Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 09:47 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times

Advertisements

I'd check with someone else familiar with this person and see if they are considered to be nice and considerate. If they are, then I'd go ahead with it and try to do a little conversation if that person seems open to talking to you. But yeah, with a car trip that long, you shouldn't be expected to chat during the whole time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 01:24 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Fly.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:06 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Fly.
Now you're talking, FIVE hours driving? To quote John Wayne's
character, Ethan Edwards, in "The Searchers", "That'll be the day."

Old 08-13-2016, 05:04 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You do have something in common, you're both friends with the bride. You are also going to be spending the weekend with this person and the bride. I think if you decline the ride, it could be an uncomfortable couple of days.

Think of the worst that could happen. Maybe you'll have little beyond a mutual friend in common, and the ride will involve a lot of awkward silences. Which will be for a few hours, not days.

Then consider the best that could happen. You'll make a new friend, the bride will remember why she thinks highly of you, and the wedding will become a chance to reconnect with the others attending the weekend, instead of an ordeal.
Isn't she the bride's future SIL? Not exactly a huge amount in common. I know a lot of time the future SILs just get invited to be in the wedding party out of some sense of obligation. I've certainly had friends invited to be bridesmaids who didn't even have a lick of interest in doing it, but really only did it not to hurt their brothers' feelings. It's an entirely different situation than enthusiastically joining in a wedding because you're friends with the bride. Then you get dragged into the bachelorette party and driving people to the party and the list goes on.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:25 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Fly.
Thats actually an option. I could to get out of it lol. But im not a huge fan of flying. And its NY to ocean city MD so i think id have to fly to BWI, whcih is still 3 hours from ocean city ;( it might be more of a headache than driving. But i could avoid the car this way lol

It would also be more expensive. These weddings cost an arm and a leg !

Last edited by bell235; 08-13-2016 at 09:02 AM..

Old 08-13-2016, 08:31 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Make the most of it.

Have some fall back conversation nuggets (about the bride, news, etc.). Play music, play podcasts, etc.

Offer to trade of driving while the other naps.

Lead with.... I hope you don't mind driving with a quiet person, I tend to be on the lower energy side. Don't want you to think I'm snotty.

Perfect!

Old 08-13-2016, 10:02 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Make the most of it.

Have some fall back conversation nuggets (about the bride, news, etc.). Play music, play podcasts, etc.

Offer to trade of driving while the other naps.

Lead with.... I hope you don't mind driving with a quiet person, I tend to be on the lower energy side. Don't want you to think I'm snotty.
Yes, that might help....I just think it's sad what an introvert has to do in order to avoid harsh judgement - must we all be seen as "snots", "snobs", "snooty"...or some other "sn" word?

If you're an extrovert does that automatically make you a joiner, shallow, or superficial?

Old 08-13-2016, 10:36 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
[quote=bell235;45093416]it's a she yeah hoping we click. i tend to not click with too many people. it's very rare i feel the click lol

Aww it's okay dear one. You can't help the way you're wired. You're an introvert on steroids. So is my John, but you'll never know if you'll click with her until you give it a try. Even extreme introverts have friends. I think it's part of why he's so deeply in love with me after 31 years. He doesn't let too many people into his tight confines, but when he does, they're very much valued. It's only one day out of your life. Go into it with an open mind.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:42 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
*title should say "stranger" - can't edit it !

i'm going to a bachelorette party in a month and it's roughly 5 hours away so i was going to drive down there by myself. but i was asked to pick up one of the bride's friends who i have never met. the thought of being in a car with someone i don't know for 5 hours, just us two, and possibly longer if we hit traffic (which we will because it's labor day weekend) is absolutely horrifying to me. i know i have a little bit of social anxiety and i'm an introvert so i'd much rather do the trip alone with an awesome playlist to listen to in my car - so i'm just wondering how a normal, social person would feel about this.... what if you have nothing to talk about?! i feel like it would be super uncomfortable.
Unbelievable.

You say you are an introvert and you have social anxiety.
Then you ask how a normal social person would deal with it.

Now introverts are abnormal. Thank you city-data forums for another timeless gem.

Tell the person you aren't giving her a ride because you're an introvert and let her wonder what that even means.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:46 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Unbelievable.

You say you are an introvert and you have social anxiety.
Then you ask how a normal social person would deal with it.

Now introverts are abnormal. Thank you city-data forums for another timeless gem.
Well i think society as a whole frowns on quiet people, they are misunderstood which u can even see by some of the replies on this thread. So thats why i posed it that way. I know im normal even though im quiet and would prefer to be alone but unfortunately majority of people would view me not wanting to drive with someone as abnormal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships