Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 01:06 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times

Advertisements

As long as our kids go to school they can live rent free, although we do expect them to help out around the house even though they are considered adults. LOL One son works at two restaurants getting $10 an hour plus tips and he also goes to school. We don't charge him anything. He will put gas in the tank and he does pay for his car insurance and cell phone.

Our rule is if the kids are not going to school they can work and pay rent, and we will charge them $500 a month to live in our home. My wife and I don't need the money, we want them to know what it is like to be adults. If that ever happens we plan on sticking the money in a savings account for them and when they are ready to move out on their own they will have money in the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 01:31 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
Not if they were in college. Once they graduate and start working they can still live with me but I would expect them to contribute monetarily to the household.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:21 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
... Often adult children are in the position to move their elderly parents in with them or provide some level of care. Should parents also pay rent or wages to their adult children?
Hell, yes.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:01 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
We're not there yet, but I can't see charging them so much that it's near impossible for them to save up enough money to eventually move out ($8-$10k security deposits are standard here). There's a difference between extended adolescence and living at home as a contributing adult; we're aiming for the latter.

Friends of ours have both of their 20-something kids at home, and they seem to have a good system going, IMO. They both pay 1/4 of the utilities and one is responsible for keeping the house stocked with meat, and the other stocked with produce, as well as doing their share of household upkeep.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:10 PM

52,236 posts, read 52,655,546 times
I think you're doing the right thing by thinking about what's the best thing and wanting to contribute. I tend to give a pass when the kids are going to college, but that's just me and it depends on the situation. Maybe you help out with the electric bill or gas bill or something like that. Pitch in for the food, that might be good. Ask her and she what she thinks. In this situation there isn't a one size fits all type of answer.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
We're not there yet, but I can't see charging them so much that it's near impossible for them to save up enough money to eventually move out ($8-$10k security deposits are standard here). There's a difference between extended adolescence and living at home as a contributing adult; we're aiming for the latter.

Friends of ours have both of their 20-something kids at home, and they seem to have a good system going, IMO. They both pay 1/4 of the utilities and one is responsible for keeping the house stocked with meat, and the other stocked with produce, as well as doing their share of household upkeep.

Sort of an odd break out of responsibilities but heck, whatever works. I would think, Hey, I'll take the water/trash bill or whatever. But the meat guy might be getting the short end of the stick, especially if he lived in this house.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Sort of an odd break out of responsibilities but heck, whatever works. I would think, Hey, I'll take the water/trash bill or whatever. But the meat guy might be getting the short end of the stick, especially if he lived in this house.
Honestly, I think both kidults have a sweet deal. They both have good jobs, but they wouldn't be living nearly as well as if they were on their own and shelling out $2k per month each for a small apartment, versus buying a few pounds of chicken each week, 1/4 of the utilities, and enough leftover to afford the payment and insurance on a new car. And they know it too, which is a good thing.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:02 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post

What does everyone think? I'd especially like to hear the opinions' of parents & their experience with this.
My Mom charged me 'rent' while I was in college and living at home. No problem. Things were good until she raised my rent 50% from $100 to $150!!

[]

Old 08-05-2016, 09:07 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
My mother was going to charge me rent while I went to college full time. Financially, things were very tight especially once child support ended when I graduated HS.
I chose to move out instead of pay rent. (Mainly due to conflicts with my stepdad.)

I did move back in when I was 30 for a few months. I moved back to my home state and the sale on my house across the country fell through. I couldn't afford rent and a mortgage, so my mom and step dad allowed me to live with them until the house sold, rent-free. I am still making it up to them by buying them things they need around the house, groceries, dinner out,etc... They would never ask, but I feel the need to show my gratitude.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Honestly, I think both kidults have a sweet deal. They both have good jobs, but they wouldn't be living nearly as well as if they were on their own and shelling out $2k per month each for a small apartment, versus buying a few pounds of chicken each week, 1/4 of the utilities, and enough leftover to afford the payment and insurance on a new car. And they know it too, which is a good thing.
Mrs. Chow's older brother used to be sorta well do to. He was upper upper middle class business owner has a nice big spread down in the San Diego area and for those not familiar with west coast real estate, San Diego is premium land. He owns a large piece of property and has a "mother in law" house in the back of the property and his older son and his wife live there and he used to crab that they weren't too regular on the rent. LOL, the rent they charged was chump change, I mean monthly Starbucks bill kind of rent. I used to half jokingly say that we'd pay him double and be on time when paying the rent, LOL.

Yeah... some people have it really good and don't even really realize how tough it really is out there.

We used to be friends with another couple and they were mid to late 40's and they lived at home with their parents. They lived there rent free, both had decent paying jobs used to blow obscene amounts of money on crapola and used to lament to us about how hard it was to save money for a down payment for a house.

I'm like give me a break, if I had the opportunity to make what I made without a real rent bill, hell, I'd saved up like a big dawg, like a big dawg......

They ate out every night, bought tons of crapola that they didn't need.. LOL... lots and lots more I could say, but you get the drift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships