Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 12:46 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
There is no such thing as anonymous email
Using a mailbox for anything but mail delivery/pick up by USPS is a federal offense.

Personal experiences and concerns set aside - all OP knows is what some internet site sent to her. Remember the commercial? If there are residence restrictions local PD should be involved. As resident you check with PD about status of a suspected sex offender and requirements regarding residence based on his conviction. Have neighbors been notified and you just do not know about it?
What I "know" comes directly from the VA State Sex Offender Registry. All you have to do is access the site and then enter whatever county you want and a complete list of sex offenders with all applicable info comes up - so it's not "some" internet site. And I am not emailing the info to the neighbor; I don't know their email addee and there is no anonymous email ever. In fact, when I print the registry listing out, I won't do it at home, and I will wear gloves when I handle it and send it to their home through the U.S. Mail. I DON'T want any personal ID attached to the printout whatsoever. If the neighbors have been notified then this will just be a reminder of his updated registry in June; otherwise it will serve as info to protect their kiddos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 01:50 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Sex offenders (the ones who are actually offenders, not the 19 yr old bf/16 yr old gf crap) are never "cured" of their desires. They may live a good life, but there will always be that temptation if the opportunity presents itself.

You need to tell your neighbors. Doesn't matter how you tell them, but they need to know. We all need to look out for each other and protect our neighbors.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:26 PM

749 posts, read 855,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Well we do know he either pled guilty or was found guilty to be on the registry, so that isn't even part of the equation.
He served for that crime and was released. Now he is innocent until found guilty of another crime.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:34 PM

749 posts, read 855,543 times
According to OP the victim was 13-15 yo, so pretty much a teenager, not a little child. It's not uncommon for youngsters that age to be sexually active. OP didn't mention offender's age so there is no evidence it wasn't a mutually agreed relationship within an illegal age frame.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:37 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I'd talk to them in person, but won't knock you for sending a letter, etc.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:44 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
He served for that crime and was released. Now he is innocent until found guilty of another crime.
Correct.! the question remains will it happen again? Ergo the "awareness to be informed".

I do tend to take the stance that Labeling in such a broad term...may not be the way to go....

I worked with a chap that had this heinous "crime" attached to his work file..... Upon further details...our business did not find HIM to even be a true sex offender. His step daughter recanted years later which lead to his release, yet the good ole govt decided to not expunge his records. So it came up during a background check. The guy was sincere in his details, yet People still "labeled" him and considered him a threat.....He was sooo not though.....

So if you are going to toss mud in an attempt to keep the neighbors "aware", check your fairness to ALL parties involved. Do you even make an attempt to know this ex convict?

Our county has a mailing list for folks interested in moving to the area, the pamphlet contains the public information of these offenders. Refer them to their local county offices, This keeps your hands clean while being diplomatic to the persons lives.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:04 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
I wouldn't slip it under the door or leave it in the mailbox. I'd print out the sheet and hand it to them personally. If they aren't home when you go by, wait until they are. A friend of mine had a relative in your position, Bungalove, and looked at it this way. What if you didn't let the neighbors know, and he did something to or around their daughters, how would you feel thinking you could have stopped him if you had let them know?

This may have already been covered. I just read page 1 of this thread then replied.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:33 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Default Re urination in public

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
In NY you can be placed on the sex offender registry list for urinating in public...
Urinating in public, as in 1) behind a tree in a little used area of a park in the dark late at night when no one is around, or 2) urinating in public against private or public property (even if it is unlikely someone is watching, though it harms the property owner by the foul smell and wetness) and then the worst, 3) urinating in public where it is possible to be seen?

I would hope that first instance I mentioned would not cause someone to be listed on a sex offender registry, and likely not the second, either, even though I would prefer there to be no public urination.

The third is like "exposing yourself" and it's not only in NY where that is an offense.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:59 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,336 times
Forgive me if this has been asked already, why does the OP think that the neighbor is violent? It just said that he has "carnal knowledge" of a young teen. Although definitely criminal it's not necessarily violent. Did the sex offender registry specify that violence had been used while committing the crime?

Old 07-16-2016, 06:14 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
That's pretty unusual type of alert to receive.

Back to your question, that person served his/her time in jail, so I think they deserve a second chance at having an honorable life. emember everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Plus, you don't know the whole story, it might be different from what it sounds like.
Not really. Since my information, including security status, ssn, etc.; was hacked when from the Federal governments Office of Personal Management's site, I was provided CSID protection and I get a notice whenever a sex offender moved any where within a mile or two.
Per the CSID website, this is the reason for sec offender notification.
Approximately 16% of registered sex offenders have adopted techniques used by identity thieves – altering names, birthdays, Social Security numbers and other personal information – to evade authorities.

But not sure what this really means to me and what difference it makes if someone attempts to steal my identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships