Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 02:20 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times

Advertisements

Wow; thats terrible, OP! And how strange that you had not seen this side of her before. Poor baby girl; caramel skin is beautiful ... all children are beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 02:21 PM

52,259 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
So why was the favoritism OK before you knew the reason why? Why didn't you ask the aunt what was going on?

This is going to be as big as you make. If you want an all out war within the extended family for years, tearing everyone apart, you can do that.

Or you can take a few deep breaths and ask yourself: What will benefit my daughters, my husband and myself? Do you want to cut off all contact with this woman you viewed as a second mom? If she was a true vindictive racist, you and your daughters would have never been allowed in her house. She would have cut you off the minute she met your husband. Think about it.

Love the sinner, not the sin. This is a teachable moment and you are in a position to show a tremendous life lesson to your daughters. Choose your actions and your words wisely.
Sort of an odd POV here.

I don't have kids but anyone that acts in ways to actively denigrate my kids would be gone. See, that's the "life lesson" you mentioned here. Don't put up with that kind of BS.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:27 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't have kids but anyone that acts in ways to actively denigrate my kids would be gone. See, that's the "life lesson" you mentioned here. Don't put up with that kind of BS.
^^^^ THIS! 1000x this!

Old 08-23-2016, 02:30 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Sort of an odd POV here.

The behavior was tolerated before the OP knew the reason. But now the favoritism is a problem? It doesn't make sense. The OP apparently didn't think the favoritism was a problem until she learned the reason.

And I tend to see the aunt's comment in the way the poster who made the fat/skinny comment does, that this is a beauty issue in the eyes of the aunt. Not saying it's right, not agreeing with the aunt's behavior ... but this can be dealt with in two ways. All-out family war or a sit down, honest, CALM discussion with the aunt to figure out where to go from here. This isn't an aunt from afar or somebody who yelled at them from the street... this is someone whom the OP loved as a mother figure.

Don't you think it is worth the effort to attempt to work it out and demonstrate TO HER DAUGHTERS how to deal with this specific issue of skin color? In a mature way? It is definitely a teachable moment for her. Her daughters are watching her every move right now. What does she want them to learn??? How about grownups do stupid things, admit they were wrong and apologize? How about this is how to calmly resolve an argument?

Old 08-23-2016, 02:33 PM

82 posts, read 63,010 times
Quote:
So why was the favoritism OK before you knew the reason why? Why didn't you ask the aunt what was going on?

This is going to be as big as you make. If you want an all out war within the extended family for years, tearing everyone apart, you can do that.

Or you can take a few deep breaths and ask yourself: What will benefit my daughters, my husband and myself? Do you want to cut off all contact with this woman you viewed as a second mom? If she was a true vindictive racist, you and your daughters would have never been allowed in her house. She would have cut you off the minute she met your husband. Think about it.

Love the sinner, not the sin. This is a teachable moment and you are in a position to show a tremendous life lesson to your daughters. Choose your actions and your words wisely.
I never knew the favoritism was going on until my daughters started crying after I picked them up. Until I found out what my aunt said. Prior to what my aunt said, both my daughters said they had noticed little things that displayed favoritism towards my eldest. But they didn't tell me about it until the day they started crying and told about what happened.

And it's all well and good saying "love the sinner, not the sin," but a lot of the times, it doesn't hold up in the real world. How will keeping my aunt away from my kids benefit them? Well, for starters, they won't be contemplating the notion that one of them is better than the other because of their differing skin colors. That skin tone somehow makes one superior or inferior. Even if she never said something like that again to my kids, I know they would be thinking about if they were alone with her. And they are far too young and innocent to be exposed to such damaging thoughts, whether they are directly spoken to them or whether they are contemplating. As I told another poster, colorism is a huge problem all over the world, particularly for females. And I just cannot run the risk of my kids being poisoned with it, even if it means breaking ties. I can't. I'm sorry.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:33 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Apparently putting up with BS, means tell every member of the extended family what a horrible person auntie is, start the tally of who is on who's side, draw the lines and destroy the family completely. Great idea. Happy life for everyone. And the girls will know that every time anyone is mean to them it's all about skin color. And they will harbor that anger for a lifetime.

I didn't say put up with BS> I said to see if it can be worked out. BIG difference.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
The behavior was tolerated before the OP knew the reason. But now the favoritism is a problem? It doesn't make sense. The OP apparently didn't think the favoritism was a problem until she learned the reason.

And I tend to see the aunt's comment in the way the poster who made the fat/skinny comment does, that this is a beauty issue in the eyes of the aunt. Not saying it's right, not agreeing with the aunt's behavior ... but this can be dealt with in two ways. All-out family war or a sit down, honest, CALM discussion with the aunt to figure out where to go from here. This isn't an aunt from afar or somebody who yelled at them from the street... this is someone whom the OP loved as a mother figure.

Don't you think it is worth the effort to attempt to work it out and demonstrate TO HER DAUGHTERS how to deal with this specific issue of skin color? In a mature way? It is definitely a teachable moment for her. Her daughters are watching her every move right now. What does she want them to learn??? How about grownups do stupid things, admit they were wrong and apologize? How about this is how to calmly resolve an argument?
Wow. Just wow. I would like for you to go through my initial post and prove your assertion that I knew favoritism was going on prior the situation blowing up. Please, go ahead. Show me where you got that assertion.

There is NO WAY IN HELL I would've let things just stand had I known about the favoritism prior being informed of the events.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:36 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Don't deprive your children of their other family members. Ignore the aunt.

It's not racism. People use that word way too much.

Unfortunately your daughter will probably hear this again in the future and it won't be from an old white woman.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:41 PM

52,259 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Apparently putting up with BS, means tell every member of the extended family what a horrible person auntie is, start the tally of who is on who's side, draw the lines and destroy the family completely. Great idea. Happy life for everyone. And the girls will know that every time anyone is mean to them it's all about skin color. And they will harbor that anger for a lifetime.

I didn't say put up with BS> I said to see if it can be worked out. BIG difference.
Complete nonsense and you're so far off base you can't even tell what team your on. LOL.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:

So it's okay when my 11 yr old asks her father, "Why aren't I as light as my sister?" It's ok for her to think there is something wrong with her simply because her sister has less melanin? Prior to what my aunt said, such a question would've never entered my daughter's head. She didn't look at herself, her sister or the world through people's skin tones. And how those colors (falsely) defined people. But now she is. And it kills me. You don't think that every time my 11 yr old is around my aunt (the culprit for these thoughts and questions) she won't be thinking about things like this? I don't think you have fully comprehended the damage colorism does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships