Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 09:43 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by castle.knights View Post
The thing is if I go through the whole legal system that'd be so time consuming and I don't live in New York anymore, so having to stay there while my attorney takes care of everything would also be something I couldn't afford. Unless I stay with my parents, but I'm not sure they'd let me.
To go through the legal procedure, do I have to be in New York, or can it still take place while I stay here in PA?
Your first step is to actually get in touch with a lawyer. There are some lawyers that are licensed to practice in Pa. and NY.. But if you can't find one. Ask a Pa. lawyer and I'm sure they can recommend one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 09:47 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Mommy and daddy won't be around forever. Take care of things like an adult...or you will never become one.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:44 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castle.knights View Post
I'm really struggling financially due to reasons I've explained in a previous thread, and while I always have been since what happened, I've reached the age of 32 now and I feel as though I need to do something about my life because I don't want to die not having accomplished anything (not to sound dramatic or anything)
I'm taking a mini trip to New York this weekend to talk things out with the police department hoping they'll conceal my police record for future employers but from what I've understood that'll take quite a bit of time and it's not even a sure they'll be able to do it, I literally cannot afford to just sit around and wait, unemployed. I worked as a temp at this law firm but I got laid off so I need some sort of financial support, not that the job offered a lot anyway, but it was still something.
I was thinking that since I'm going to New York anyway I could visit my parents and ask for some money until I get back on my feet. Before I was too proud to stoop that low at the age of 32 but now things aren't looking very good for me and I need some money. One I establish a good name for myself I'll pay them back, just for a temporary solution. My folks are actually quite wealthy so I don't think it'd be a problem for them in that way, but maybe they'll still refuse to because I'm 32 and I'm supposed to be independent. And plus it's my fault for messing up so bad and ending up with a police record, so I think their values may get in the way.
Do you think I should give it a shot and ask them for some cash just for now or would it be better just getting another low-paying job until I get the whole police record thing cleared which will finally be able to get me a respected job with good pay?
The fact that you think you can talk to the police and that they will conceal your record is probably a bigger factor than your record in not getting a decent job. In what world do you live that doing something like that makes sense to you?

Old 06-25-2016, 11:07 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,252 times
First, you have a conviction. This is through the court system. There is absolutely nothing that the police department can do for you. They'll send you to the court house. The clerk may be able to help you by getting you copies of the documents related to your conviction and may be able to give you advice regarding your options (which I think were pretty well covered in your other thread). But you can likely get all of this by just calling the court clerk, and save yourself the time and expense of a trip to New York.

It sounds like you should call a few attorneys and get pricing for getting the Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilities thing. Do the research on the filing requirements and on the attorneys. If this is a standard type of filing that you can do on your own successfully, then get the process started.

Then go to your parents, explain the situation and what you're already doing to rectify it, and ask them for some financial support to help with the attorney fees or living expenses. Meanwhile, if you're not currently working, get a job doing something. Not every company runs a background check. Smaller companies may be more understanding of the situation and the fact that you've not been in any trouble since the conviction.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:46 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Shall we take bets on whether the OP made a (wasted) trip to NY this weekend?

Old 06-26-2016, 01:00 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Shall we take bets on whether the OP made a (wasted) trip to NY this weekend?
It wasn't wasted. The OP had fun - and that was the real purpose of the trip. The real question is if mommy and daddy financed the pleasure junket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships