Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 11:50 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Thats actually an option. I could to get out of it lol. But im not a huge fan of flying. And its NY to ocean city MD so i think id have to fly to BWI, whcih is still 3 hours from ocean city ;( it might be more of a headache than driving. But i could avoid the car this way lol

It would also be more expensive. These weddings cost an arm and a leg !

Bus Routes from New York, NY to Ocean City, MD from $45.00 | Greyhound

https://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 06:51 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Interesting, I was asked to tote a bridesmaid to a wedding once. Only a couple of hours, Thoroughly enjoyable! She was grateful!

Old 08-14-2016, 08:24 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
I was thinking about this, and if you both acknowledge that it's potentially awkward, and the other person has a sense of humor, that could be a good ice breaker and it could be fun. If the other person is fun. (hope she is)

Old 08-14-2016, 08:41 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,908,228 times
I'm kind of stunned at how many believe this passenger is entitled to get a lift from you. It's 100% the OP's comfort level and do not let anyone guilt trip you into a 5 hour (potentially 10 hours RT) ride.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:56 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I'm kind of stunned at how many believe this passenger is entitled to get a lift from you. It's 100% the OP's comfort level and do not let anyone guilt trip you into a 5 hour (potentially 10 hours RT) ride.
It's likely just the extroverts thinking that having someone along will make the drive easier and more fun - but the OP clearly stated her issues and her introverted nature won't likely be going away even if this WAS a great experience.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:18 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,815,699 times
It's funny, I am a total introvert, however, this wouldn't bother me one bit. The party and being around a ton of people would be the part I would avoid like the plague. That part would exhaust me and I would be totally uncomfortable the entire time I was attending the event. One-on-one interactions I am cool with.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:41 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
*title should say "stranger" - can't edit it !

i'm going to a bachelorette party in a month and it's roughly 5 hours away so i was going to drive down there by myself. but i was asked to pick up one of the bride's friends who i have never met. the thought of being in a car with someone i don't know for 5 hours, just us two, and possibly longer if we hit traffic (which we will because it's labor day weekend) is absolutely horrifying to me. i know i have a little bit of social anxiety and i'm an introvert so i'd much rather do the trip alone with an awesome playlist to listen to in my car - so i'm just wondering how a normal, social person would feel about this.... what if you have nothing to talk about?! i feel like it would be super uncomfortable.
What about having lunch with her beforehand in order to get to know her? And then plan your 5 hour road trip together. Maybe along the way are some fun places to stop to eat and shop. Don't drive all 5 hours straight through.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:32 AM

997 posts, read 936,482 times
I understand your point but I would suggest you do it. I think it might turn out well and sometimes you do have to go outside your comfort zone. It is a situation that has potential for turning out better then you expected.

She probably is not a serial killer and you might make a friend, or at least an acquaintance so the bachelorette party might be more comfortable in general if you feel you have another ally.

I had to do something today that was way outside my comfort zone. I had to do it because I was asked and for me it was unquestionably the right thing to do. I had anxiety over it but it turned out very well.

What is right for you? What feels right? Sometimes the thing that you don't like, is what is right in a particular situation.

But it's your car, your call.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:03 AM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
You're making too big a deal of it.
I can see how this situation could make someone uncomfortable. I would feel uneasy too, but...

To OP:
Considering this involves family I suggest getting to know this person a little better first. A conversation before going may help ease your mind.

I can't relate to the suggestions to lie you way out of it. I wouldn't have it in me to do that...

Old 08-15-2016, 06:25 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
so i'm just wondering how a normal, social person would feel about this.... what if you have nothing to talk about?! i feel like it would be super uncomfortable.
A normal, social person will be able to find something to talk about in those five hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships