Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:37 AM

90 posts, read 102,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
She should work at a busy place where she earns tips. Chances are she meets a new love there and problem solved.
Funny you should say that. She is one of those that doesn't really believe in tipping. She says "I'm poor, if I have money to eat, why should I be pressured to tip when I can't?".

Funny because I am on disability but still always manage to tip 15-20%.

Anyway, we all talked, got heated and worked out a deal - sort of. Not completely happy with it but due to the fact I am disabled, really don't have anywhere else to go to or those that can help I had to acquiesce on a few things. We made a deal she has to have a job by October or she is out. When she can she will start paying a third on all the bills except Internet, my roommate said he didn't want her to pay on that because he says it's not a necessity like rent, electric and water.

His argument originally to why should she stay if she's not paying the bills and using our electricity, water etc. was "Well, I pay half so it should count on me paying for her to".

I admit I was straight up in telling her I don't have much faith in her getting another job, much less keeping one but she kept saying she was working hard and has been applying at different places. I also commented about how she always seems to be upset or real mad about everything and she said "Oh, I am not always like that, I just have one of those faces".

As for going to my landlord my roommate did make a good point, as it is we have two strikes against us. One being a strike for the apartment being messy and having cockroaches (which my roommate brought over from taking his stuff from his storage shed), and also a noise complaint so if I went and told the landlord a person has been living with us that shouldn't be and it would most likely be a strike three and we could all likely be booted out.

As you can see to say I am between a rock and a hard place is quite the understatement. The best I can hope for now is really just hope she gets a job and manages to pay by October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 12:57 AM

90 posts, read 102,477 times
Also, as far as the food stamps go. My roommate and his gf have phrased it as "Well after we pay the bills we don't have any money for food and what food we get works for you to".

The thing is I haven't always done it. Her mother is on food stamps as well and she will give it to my roommates gf to buy food.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:48 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruspalinski View Post
Also, as far as the food stamps go. My roommate and his gf have phrased it as "Well after we pay the bills we don't have any money for food and what food we get works for you to".

The thing is I haven't always done it. Her mother is on food stamps as well and she will give it to my roommates gf to buy food.
Just out of curiosity what is your job?

Old 07-04-2016, 06:56 AM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Just out of curiosity what is your job?

He's on SSI.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:39 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
He's on SSI.
Yeah i read that but maybe if he/she is able to work or not.

You can be on SSI after 65 regardless right?

Old 07-04-2016, 07:46 AM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Yeah i read that but maybe if he/she is able to work or not.

You can be on SSI after 65 regardless right?

SSI is different than Social Security. People of any age can receive SSI if they can't work and don't have enough work quarters to receive Social Security Disability Income or retirement. A common SSI recipient I saw when teaching was a high school kid on the Autism spectrum.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:59 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
So I have a problem that I was originally understanding about but am very tired of.

Four months ago my roommate (both guys here) met a woman through a mutual friend. She didn't have a job or even a car or drivers license. But I was told she would get a job and we would start splitting the bills three ways. She moved in after just three weeks. Anyway, shortly after she did get a job at a local wal mart that is real close to our apartment and just about a 10 minute walk. She was stocking in dairy but she would constantly complain about the job and after just two weeks she quit, just stopped going to work.

All the while she was eating our food and using our resources but my roommate just accepted it (she is 19 and pretty much just stays in his room), close to three weeks later she got a job as a hostess but with this he had to drive her to and from work and even then she would complain about her Co workers yet never since contributed to bills. Since my roommate works nights and sleeps during the day it was a pain to keep driving her back and forth, so she quit that job and close to two weeks later she got a job at a subway close by.

Yet even then she says she has to spend the money she gets on other things. And originally she started working part time about 3-4 hours. The thing that really upsets me other than her always having excuses as to why she can't contribute to bills and my roommate being okay with it is that recently they have given her more hours and she still complains talking about how "exhausted" she is. Despite it being a more regular schedule. She works more full time now but she is always in a bad mood, for example I asked her how many hours did she work and she said "it was horrible, I had to work a double shift at 9 hours and I have to do it tomorrow".

The thing is I am currently on disability and get SSI as well as food stamps so I can't say I work, but I still manage to pay my half of the bills and I use my food stamps to get food for the apartment which she eats and quite a bit.

I have tried talking to my roommate but of course he is very defensive about it and I can't get anywhere with him. Do I really have any options? And am I being insensitive to thinking it very pathetic that a 19 year old thinks working what amounts to a full shift is "exhausting"?

The best job she had was when she was working at the wal mart because it was real close, she was getting paid $9.50 an hour and she and my roommate actually had the same schedule since he also worked at another wal mart with the same hours also doing stocking.

Maybe this may be a bit of a rant but I am tire of her not paying anything for bills and always ******** when, God forbid, she actually has to work!!
Is your roommate paying his half of expenses? If yes, you could politely ask him to chip in a little more since his GF is using the water, electricity and food. Or just sit down with them and discuss it.

I will never understand this generation of young people who move in with the boyfriends/girlfriends after knowing each other such a short time. Sounds like she needs to grow up, get a license and learn to be independent instead of latching on to the first guy who can give her shelter.

My prediction is she will get pregnant shortly and then won't want to work at all. Come back here in a month or so and let us know.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:43 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
You know that you all you agreed to isn't happening, right? You need to find a new place and never let this happen again.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:59 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
You know that you all you agreed to isn't happening, right? You need to find a new place and never let this happen again.
Yes, I agree they're going to renege. OP, you settled for a terrible, terrible, just awful deal. You will not even be able to enforce because of your mentality that you're in a vulnerable position. 4 months to find a job? Holy crap, that's a really, really long time to give someone who already has no incentive. And then you tell us the things they've said, my stomach churns because they're not DECENT people.

Just find someone who's renting out a room, pay the sum to break the contract (which in the long run will be cheaper to pay than stay. Your lease is up in April! ) and be done with these people. You're in a huge puddle of sh## and it's going to get worse.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 07-04-2016 at 09:07 AM..

Old 07-04-2016, 09:41 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,973 times
Quote:
Funny you should say that. She is one of those that doesn't really believe in tipping. She says "I'm poor, if I have money to eat, why should I be pressured to tip when I can't?".

Funny because I am on disability but still always manage to tip 15-20%.

Anyway, we all talked, got heated and worked out a deal - sort of. Not completely happy with it but due to the fact I am disabled, really don't have anywhere else to go to or those that can help I had to acquiesce on a few things. We made a deal she has to have a job by October or she is out. When she can she will start paying a third on all the bills except Internet, my roommate said he didn't want her to pay on that because he says it's not a necessity like rent, electric and water.

His argument originally to why should she stay if she's not paying the bills and using our electricity, water etc. was "Well, I pay half so it should count on me paying for her to".

I admit I was straight up in telling her I don't have much faith in her getting another job, much less keeping one but she kept saying she was working hard and has been applying at different places. I also commented about how she always seems to be upset or real mad about everything and she said "Oh, I am not always like that, I just have one of those faces".

As for going to my landlord my roommate did make a good point, as it is we have two strikes against us. One being a strike for the apartment being messy and having cockroaches (which my roommate brought over from taking his stuff from his storage shed), and also a noise complaint so if I went and told the landlord a person has been living with us that shouldn't be and it would most likely be a strike three and we could all likely be booted out.

As you can see to say I am between a rock and a hard place is quite the understatement. The best I can hope for now is really just hope she gets a job and manages to pay by October.
She will freeload until October. How many months is that? Her mothers giving her food stamps too? Sounds like the government needs to cut back on how much food stamps they hand out if people can afford to give it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships