Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 05:43 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post

How should i handle my friends down in LA?

I tell my x girlfriend amd friends down in LA that LA is a dump and a waste of land.
I'm pretty sure you are losing your LA friends because you are making such statements to them. Some people get really offended if you "diss" their city. Just look around here on CD city forums for examples.

I grew up in DC and live in NYC. I fell out of touch with some friends from DC after I moved, and kept in touch with many others. Many of my DC friends come up to visit and I go to DC all the time. I like NYC more than I like DC, but I don't "diss" their city.

MY advice: tone down the whole "LA is a dump" stuff with your friends who live in (and may love) LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 09:21 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Having lived both places, and now quite comfortable in Seattle area, I'm tempted to bash LA. Truth is, though, I visit every couple years for a long weekend because it's an easy and cheap flight down. Caught a break on last minute rooms at the Four Seasons in BH, in January, too so that was way-fun for me and the then-GF.

That-said, I'm here due to economics. I'd live in SF still if it wasn't near-impossible to get ahead. That ship sailed eighteen years ago, I suspect.

Now Seattle is tough to get ahead, if you're not an incumbent! Where is the next up and coming metro, hmm.

Back to the question: I left many friends in SF and LA. All faded away, but one. What they felt was not super relevant, though I am empathetic to the sadness of losing friends. I dunno; over time, it just fades. No explanation was forthcoming from me, and there didn't need to be. The one friend I kept moved to Santa Barbara with his wife. I doubt he offered any explanation to those he left behind in SF. They, like me, are independent-types though I fly solo and they are obviously a couple.

I wouldn't knock where you left, it sounds stupid and bitter. The only place I'd live in LA is BH, Palos Verdes, or similar if not somewhere out Claremont way (near Pomona) instead. Odds of that happening in my working years are essentially zero, Seattle is a gold mine for what I do and the savings substantial (lots of water, too, for my yard). The previous does not "diminish" that the places I mentioned are *nice places to live* for hundreds of thousands, however.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:59 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Having lived both places, and now quite comfortable in Seattle area, I'm tempted to bash LA. Truth is, though, I visit every couple years for a long weekend because it's an easy and cheap flight down. Caught a break on last minute rooms at the Four Seasons in BH, in January, too so that was way-fun for me and the then-GF.

That-said, I'm here due to economics. I'd live in SF still if it wasn't near-impossible to get ahead. That ship sailed eighteen years ago, I suspect.

Now Seattle is tough to get ahead, if you're not an incumbent! Where is the next up and coming metro, hmm.

Back to the question: I left many friends in SF and LA. All faded away, but one. What they felt was not super relevant, though I am empathetic to the sadness of losing friends. I dunno; over time, it just fades. No explanation was forthcoming from me, and there didn't need to be. The one friend I kept moved to Santa Barbara with his wife. I doubt he offered any explanation to those he left behind in SF. They, like me, are independent-types though I fly solo and they are obviously a couple.

I wouldn't knock where you left, it sounds stupid and bitter. The only place I'd live in LA is BH, Palos Verdes, or similar if not somewhere out Claremont way (near Pomona) instead. Odds of that happening in my working years are essentially zero, Seattle is a gold mine for what I do and the savings substantial (lots of water, too, for my yard). The previous does not "diminish" that the places I mentioned are *nice places to live* for hundreds of thousands, however.
Im from the san fernando valley portion of LA from a place called Encino. My parents still live in Encino. Im visiting them this august and then again for thanksgiving.

It is a cheap flight down there. I usually find $75 each way on southwest airlines.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:00 PM

Life changes all the time. So far im starting to make new friends in the seattle area.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:48 PM

720 posts, read 766,051 times
Just to clarify OP, were you 35 before you left your parents' home or did I misunderstand?

Old 08-03-2016, 10:55 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
I'd think that girlfriend would jump at the chance to ditch LA for Seattle.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
Just to clarify OP, were you 35 before you left your parents' home or did I misunderstand?
I was 34 before i left my parents house.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I'd think that girlfriend would jump at the chance to ditch LA for Seattle.
She tried to move into my seattle apartment but i told her no.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:30 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Well, folks don't like to hear bad things about where they live. Maybe for you Seattle is better than LA, but that doesn't mean that maybe to your friends in LA they don't like LA better. So, if you want to have friends in areas other than the one you're in, try not to say bad things about other areas.

Actually, it's best to not make direct comparisons if you can help it. You can tell them that the beaches in LA are better than the ones in Seattle, but you love the coffee in Seattle. Everyone gets to be best at something and you still get to keep friends.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:43 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,458 times
Just ghost on 'em. This isn't hard, don't make it hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
View detailed profiles of: