Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 01:19 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amman View Post
You missed the point. I'm just tired of people who want to use cutesy, overdone, little slang words to show how "cool" they are.

These words may not be baby talk, but they sound silly.

"Yummy, kudos (Greek or not), selfies," etc...

And the woman at the dinner party who ran off to "tee tee" was just tacky.

"Selfies" seems narcissistic to me. " Self-portait" wouldn't really be accurate, but at least it would show you put forth some effort.
Hmm...I think I kinda get the point. You prolly mean to say that you're totes jelly since you're so concerned about others trying to look "cool" (hip, down, rad, happenin')

Cuz here's the thing: your examples? Those are not "cutesy, overdone, little slang words" people use to look cool. "Yummy"? It may sound childish, but how is "yummy" a new slang word? And who says "yummy" to be cool? "Kudos"? Why is that on your list? Is that just a word you dislike? "Tee tee" and "selfie" I agree are stupid sounding words, but narcissistic? Really? "Veggies"? I didn't realize that one was new. I'll agree with jammies and besties (my least fav from your list) but "crappy"? Is that just a polite curse word? Would it be more adult to actually curse?

So my point is: would you prefer the longer, more formal versions of words? Or do you simply have a list of words you've decided are silly and you wished to share them with the group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amman View Post
Has anyone noticed this for, say the last 20 years? People no longer use "big words".

I am so sick of the following: veggies, kudos, jammies, crappy, selfies, besties, munchies, etc.

What happened to adult words and behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 04:18 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I'm still perplexed over how the OP thinks "kudos" is new or cute or slang. I'm 57, and I've known that word for for at least 30 years. Now I've seen people online misuse it, as in "here's a kudo for you", but that just flags them as someone with a limited vocabulary and/or who doesn't read much outside of the Internet.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
MQ, you beat me to it. There is no such thing as a kudo. DON'T.

The word is not new either. Newer are "props" and "snaps."

Old 07-08-2016, 07:19 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm still perplexed over how the OP thinks "kudos" is new or cute or slang. I'm 57, and I've known that word for for at least 30 years. Now I've seen people online misuse it, as in "here's a kudo for you", but that just flags them as someone with a limited vocabulary and/or who doesn't read much outside of the Internet.
Agreed. I've been hearing "kudos" since I was a kid. I always perceived it as a bit lame compared to alternatives such as "congratulations" or "great job", but I wouldn't put it in a category of baby words.

"Convo" drives my husband nuts.

OP, How do you feel about "mayo"?

Last edited by IndyDancer; 07-08-2016 at 07:49 AM..

Old 07-08-2016, 07:41 AM

983 posts, read 994,986 times
This is a fun thread. I could barely understand some of these words.

I just think an intelligent, reasonable educated person does not pick up every single colloquialism that appears in popular culture. "Super", "tummy", "prec"!
Just speak the English language properly.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:42 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Language is continually evolving.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:19 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Being a mom to young children, I am very guilty of using the terms "potty", "tummy", "boo-boo", etc even sometimes with adults. My kids are elementary age now so I am purposefully trying to shift towards "grown up" talk to get them to do so also.

Slang though...I hate it. My 9 year old says things like "obvi" and I mock her every time. Hate that stuff. How hard are syllables really? If its that hard, we should get some speech therapy.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:59 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Kudos to Dirt Grinder and blueherons for my biggest laugh of the day on City Data.

Use your words.

Use your words.

Damn it's too late for breakies and I will be seeing one of my besties later today.

Opps sorry. I couldn't resist.

An, no not really.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:20 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
Reading these posts makes me realize I baby talk to my Pekingese....
Example.."You want some juicies, baby? (He likes V8 juice).

Old 07-08-2016, 12:43 PM

11,114 posts, read 9,753,246 times
I really don't care how other people speak, as long as I understand their meaning. That's the function of language. Heck I live in the South and sometimes actual southern words have little relation to their intended meaning. (Bless your heart!) I don't want to wax poetic about something like a grilled cheese sandwich, so "yummy" is sufficient to describe it. I don't see it as childish. I don't really want to hear someone use the scientific terms for their body parts either, so if the want to call it va-jay-jay, cookie, cindy, hoo-hoo, or hay-hay, I just don't care. If I were writing an article for publication, or speaking in a meeting, of course I will use proper English, but when talking to my friends I will speak casually so I don't come off as pompous and preachy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships