Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 08:12 AM

22 posts, read 14,119 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about meeting with a counselor sometime this week at school, it would be a smart move to get another opinion on it all. It's tough for me because who's gonna believe a 17 year old kid? When I called the police and I told him what has been happening and for all he knows he probably thinks I'm wanting to go off and do drugs and all these other terrible things. My parents talked to the officer and they were telling him how bad of a kid I was for not having the tracker enabled on my phone and they never know what I'm doing. I'm never ever doing anything bad Ive never tried alcohol or drugs and my parents keep thinking I'm off doing those things.

But, it's whatever I'm out of the house for now my friends parents own a dealership and let me borrow one of their cars and they really do care for me they literally saw me on the side of the street walking they picked me up gave me a room and some food and took me in like it was nothing I'm so grateful for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am glad that you have a place to live.

Perhaps, I missed it, but when are you turning 18?
When are you graduating from HS?
I turn 18 in late January, graduate from HS in June this year all my credits are fulfilled and technically could graduate early but deciding not to.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:40 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards07256 View Post
I turn 18 in late January, graduate from HS in June this year all my credits are fulfilled and technically could graduate early but deciding not to.
Thank you for the information. I know that you are pretty busy right now but what are you doing about your after graduation plans? Have you visited colleges? Taken the ACT/SAT and other placement tests? Some colleges have an October 1st due date for early admittance (at least that used to be the due date). Have you started filling out forms/writing essays/asking for & getting references/etc. to prepare for college applications?

Or are you planning to do something else after HS? Are you making plans for that?

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:21 AM

I have taken the ACT and I'm planning on attending a local technical college I visited some colleges and I think the technical college is my best choice for the career I want to get into. I haven't prepared at all really for it, I probably should start writing my essay.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:23 AM

My father has reported me as a runaway and now I'm forced to go back home, so I'm living back at home forcefully for now. I hope you can read the excitement in my voice. I was so happy in the last 24 hours then my dad texted me saying he was gonna call the cops on me, this house has such a gloomy and depressing mood to it I really don't want to be here.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:41 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Edwards, this will pass.
Hang in there until January, going through the motions until you get free. Trust me when I tell you that this is only the blink of an eye in your life.
Technical college is a great plan and Im sure you will do well. Work with your guidance counsellor to make sure you line things up so this will happen. Let the adults around you support your efforts.
All 3 of my sons were, or are, in the Army and two of them went through the most rigorous training, like Ranger School and SERE school and others. They learned it was easy to endure as long as they had the proper mindset. You can have the proper mindset to get you through also, by focusing on the goals you have set for yourself and remembering, no matter what your parents say, that you are an individual.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I do wonder what the end game is for the parents. Do they imagine that the OP will remain in their house and under their thumb after he is legally able to leave home? What are they thinking?

OP, I think you are stuck. Print off a calendar and X off every day until you are 18, or until you graduate--whichever is the end date for you to live at home. Keep it in a safe place--perhaps your school locker.

Make a plan. Live as best you can in your home.

Have you talked to your counselor? I don't know if he or she can help, but it can't hurt to talk.

Yeah, work on your essay. Your future depends on actions you take now. You are being forced to think in a grown up way; this is hard. But, decisions you make now will influence your future life.

Make a plan.

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:38 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Edwards, this will pass.
Hang in there until January, going through the motions until you get free. Trust me when I tell you that this is only the blink of an eye in your life.
Technical college is a great plan and Im sure you will do well. Work with your guidance counsellor to make sure you line things up so this will happen.
This! Find out what you need to do to be accepted into that technical college, and start doing it. Focus especially what your options will be if your parents won't support you financially; you don't want them to be in a position to backmail you ('we won't fill out the financial aid forms unless you promise to live at home" sort of thing). That may mean working full-time while going to school part-time, but you will manage! And don't worry so much about your driver's license; what you really need to get your hands on is your Social Security card and a certified copy of your birth certificate. Before you move out of your parents' home for good, make sure you have both those documents.

Hang in there! January's not that far away.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:39 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I do wonder what the end game is for the parents. Do they imagine that the OP will remain in their house and under their thumb after he is legally able to leave home?
Probably. The OP's 19 year old brother is still living at home, after all. In their eyes, why should the OP be any different?

Old 09-20-2016, 01:41 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
I grew up Pentecostal. VERY strict. My mom was not much of a mom for many reasons other than her religion. My dad is methodist and going to that church was like summer camp compared! Like you i wasnt allowed to hang out with boys or many friends. I wasnt allowed out past a certain time. I just had to be up to no good otherwise.

I moved out before 18 and im glad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships