Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:36 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
My friend is in ICU and the hospital will not tell me anything because I am not a family member. I am not able to reach my friend probably because he can't talk and is not able to text or email. I have also not been able to reach any of his family since they don't live in the area and don't have any info anywhere online.

Should I just try to visit him in the hospital unannounced? He is probably in bad shape.

At least try....

Matthew 25:36

For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink, I was a stranger and you took Me in, I was naked and you clothed Me, I was sick and you looked after Me, I was in prison and you visited Me.’ Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink?…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 01:57 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Go to the ICU waiting room and tell family members who you are. Ask them to tell patient/friend that you were there. Ask if there is anything you can do....if you can do something. maybe call mutual friends? Go out for food for the family who is waiting?

Don't stay long.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:29 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times
All of these suggestions are good ones. The family will appreciate the support. You may want to see what you can do for the family of the person in the hospital.

I'm always encouraged when I see strangers on here offer great ideas to other strangers in an effort to help out that stranger... if the entire world were only that cooperative....

Old 08-24-2016, 03:37 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
I'd call the hospital and ask. I found you can't usually bring things for the person if they are in the icu.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:46 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
My son was badly burned in a fire and only family was allowed to visit. It made a huge difference to have coworkers come to the family room and bring me food until it was determined he would survive as I didn't dare leave the area.

Go see the family at least. Find out if they need anything and be as helpful as you can.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:13 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Following open heart surgery, I was in the cardiac ICU with numerous tubes in various body orifices. I was heavily medicated and although I was mostly aware of what was going on, much of it was treatment-related which was often embarrassing. I would not have been comfortable with casual visitors.

I would first call the hospital and find out a. if there are defined visiting hours and b. if your friend has family visiting. I'd then go and meet the family, give your name, ask about your friend's condition, offer to help with something they might need. Maybe take some homemade cookies or brownies for the family. Flowers/plants are generally not permitted in the ICU. If you do get in to see your friend, make it a v e r y short visit.

Follow that up with visits when your friend is back home and recovering. Unless you've been there, you'll never know how disappointing it is to have people rush to see you in extremis then leave you alone once you're home and wishing for a little conversation with a friendly face. I hope your friend is feeling better.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:53 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,757 times
Definitely visit & talk to the hospital to see if they were able to contact the family. They should have his cell phone so maybe one of the nurses can go through it to call family. I dont know much about privacy issues but you could ask the cops about it & maybe seek their assistance to locate his family.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:34 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Why would you NOT? Sometimes phone and text just don't work, right?! The family can push you out if they happen to be there but that seems unlikely if you present yourself as caring, dress at all neatly, etc. Call to find out the hours and then just go.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:16 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Following open heart surgery, I was in the cardiac ICU with numerous tubes in various body orifices. I was heavily medicated and although I was mostly aware of what was going on, much of it was treatment-related which was often embarrassing. I would not have been comfortable with casual visitors.

I would first call the hospital and find out a. if there are defined visiting hours and b. if your friend has family visiting. I'd then go and meet the family, give your name, ask about your friend's condition, offer to help with something they might need. Maybe take some homemade cookies or brownies for the family. Flowers/plants are generally not permitted in the ICU. If you do get in to see your friend, make it a v e r y short visit.

Follow that up with visits when your friend is back home and recovering. Unless you've been there, you'll never know how disappointing it is to have people rush to see you in extremis then leave you alone once you're home and wishing for a little conversation with a friendly face. I hope your friend is feeling better.
Good advice.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:18 AM

82 posts, read 63,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
My friend is in ICU and the hospital will not tell me anything because I am not a family member. I am not able to reach my friend probably because he can't talk and is not able to text or email. I have also not been able to reach any of his family since they don't live in the area and don't have any info anywhere online.

Should I just try to visit him in the hospital unannounced? He is probably in bad shape.
I think you should go and see him. I'm sure he would be happy to see you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships