Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 12:06 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
$300? That would be about 15-20 first dates for me in US dollars.
LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 12:07 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Just a SWAG, but I don't get the feeling the OP is a sports fan.

I would imagine more of a fan of WoW.
Work Out World, the gym?

Old 08-15-2016, 12:08 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Work Out World, the gym?
Lol! No, I was thinking more World of Warcraft.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:09 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
$300? That would be about 15-20 first dates for me in US dollars.
This is another good point (I can't believe I'm agreeing with Dissenter)...how many people choose either a movie or a full-fledged dinner as a first date?

Don't people typically start a bit smaller just to see if they like one another? If you two don't hit it off, it's awful to be stuck to the person's side in a theater for a couple of hours, both of you with your eyes latched to the screen and silently ticking off the minutes until it's over.

I always found coffee to be the traditional meet-for-the-first-time date and I always appreciated it as a suggestion (or I would suggest it myself), because it didn't latch me down to hours with the person on the chance we didn't get along, there wasn't that guilt of "he spent so much time and money on me and now I can't even think of kissing him closed-mouthed, ugh" (always a possibility), and it took the stress away as it was so casual. No need to go crazy buying a new outfit and doing everything to the nines, either.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Lol! No, I was thinking more World of Warcraft.
Oh, a game.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:10 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Who needs an excuse not to have girlfriend? Why not just drop it already. I never knew being single was such a bad thing.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
This is another good point (I can't believe I'm agreeing with Dissenter)...how many people choose either a movie or a full-fledged dinner as a first date?

Don't people typically start a bit smaller just to see if they like one another? If you two don't hit it off, it's awful to be stuck to the person's side in a theater for a couple of hours, both of you with your eyes latched to the screen and silently ticking off the minutes until it's over.

I always found coffee to be the traditional meet-for-the-first-time date and I always appreciated it, whether my date accepted my paying for my own cup or not, because it didn't latch me down to hours with the person on the chance we didn't get along, there wasn't that guilt of "he spent so much time and money on me and now I can't even think of kissing him closed-mouthed, ugh" (always a possibility), and it took the stress away as it was so casual. No need to go crazy buying a new outfit and doing everything to the nines, either.

95% of them for me and most people I know are going out for some drinks and talking, so depending on the night and the chemistry, it could be cheap, or not cheap. But when the chemistry is great, who the freak cares...

But movies aren't good first dates... but I don't think we were talking about "first dates" in general. The OP was talking about dating dating, not first dates in particular... or that is how I took it.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
Don't worry about his finances, in a few weeks football season will be in full swing, and that will become his excuse for not having a girlfriend. New season, new reason.
After that, he'll bow out because it might have rained the night before the date and the rain might have frozen on the sidewalks, making it dangerous to do what the OP's prospective date had suggested, walking around the city.

(Ask me how I know this...)

Old 08-15-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
95% of them for me and most people I know are going out for some drinks and talking, so depending on the night and the chemistry, it could be cheap, or not cheap. But when the chemistry is great, who the freak cares...
95% of first dates for you are either the movies or a full dinner? Just clarifying because by following up saying most people you know go out for drinks and talking, you're stating your first date M.O. as comparatively unusual. Which would make sense, actually.

A drink or two I can see and as you said, extending it IF things are all going great. Of which there is NO guarantee on a first date...that's what the first meet-up is for.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Who needs an excuse not to have girlfriend? Why not just drop it already. I never knew being single was such a bad thing.
Nobody does, and that's the point.

*The OP feels* he does. That's why he's making this girl's silly comment out to be malicious and beyond the pale. He has to, because he feels he has to have an excuse.

He's afraid to JUST say, "You know what? I actually don't want a girlfriend, period."

If he owned that there wouldn't even be this thread, actually.

None of us are saying the OP needs an excuse, we're saying the excuses he's pulling out of wherever in desperate denial are silly. Because they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships