Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 12:38 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times

Advertisements

Ok let's try this again...

I have a friend. In a conversation my former neighbor told everyone that I hate her. I reached out to let her know that was certainly not the case and apologized for giving that impression.

This was the best way I could think of to handle it but I could be wrong. How would you handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 01:03 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
How old is this "friend"? 12? That's middle-school behavior.

If I felt an "apology" were appropriate, I'd make sure I offered it in the presence of as many witnesses as possible. If her reaction was as immature as her accusation makes her appear to be, that would tell the grownups in the room everything they need to know about her.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:14 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
How old is this "friend"? 12? That's middle-school behavior.

If I felt an "apology" were appropriate, I'd make sure I offered it in the presence of as many witnesses as possible. If her reaction was as immature as her accusation makes her appear to be, that would tell the grownups in the room everything they need to know about her.
I thought the same thing, but apparently this has been festering for over a year which is causing other people to not talk to me.

She is mid 20's. Other friends in group were 40-44, but they are still in the go out every night party phase. I can't not do I have time for that type of social activities

Old 08-08-2016, 01:37 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,328 times
You need new friends.

If people are really your friends, they'd know to talk to you to get the truth and not rely on something that a friend of a friend said.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:19 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
I just put the hammer down HARD on a long time member of the community hall that was telling anyone that would listen that I wasn't interested in being on the Board. How she came to that conclusion since I haven't even SEEN her since the fall in problematic. People like this are just destructive; you have to come down hard on them to save your own rep.

You don't need to apologize for anything. I sent an email asking this nutcase to phone/call me and (nicely) explain where her brain was. Since she's three times older than your friends she doesn't have an excuse, except maybe on set dementia. She never called, and was removed from the Board.

I'd let your former neighbor know you're not impressed with her "advocacy" of YOUR business.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:49 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,013 times
Sounds like a bunch of pre-school nonsense.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:57 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,120 times
This is what makes me see red...
I'm not an advocate of "he said...she said..." It's hearsay, and I tell anybody who listens that you should NEVER rely on third party information! I've been through similar situations in the past, and like thedwightguy, I also lower the hammer on anyone who does this. I'll go after both the person who told me and that who allegedly said it. Bring both together and hash things out once and for all! And I won't be very tactful about it either!

Old 08-10-2017, 11:01 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
[quote=LowonLuck;45055001]Ok let's try this again...

I have a friend. In a conversation my former neighbor told everyone that I hate her. I reached out to let her know that was certainly not the case and apologized for giving that impression.

This was the best way I could think of to handle it but I could be wrong. How would you handle this?[/quote]

yeah, I would have done the same. Did you call her?

Old 08-10-2017, 11:18 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Ok let's try this again...

This was the best way I could think of to handle it but I could be wrong. How would you handle this?
Like most of your other life choices you discuss on this board, you make really terrible ones when it comes to your friends. People who behave this way provide lots of clues before they behave this way.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:19 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver;49142739[B
]Like most of your other life choices you discuss on this board,[/b] you make really terrible ones when it comes to your friends. People who behave this way provide lots of clues before they behave this way.
Seconded, it's like a bad SNL skit set in a trailer park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships