Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 01:25 PM

146 posts, read 120,481 times

Advertisements

Have you ever had family you have been around for many years, as time goes on they change. they stop feeling like they should be close to you, they dont want to help you. as a matter of fact, they will walk over you for themselves like its a competition. you may even see them treat others better than you, but you are told that you are supposed to love them. and they act irrational when they know its not good to be such a way, but they wont change. even if you do good to them, they dont appreciate it, and some family seem to only care about their close family i.e siblings\kids ect. anyone know what i mean ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 01:27 PM

22,300 posts, read 47,238,084 times
People change as they age/get experience/learn, some for the better, some worse.

You change too!

Old 08-17-2016, 01:36 PM

20,687 posts, read 19,824,686 times
People grow and change over the years. They start their own family and of course that is their priority. That's normal. I used to hang out with my cousin, now we aren't even talking much on family gatherings. No hard feelings, it is just how life goes.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:11 PM

146 posts, read 120,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
People grow and change over the years. They start their own family and of course that is their priority. That's normal. I used to hang out with my cousin, now we aren't even talking much on family gatherings. No hard feelings, it is just how life goes.
what about those who has stayed the same, loyal, there when ya need um, and would not change that.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:07 PM

20,687 posts, read 19,824,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplugnw View Post
what about those who has stayed the same, loyal, there when ya need um, and would not change that.

Let me guess - you are still single and everybody in your family/friends gets married and has kids and you feel left out?

Old 08-17-2016, 03:14 PM

22,300 posts, read 47,238,084 times
What happened to make you so glum, Sparkplugnw?

Old 08-17-2016, 03:58 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,059,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplugnw View Post
Have you ever had family you have been around for many years, as time goes on they change. they stop feeling like they should be close to you, they dont want to help you. as a matter of fact, they will walk over you for themselves like its a competition. you may even see them treat others better than you, but you are told that you are supposed to love them. and they act irrational when they know its not good to be such a way, but they wont change. even if you do good to them, they dont appreciate it, and some family seem to only care about their close family i.e siblings\kids ect. anyone know what i mean ?
Some people are just selfish, They may become bitter from life for whatever reason and take on a "me vs. world" mentality. Sometimes there reasons are from traumatic experiences, or they got burned by someone.

Life experiences shape us in many ways. Sometimes people hang onto things they should let go, inhibiting positive growth too.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:44 PM

8,225 posts, read 8,553,467 times
What kind of help are you asking for? How often?

You can't expect the same relationships with family as when you were teenagers. Times change and so do people. As you age more time goes to immediate family and the others will be in the wedding/funeral category. That doesn't mean your feelings toward them has changed it's just that other things are now more important.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:52 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,743,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
People change as they age/get experience/learn, some for the better, some worse.

You change too!
This is very wise. I would add that you cannot change others, only how you react. If people are unavailable, all you can do is accept that. And, be grateful for the good people in your life who ARE available. It took me a long time to accept this lesson. What else can you do? You can't chase anyone. Make contact every once in a while if you wish to, or let them go.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,217,362 times
Well, I've been afraid of changin'
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older
And I'm getting older too
And I'm getting older too
Oh, take my love, take it down
Climb a mountain and turn around

Stevie Nicks
Landslide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships