Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 01:47 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Roommates share life together.
If you don't want that, you have to find a way to live by yourself.
Not always. I have shared apartments and we lived our own life without much talking. I asked that right away and when they said they all hang out together, I declined and kept looking.

OP, look for a room somewhere else. In my experience, the easiest roomies are people who don't have friends because they are on their computer 24/7 or playstation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 02:27 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I'm on my computer, someone taps me on the shoulder and says "do you know where the remote is?!?!" In the middle of the night I throw on some clothes because I need to smoke and a roommate says "you know your shirt's on backwards, right?" How can I politely tell these people I'm just trying to live my life and go about my usual routine without being constantly addressed and invited into conversations I have no wish to take part in?
Ha! You sound like me!

The only person I can chill at home with (without being bugged to death) is my 12 yr old son who has Autism. He is literally the ONLY person in the house who will actually LOOK for the remote first. Even if he can't find it he does not actually ASK for it.

Instead, he starts yelling "Re-moooote....Re-moooote; where are you? It's gone! Aaaugh...IT'S GONE!"

But at least he looks for it first!

Old 08-04-2016, 02:34 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Wow, you really need a new perspective on life.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:47 PM

427 posts, read 500,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
what are you looking at on the computer? Is there some reason you can't keep better track of the remote to help out your roomies? why are you smoking? smoking will give you cancer and ghastly skin. that whole shirt-on-backwards thing I think is just an attempt to be a non-conformist. why do you feel you have to be like this? volunteer your time at a local food shelf or drive heroin addicts to the methadone clinic.
I never use the TV. I'm always in my room or one of the backrooms people rarely use, in a vain effort to be alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
I'm introvert. Everybody tells me that. At work, with family, everywhere.

Looks to me that you are not introvert. You actually hate these people.
I definitely hate some of them. Many of them. Some of them I actually like, but just like me, they also like to be alone much of the time so I try not to talk to them too much or be clingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Living in a rooming house like that will often have you living with sketchy people. Many will be unemployed on welfare, some with mental issues and are likely to cause the other residents a problem. Believe me I have been there. Years ago I lived in such a place where the cops were tossing it on a daily basis and one year a resident was shot in the head.

From you're prior posts you are trying to live in an expensive city working low paying jobs. You either need a marketable skill that will lead to a high paying job, or you should consider moving to a lower cost of living area where a low paying job goes much further.
Well, these low paying jobs aren't my career goal and I don't plan on working them for much longer. I also don't need to live with 20 other people like I am now, I could afford living with just one other person. That would be a much easier scenario for me.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 08-04-2016 at 03:09 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 03:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
I also don't need to live with 20 other people like I am now, I could afford living with just one other person. That would be a much easier scenario for me.
Are you in a dorm??
Living with 20 other people sounds more like a frat house, and I would not care for that sort of chaos!

IF you CAN afford to live with one other, why are you with 20?

Old 08-04-2016, 03:32 PM

427 posts, read 500,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Are you in a dorm??
Living with 20 other people sounds more like a frat house, and I would not care for that sort of chaos!

IF you CAN afford to live with one other, why are you with 20?
Well, it was the only place I could find before moving to LA. I also went through some periods of joblessness so I pretty much spent all my money within a couple months here. So I'm basically trapped here until I save up a little money.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:35 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,514 times
I'll guarantee you if you move in with a boyfriend, he will ask you many random questions too. Learn to live with it or become a cat lady

Old 08-04-2016, 04:27 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
I'm on my computer, someone taps me on the shoulder and says "do you know where the remote is?!?!" In the middle of the night I throw on some clothes because I need to smoke and a roommate says "you know your shirt's on backwards, right?" How can I politely tell these people I'm just trying to live my life and go about my usual routine without being constantly addressed and invited into conversations I have no wish to take part in?
Quote:
I got two job offers this week and accepted one... after a grueling three week job search. I don't think I can afford living on my own in this city so I'm on the lookout for a boyfriend I can live with someday. I'd much rather snuggle up with a cute guy every night or live with close friends or collaboraters than in some rotten studio apartment in the wrong side of town.

Right now I basically live in this long term hostel style arrangement with A LOT of people. For an introvert like me, it is absolute torture. I don't fit in here at all.
Quit smoking and maybe you won't have to depend on roommates OR a guy....but hey, live your life cuz it sounds great!

BTW, I used to smoke 2 packs a day in college and I never got up in the middle of the night to smoke - you must have it bad!

Old 08-04-2016, 04:30 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
I always hated having a roommate. When I was in the army in Germany I had to share one room with 5 men. It was horrible.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:52 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,037 times
Answer to first question: No. (If you do know and feel like pointing or spending 2 seconds to go get it .. then fine .. but otherwise, just answer simply.)

Answer to second question: Yes. (No need to say you like it that way, or stop to chat as you turn it around. If you 'feel' like being polite, you could add two more words ... thank you.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships