Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 10:41 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But you see it is all about therm.

The OP thinks she knows more than people that have been around longer than she has. Because you see she has a smart phone, and the phone tells her everything.

She has to explain so many things to her poor mother, because it's not like the woman has more life experience, or gotten married, given birth, and raised children,

No, the OP knows much more than she does.

Well my mom is wondering why she never hears from my cousin and I didn't think people communicated with their Aunts like that.Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-21-2016 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: see sticky post about FB posts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 10:49 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
You only have drama if you allow yourself to feed into it.

Ignoring them is feeding into it. Treating them like family members you love would be a better way to go. Let your cousin do what she wants.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:54 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,864 times
This is from the same poster that didn't appreciate a co-worker commenting on his lunch choices.

In that scenario, you were looking for confirmation you should shut her out. Your first response is, apparently, to get angry.

Now you are moving on to your family, hoping we will agree with your tactics so you can shut them out, too.

It's apparent you have social issues. Don't take them lightly, as your shutting everyone out will result in a very lonely existence. Please talk to a neutral third party, hopefully, a therapist.

Last edited by reds37win; 08-21-2016 at 01:02 PM..

Old 08-21-2016, 12:08 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Good question. Maybe because they didn't want to hurt her feelings. One of my aunts didn't show up at all and looks like everyone should have done the same thing. I tried explaining to my mom if you want to communicate with her you have to do through
<edit>social media not phone or text.

You know, a lot of people like myself, and especially people from your parents generation, want a more intimate relationship and actually talk to people they love and care about. To them communicating through social media is like having a relationship on a billboard. I have absolutely no desire to catch up on a friend or relative's life and have everyone chime in with comments.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Well my mom is wondering why she never hears from my cousin and I didn't think people communicated with their Aunts like that. Now mother or father is different but when it comes to Aunts I just chat with them whenever I see them or on Facebook.
Is there some reason you can't pick up a phone and call them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
[/b]

You know, a lot of people like myself, and especially people from your parents generation, want a more intimate relationship and actually talk to people they love and care about. To them communicating through social media is like having a relationship on a billboard. I have absolutely no desire to catch up on a friend or relative's life and have everyone chime in with comments.
Very well said.

I guess the OP doesn't realize or care someday these people will be gone.

Again, OP it's not all about you and how you prefer to communicate. Personally if you can't pick up the phone or see people in person(exception if you live far apart), than why bother? The problem today is all people want to do is talk about themselves, they could care less about others.

Older people especially like phone calls.

As snowtired14 said, social media is mostly a billboard about them. A one way publicity page. Shouting "look at me", no one really cares where you had lunch.....LOL.

Very sad sign of the times.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
[/b]

Well in my case she can just call me. In my cousin's case she can suggest meeting for brunch since she is not a fan of chatting on the phone or texting.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Is there some reason you can't pick up a phone and call them?

Very well said.

I guess the OP doesn't realize or care someday these people will be gone.

Again, OP it's not all about you and how you prefer to communicate. Personally if you can't pick up the phone or see people in person(exception if you live far apart), than why bother? The problem today is all people want to do is talk about themselves, they could care less about others.

Older people especially like phone calls.

As snowtired14 said, social media is mostly a billboard about them. A one way publicity page. Shouting "look at me", no one really cares where you had lunch.....LOL.

Very sad sign of the times.

Yes I call on the weekends because during the week I don't get home until 7pm and once I eat my dinner and get settled it's like 10pm. Plus she likes to talk on the phone for a hour or more so it's best if I call on saturday.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Don't worry about your cousin. Worry about yourself and your relationships.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:22 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,669,950 times
Maybe I missed this, but who arranged for the birthday get-together - your cousin? How old is your cousin?

Also, who paid the bill or was the bill split? Personally I'm kind of surprised an adult birthday is celebrated at a restaurant with a bunch of aunts and cousins, but the young adults in my family generally celebrated with their friends or immediate family (parents, sibs). I guess some people are more into extended families.

If you want to go on a trip, go with friends if your mom and aunt don't want to go.

Most of the adults I know have never signed up for a certain social media page (yuck - who cares that much about details of other's lives) or have really dropped off usage as it seems so infantile. Either posts are bragging or way too personal.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Maybe I missed this, but who arranged for the birthday get-together - your cousin? How old is your cousin?

Also, who paid the bill or was the bill split? Personally I'm kind of surprised an adult birthday is celebrated at a restaurant with a bunch of aunts and cousins, but the young adults in my family generally celebrated with their friends or immediate family (parents, sibs). I guess some people are more into extended families.

If you want to go on a trip, go with friends if your mom and aunt don't want to go.

Most of the adults I know have never signed up for a certain social media page (yuck - who cares that much about details of other's lives) or have really dropped off usage as it seems so infantile. Either posts are bragging or way too personal.
It's something the family has been doing for about 10 years when it comes to birthdays.l My cousin turned 40 and it was arranged by her telling us where she wanted to go for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships