Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 03:35 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times

Advertisements

I think these days its fairly normal. I've thought about this a lot. I mean, I'm a professional normal male with a variety of interests living in a city that isn't home for me, and its damn near impossible to make REAL friends. I have many acquaintances. None of them ever initiate hanging out and watching football, going out for a drink, move, or anything. Its always me. Well, as Forever Blue said, it should be closer to 50/50. I also realize women are way more social than men and have many more friendships. I'm not the typical male in that I want to make new friends, but now I have completely given up. I have no significant other either, so its pretty lonely. I'm an introvert who's made an extreme effort through work, meetup groups, volunteering, etc. Its just a waste of effort. Again, I'm normal, not socially awkward or unattractive. Amazing how people would rather text on their phones or only hang out with one or 2 people and just aren't interested in making friends anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 06:46 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
If you have the type of mentality like I do in which I don't need friends & that they're great to have, but I don't need them to make me happy, then that's the outlook to have. I'm not going to get all depressed because I have no friends. I keep myself pretty busy w/ things.

I would like to get to the point where I don't feel I need friends anymore. As I've had friends that couldn't be relied on at all. And you're right, there is no need for someone to feel bad about himself for not having friends. It is what it is.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:57 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
If you are lonely, get a cute dog and walk him in the neighborhood, within a year you are going to have a whole neighborhood of friends.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:04 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Less friends, less chance of one of them backstabbing you.
Appropos of that (link to lyrics):

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia
"The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia"

He was on his way home from Candletop
Been two weeks gone and he thought he'd stop
At Web's and have him a drink for he went home to her
Andy Wo-Lo said hello
He said "Hi what's new"
And Wo said "Sit down I got some bad news that's gonna hurt"
Said I'm your best friend and you know that's right
But your young bride ain't home tonight
Since you been gone she's been seeing that Amos boy Seth
Now he got mad and he saw red
Andy said boy don't you lose your head
Cause to tell you the truth I've been with her myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpkE5Ee3AOo

Old 10-28-2016, 04:52 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I am an adult and I have very little friends

Old 10-30-2016, 10:00 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times
From personal experience, most people are fake, two-faced and leave if you share any struggles that you may be currently having. They don't want to hear about your problems whatsoever. Or they use it to gossip with others.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
From personal experience, most people are fake, two-faced and leave if you share any struggles that you may be currently having. They don't want to hear about your problems whatsoever. Or they use it to gossip with others.
Happens to be too true. There are rare people who aren't that way though. Give this a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnmFPFQd9CI

Old 11-01-2016, 10:47 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I think these days its fairly normal. I've thought about this a lot. I mean, I'm a professional normal male with a variety of interests living in a city that isn't home for me, and its damn near impossible to make REAL friends. I have many acquaintances. None of them ever initiate hanging out and watching football, going out for a drink, move, or anything. Its always me. Well, as Forever Blue said, it should be closer to 50/50. I also realize women are way more social than men and have many more friendships. I'm not the typical male in that I want to make new friends, but now I have completely given up. I have no significant other either, so its pretty lonely. I'm an introvert who's made an extreme effort through work, meetup groups, volunteering, etc. Its just a waste of effort. Again, I'm normal, not socially awkward or unattractive. Amazing how people would rather text on their phones or only hang out with one or 2 people and just aren't interested in making friends anymore.
If you complain in real life as much as you do here, I can see why you have issues with getting people to want to be your friend.

Try not complaining about things. I bet you would suddenly have more people who were interested in being friends.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:15 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
If you complain in real life as much as you do here, I can see why you have issues with getting people to want to be your friend.

Try not complaining about things. I bet you would suddenly have more people who were interested in being friends.
That's the sort of "helpful" reply that makes solitude so appealing.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That's the sort of "helpful" reply that makes solitude so appealing.
Why is my more positive post two or three up ignored?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships