Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 04:43 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times

Advertisements

I've never understood why people own multiple animals and do this. Why have the dogs if you find the maintenance to be too much to do?

I have some neighbors whose yards are really junky and I can see it looking out my front window. I don't like it at all, but if you choose to live in a neighborhood it can happen. As long as they keep it on their lawn not much you can do. I have to ask what did you expect? People that would do that are jerks and predictably would react that way I think. I think it would have been better to say nothing since you have to live next door to them. Sometimes its just better to keep the peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 04:43 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
[quote=poodlestix;44831363]That might be an idea about the bushes, but I'd have to run it by the HOA, because they are quite picky. You would think they wouldn't like dog poop, too.

And yes, while the poop being in the back would stink just as much, we don't hang out in the back at all, so we were just thinking it would be the better spot for it from our own point of view.[/quote

What you think doesn't matter.

Unless they are breaking the law, you cannot tell them what to do with their dog's crap. I wouldn't leave my dog's crap in the yard, but I also wouldn't tolerate someone telling where, in my own yard, I could take my dog.

HOAs are picky about dog poop, but generally not dog poop on private property. If the dog was crapping on your yard, the HOA would care.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:44 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
That might be an idea about the bushes, but I'd have to run it by the HOA, because they are quite picky. You would think they wouldn't like dog poop, too.

And yes, while the poop being in the back would stink just as much, we don't hang out in the back at all, so we were just thinking it would be the better spot for it from our own point of view.
If the HOA is that picky then a notification to the HOA may be in order.
Is this a rental home? If so contacting the landlord might be in order as well.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:17 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Are the dogs wandering into your yard to do their business?

Old 07-20-2016, 05:19 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
You should have mentioned to them that dog feces attracts rats (and to the HOA if necessary) and if they have baby, that might make them at least give it some thought.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:32 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
We have been in this neighborhood a little over five years and have always gotten along with everybody. A few months back, a single pregnant woman with three indoor dogs moved in to the house next to us. She likes to let all three dogs go into the front yard to do their business, and then it sits and stinks. She has a perfectly good back yard that she could let them do this in so that we wouldn't have to smell it when we come and go. My husband has mentioned this to her several times, but she hasn't changed her habits. When her baby was born, her parents moved in, apparently to help out. Now they are the ones bringing the dogs out front to do their business. My husband tried mentioning it to her father, and he got angry. He pointed out an indentation in our yard where my husband had to remove and repair a broken sprinkler and said that if he stepped in that hole, he would have to call the police on us. Well, for one thing, if he steps in that small hole, he would clearly be on our property and trespassing, but it was obviously a threat to tell us not to complain about the dog poop stink anymore. When he went back in the house, my husband immediately got some dirt to fill in the hole and had another neighbor that was outside witness him filling it in so he can't pretend that he fell in the hole and try to sue us. So for five years we got to breathe fresh air, and from now on, I guess we have to smell a stink because this family doesn't mind dog poop on their lawn. Any ideas of what we can do since they refuse to be reasoned with?

Find a new trailer. That's all you can do.

SS

Old 07-20-2016, 05:38 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Find a new trailer. That's all you can do.

SS
It's a house, thank you.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:39 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Picking up your dog's poo is all part of being a good pet owner - and neighbor. It can cause health problems but more for those who walk around on it.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:41 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
People that would do that are jerks and predictably would react that way I think. I think it would have been better to say nothing since you have to live next door to them. Sometimes its just better to keep the peace.
I agree. I wouldn't have said anything to them, but my husband insisted on doing so.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I'd check on the rules as laid out by your HOA. There might be something in the rules that states how pet feces are to be disposed of. I also think that planting bushes as a buffer between your yards is a good option. I think the HOA will tell you what is allowed, and I can't imagine that you can't plant anything at all on your property, to buffer yourselves from the stink in their lawn.

On the first showing of the house we ultimately moved into, we encountered a backyard literally full of dog feces. The yard was so bad that the dog refused to do his business there, and continually soiled the carpet. I wonder if that might not happen in the front yard of your neighbor's house, if they continue.

This is unsightly and really ignorant on the part of your neighbors. That's why HOAs are useful, and sometimes a pain in the neck. But start there. When you discuss this, don't allow yourself to get emotional. Pictures might be useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships