Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 10:14 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times

Advertisements

Does it make me a bad person for not bothering to visit extended family (aunts, cousins, etc.) when I visit their city for work? My aunt gave me a hard time when I let it slip that I visited San Antonio without seeing her. I just don't see her very often and she doesn't play a big role in my life. It isn't that I dislike her. I just don't care about her, to be frank. That's how I feel about other extended family as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 10:38 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
My aunt gave me a hard time when I let it slip that I visited San Antonio without seeing her. I just don't see her very often and she doesn't play a big role in my life. It isn't that I dislike her. I just don't care about her, to be frank. That's how I feel about other extended family as well.
She might play a bigger role, if you would spend some time with her!

I would have spared an hour or so for a quick visit and/or a meal, but that's me.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:48 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Does it make me a bad person for not bothering to visit extended family (aunts, cousins, etc.) when I visit their city for work? My aunt gave me a hard time when I let it slip that I visited San Antonio without seeing her. I just don't see her very often and she doesn't play a big role in my life. It isn't that I dislike her. I just don't care about her, to be frank. That's how I feel about other extended family as well.
Well, it depends.

Often, people do not have the time to visit relatives if they are traveling for business. But, if you have the time, or travel to that city often, it would be nice to occasional make arrangements to see your aunt. Meeting her for breakfast or an evening meal together, whether that is once a year or once every six months or whatever, would make your relationship stronger. After all she did grow up with one of your parents and, presumably, is close to them.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:55 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,914 times
You are not a bad person. If your schedule permits maybe you can do a quick meal or even a phone call from your hotel room. When you travel for business, your schedule is often regimented and you may not have time for visiting. How often does she come to visit you?

Old 08-03-2016, 10:57 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
I would at least make time for a meal with her. It isn't about being a bad person...but its just the right thing to do (unless you have a bad relationship with her).

Old 08-03-2016, 11:00 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
I touch base with the relative to let them know I'll be in the area and my schedule is tight.

My last trip I invited my cousin to join us for ziplining and her mom to lunch after. When time is tight it's sometimes easier to invite them to your existing plans. Tried to hook up with nephew and GF but there was no free time.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-03-2016, 11:01 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times
I guess I'm a heartless bastard because I just don't care enough to visit, even if hurts the person's feelings. I'd rather hang out on CD or watch TV or something.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:04 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
I guess I'm a heartless bastard because I just don't care enough to visit, even if hurts the person's feelings. I'd rather hang out on CD or watch TV or something.
It's a choice. I learned the importance of family when my husband died. There are a lot of things I would rather do, but I find keeping in touch more important.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-03-2016, 11:08 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
I wonder if you also would rather "hang out on CD or watch TV or something" rather than visit your parents. Do you care if you hurt their feelings?

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-03-2016 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-03-2016, 11:15 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
I'd just say it's nothing personal, but I was there for business and that is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships