Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 12:19 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,114,614 times

Advertisements

The last company where I worked had yearly United Way shakedown meetings where they hauled groups of 5 people in a conference room at a time and essentially bullied them into making a contribution. That never sat well with me so I stayed away from the people who volunteered to be the shaker-downers but it was always the most hated time of year around the office, that's for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 12:20 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No need for that.
'No' is a complete sentence.

I am already over committed.
I cannot afford it at this time.
That is of no interest to me.
etc.
etc.
etc.

But you do not owe anyone a reason.
the only thing is that it's more than a "no"... because i already said yes, i've been saying yes for two years. i play a specific role in the group as well that someone would have to take over. i understand i don't have to give an explanation but it's not a "no".. it's a "i changed my mind after two years and now it's a no" lol.. does that make sense?

Old 08-18-2016, 12:22 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
i can't say no easily and two years ago my boss asked me if i wanted to be part of this volunteer group for a non profit organization. i said yes because i felt like i had to (i put networking on my goals on my performance evaluation and this was one of his suggestions). i've been a part of it for two years now but i don't want to be a part of it anymore. it is a financial commitment and a time commitment. in addition to that, we are supposed to bring people to these events we have and none of my friends/family ever want to go. it is just draining and i no longer want to be a part of it. how can i get out of this? it's hard because i don't have a real reason to no longer be part of the group....
This is easy. You've done your part for two years. So tell the organization and your boss it is time for someone else to volunteer. You're done.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Sure you have a reason... you don't have the time or the finances to serve in the capacity the group requires.
Respectfully, I disagree. There is no need for a reason or an excuse. The correct reason is "I've done my part for 2 years and I'm now moving on."

Whenever someone gives a reason or an excuse, this implies there is a negotiation and if the other party finds a solution to the stated reason that the volunteering will continue.

If it were me, I would not give the other side the idea that there is a negotiation. "I'm done. I'm moving on. I wish you the best of luck. Reason? What's the reason? The reason is I'm done."

If the reason is finances or time, then the other side can respond with "what if we solve the finances constraint?" or "what if we solve the time commitment issue" -- that is, a negotiation.

If it were me, the answer is clearly "this is not open to negotiation or to discussion. I'm done. I'm moving on."

Old 08-18-2016, 12:29 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Respectfully, I disagree. There is no need for a reason or an excuse. The correct reason is "I've done my part for 2 years and I'm now moving on."

Whenever someone gives a reason or an excuse, this implies there is a negotiation and if the other party finds a solution to the stated reason that the volunteering will continue.

If it were me, I would not give the other side the idea that there is a negotiation. "I'm done. I'm moving on. I wish you the best of luck. Reason? What's the reason? The reason is I'm done."

If the reason is finances or time, then the other side can respond with "what if we solve the finances constraint?" or "what if we solve the time commitment issue" -- that is, a negotiation.

If it were me, the answer is clearly "this is not open to negotiation or to discussion. I'm done. I'm moving on."

true, good point. i'm worried my boss will view it negatively and it will affect my job... what do you think?

Old 08-18-2016, 12:31 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Respectfully, I disagree.
LOL!
The OP gave those as the reasons she wants to stop serving, not me. You can disagree with her...

Old 08-18-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
true, good point. i'm worried my boss will view it negatively and it will affect my job... what do you think?
As a retired manager, I prefer direct & honest communication. I would probably ask my employee why they were leaving the volunteer gig in the sense of looking to see if there were something I, as a board member, should know -- e.g., there is fraud or theft or harassment or something negative that was causing you to stop.

There is nothing wrong with responding something like "I'm glad I did my part for 2 years, but it is time for me to move on to other things and time for someone else to volunteer" and then change the subject to something work related.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:36 PM

Actually, a slightly better response is "I successfully achieved the objectives I set for myself 2 years ago, and now it is time for me to move on."

Old 08-18-2016, 12:39 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Sure you have a reason... you don't have the time or the finances to serve in the capacity the group requires.
Exactly. OP, this doesn't sound like a simple networking opportunity, it sounds more like a bit of a shakedown. It's an odd suggestion for someone looking merely to network, if you ask me. There must be better opportunities that focus more on professional networking; professional associations and whatnot.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:42 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
the only thing is that it's more than a "no"... because i already said yes, i've been saying yes for two years. i play a specific role in the group as well that someone would have to take over. i understand i don't have to give an explanation but it's not a "no".. it's a "i changed my mind after two years and now it's a no" lol.. does that make sense?

Then say "After 2 years, I've decided I want to explore some other volunteer opportunities but in order to be able to do so unless I have to pass on volunteering in the future with your organization. I've enjoyed helping, but the time has come for me to move on to help in other ways". Might be a white lie or could be true, but either way it's a good excuse.

You gave 2 years of your time. They should be thankful you did and move on to someone who'd like to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships