed a college kid fad, then it seemed a huge time suck and fake, then annoying ads, then privacy issues and people getting fired and on and on...

My family are not big FBers. Parents are not great with computers, siblings are "Meh" and my kids have accounts they barely maintain and generally just use to check out other people lol.
We all just text, call, and send pictures to each other or actually visit.

As for me, I am not a Luddite, I'm on Instagram, Twitter, Reddit, have various apps, NONE of which have my real name hehe. BUT having moved from the west coast to the east coast and back, I am finding it hard to keep up with friends and there are a lot of social invites that are sent via FB.
People have to "remember" to email, text, or call me which can be annoying or they forget, contact me at the last minute and feel bad.
Having typed this, it seems almost rude of me not to have joined.

On the other hand, I have heard a lot of complaints about what a pain it is, they wished they never started it and they are cutting back or quitting. There have been numerous stories of cheating, affairs, divorces and stalking.
Also snubs, insults and hurt feelings from turning down invites cause you are "sick" then you are tagged in a photo at someone elses party.
Unfriending, not friending, relationship status-It all seems so very Jr High (Middle school).

I am torn. So wise people of City-Data what would you do?
Any suggestions on how to manage an account, keep your privacy and not get caught up in any drama?

Old 06-17-2016, 01:23 PM

153 posts, read 153,853 times
Oops. Sorry!

I did do a search about joining FB. Did'nt see anything that really related to joining because I guess everyone is already on it ;-)

Last edited by Protagonista; 06-17-2016 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: added comment.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:28 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
I deleted mine 3 years ago. Don't miss it a bit.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:32 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
I view mine every month or so. If I want to know how someone is doing I call them.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:48 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
no, I don't have a FB account, and Im middle age man with grown children.
I have no interest, and my life isnt that interesting or exciting that i would need to share it with anyone else.

Oh goodie, im washing socks tonight.

oh goodie im going out to eat tonight.

dont think so..

Old 06-17-2016, 01:54 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Canceling my FB soon.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:55 PM

741 posts, read 590,394 times
I have a FB account but I rarely post anything. If I had to do it again I would still set up an account just to keep up with friends & family in distant locations. But my use of FB is pretty limited because I'm not much of a social media user in general. I agree that it's a huge time suck. I barely have time to keep up with my real life much less a virtual one. People post too much info on social media that's led to too many problems, a few of which you listed. I think it appeals to the fame-obsessed younger generation that they think having hundreds of FB "friends" or instagram followers makes them famous in a way or somehow more special than your average Joe Citizen. I just don't care about being "internet famous." I don't want other people/employers/parents at my kids' schools knowing all that much about my private life frankly. I don't have anything to hide, but the more info you post the more it opens you up to judgement. It would be mighty egotistical of me to think my life is all that interesting anyway that people would care what I'm doing day to day or minute by minute. The check-in feature is a good example of useless information. Who cares if your mother's best friend's husband checked into TGIFridays 15 minutes ago. But if he then posts a selfie with his secret girlfriend at the bar surrounded by tequila shots instead of going to his weekly AA meeting.....yeah too much information. No matter what a person says or does on social media, eventually it opens them up to criticism. It's hard enough to maintain a decent sense of self in this world without getting judgement & hate from known & anonymous users alike.

That said, I think FB is very valuable tool in helping to promote a business, to give it greater visibility. But even then, you have to be very careful how you respond to customers/fans. Even the most carefully worded post can receive some head scratching hateful responses.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:01 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
A few years ago I decided to give it a try. A few minutes after I signed up, it came up with a list of "suggested friends". It came up with my ex-wife (fine, we have emailed each other), but it also came up with an old friend who lived in my apartment building 30 years ago and also a guy whose FB photo was taken on my boat. I had never emailed or had any other internet contact with either of these guys. It just felt too creepy to me, so I deleted the account.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:26 PM

741 posts, read 590,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
A few years ago I decided to give it a try. A few minutes after I signed up, it came up with a list of "suggested friends". It came up with my ex-wife (fine, we have emailed each other), but it also came up with an old friend who lived in my apartment building 30 years ago and also a guy whose FB photo was taken on my boat. I had never emailed or had any other internet contact with either of these guys. It just felt too creepy to me, so I deleted the account.
Yeah that part of FB kinda disturbs me too.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:30 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I've never been a member, and wouldn't join now. You have trouble keeping up with friends, OP? Can't you do that by phone and email? I have fun emailing friends, and also sometimes, old-fashioned snail-mailing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships