Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 04:40 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times

Advertisements

There is some Turkish soap that I really like that smells like soap. I actually buy this soap.

There is some fancy French soaps that smell awesome that I really like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 11:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,467,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
My brother in law went to Europe for vacations. On he way back he got me a bar of soap in a small tin box. The soap smells weird and I am scared to use it because it reminds me of detergent. I am somewhat upset why he got me such a gift. Last gift I got him was an amazon gift card. I would be better off if he didn't get me anything. I am not a beautician and not into skin care products etc. Just a regular guy who likes cars and outdoor stuff like anyone else.

I don't want it to be an issue with my wife but it is really bothering me. What was he thinking? Should I just ignore and keep moving on with my life. I don't want to be rude to him and tell him "thanks for this crappy gift"...I would be fine with a fridge magnet or a key chain....
Well, it's not like he could have brought back a Ferrari or the European outdoors. And how is a magnet or key chain really better than soap?

[]

Old 08-05-2016, 11:48 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,440 times
Quote:
My brother in law went to Europe for vacations. On he way back he got me a bar of soap in a small tin box. The soap smells weird and I am scared to use it because it reminds me of detergent. I am somewhat upset why he got me such a gift. Last gift I got him was an amazon gift card. I would be better off if he didn't get me anything. I am not a beautician and not into skin care products etc. Just a regular guy who likes cars and outdoor stuff like anyone else.

I don't want it to be an issue with my wife but it is really bothering me. What was he thinking? Should I just ignore and keep moving on with my life. I don't want to be rude to him and tell him "thanks for this crappy gift"...I would be fine with a fridge magnet or a key chain....
look in the mirror and ask yourself "what can i do today to become a better person".

Old 08-06-2016, 03:07 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
It's your wife's brother. It thought enough of you to bring you a gift. You want a happy life? Forget it.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:47 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Gift cards are thoughtless.
They really are. I can't believe people think they're so great. My wife occasionally says, "I'll just give [insert Name here] a gift card." I say, "Stop right there. We're going to think about what [Name] likes and come up with something, then mail/give it to him/her, no matter how long it takes." Or even worse, giving the "gift" of cash. To me, getting a gift card/cash suggests that we don't want to bother to take the time to determine what the person really wants and that we will just give them something quick and convenient for us. So we decide on an item, buy it, then send it, along with a gift receipt so the recipient can return it if the item is unacceptable for whatever reason. Apparently sending the receipt with the gift is a good policy, as evidenced by the length of this thread

Old 08-06-2016, 08:30 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
They really are. I can't believe people think they're so great. My wife occasionally says, "I'll just give [insert Name here] a gift card." I say, "Stop right there. We're going to think about what [Name] likes and come up with something, then mail/give it to him/her, no matter how long it takes." Or even worse, giving the "gift" of cash. To me, getting a gift card/cash suggests that we don't want to bother to take the time to determine what the person really wants and that we will just give them something quick and convenient for us. So we decide on an item, buy it, then send it, along with a gift receipt so the recipient can return it if the item is unacceptable for whatever reason. Apparently sending the receipt with the gift is a good policy, as evidenced by the length of this thread
I generally agree, but I've grudgingly somewhat come around to them. They seem to be very popular with kids, and my kids have a lot of crap. When they get gifts, they tend to be just additional stuff we have to deal with, and often are not the things they would have picked out. The gift cards are so much more useful because then we can go to the store and get exactly the item they want.

And my MIL especially tends to give me gifts that are completely useless to me and cost a lot of money. I like it much more if I get a gift card and can get something I want.

But, yes, I agree that a thoughtful gift is one of the greatest things ever. I love it when I find a gift that I really think the recipient will love, and when the recipient really does love it, well, it's just the best feeling in the world. But a number of times I've been stumped, and just can't find something that I think is perfect. And I can tell in the thanks that it wasn't something that thrills them. (Don't get me wrong, the thank yous are perfectly appropriate and worded nicely and exactly what they should do, etiquette-wise. But I can see when the true enthusiasm isn't there.)

I feel badly when I can't come up with a great gift, and usually I don't feel good about sending a gift card. (Although I can feel good if the gift card is to a particular restaurant that is maybe high end and I know the recipient wouldn't otherwise go there, mostly due to cost, or to a small, locally-owned business that helps the community.)

So, yeah, a gift card to Target or Amazon isn't exciting, but I've grudgingly accepted that sometimes they are the best option.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:08 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Gift cards are thoughtless.
People who think this must never lack the money to buy the things they want/need.

You know what I get all the time for gifts? Jewelry (I don't go anyplace where I need jewelry), scarves (I have more than 100 of them, most of which were gifts), and books that aren't anything I would ever want to read.

I would LOVE to get a gift card. Maybe I could replace a clothing item I've worn out or buy some items I can't afford that might improve my living situation. As for other people ... do you really think you know what your grandchildren want? Are you really sure the seniors you know have any money left over at the end of the month? I know more than one person whose life would be improved with a supermarket gift card. I know some very young homeowners who would be over the moon with a Home Depot gift card.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:25 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:

Lighten up will ya!........ It could have been make up!! LOL

It's the thought that counts

Old 08-07-2016, 09:35 PM

30,613 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Give it back to him with a note so he and your wife know what an ungrateful person you are.
I am completely disgusted by the original post. Serious, you're upset/thinking about raising something as an issue because you're not happy with the gift you received? Give me a break!

Old 08-07-2016, 09:55 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Ability to graciously accept a gift is as important as ability to give a gift.
It's act of giving and receiving that counts, not what was given.
I came across many, my wife included, that can not graciously accept gifts. Esp if they were reasonably expensive.

Accept gift and bless the giving hand. That's the best way to conduct yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships