Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 05:57 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times

Advertisements

Must be a lot of people interested because I can see no other reason non talented people can have so many variations of scripted reality TV as the Kardashian family has. If they had talent you can bet that everyone of them would have bought a star on the Walk of Fame. Since they have no talent they are not allowed to buy a star.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 10:42 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
One of my best friends called me yesterday in tears because she said her husband didn't pay the taxes on the house and the house was sold to an investor for the amount of the back taxes. Her husband is battling cancer and was diagnosed as bipolar who refuses to take his meds because he said he can't sleep. Actually, that's all he does is sleep.

He was wrongfully terminated from his job and he has a law suit that will takes years to settle. I think she was indirectly trying to ask me for money, now mind you, I've been telling her for two years to get a job. She has every excuse under the sun as to why she can't or won't work. I've already helped them out with money and in other ways. Now it's time for a dose of tough love. She just wants to be a baby and have everyone take care of her. That doesn't work in my universe.

Why do we talk about relationships? Maybe because we try to help those we love, but need a fresh perspective on how to do that?

I met a recovered alcoholic at a block party last night and what he told me about the alcoholic mind gave me a much clearer picture about the way that they think. I have to admit that I'm handicapped in dealing with that mentality and the insight was an eye opener. It helped me understand why my ex friend was so hostile to me and it was a comfort.

Human nature is complex, and so are relationships. Talking about them are a way of broadening your insight.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:42 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
Why do some people feel such a need to put in loads of time and energy into discussing other people's relationships and marriages? Not that it isn't an interesting subject but what's up with those who dedicate so much time to it? What do they gain from it?
With regard to one person I know who did this. She had been in a very troubled marriage, basically a bad marriage. Her husband filed for divorce within months after they got married; they went to a marriage counselor for years to try and stay together. And she wanted to gossip and find out if other people were going through the same thing, because it would make her feel better. Right after my wedding, she asked me repeatedly if me and my husband were fighting. I kept telling her 'no' and then she said she didn't believe that. She said that "all married people fight, you are lying to me".

Old 09-11-2016, 12:16 PM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
I think that people are interesting and I like to know their motivation and how they think. That helps me understand people better. I know that other peoples relationships are their own business but I like to peek inside and see how they make it work or not. Obviously a happy and functional family is not that interesting so I will pass on that.

If find people more interesting then relationships unless there is drama and that is like watching a soap opera on TV.

I try not to judge but I might tune in for this weeks episode.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:53 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
He was wrongfully terminated from his job and he has a law suit that will takes years to settle. I think she was indirectly trying to ask me for money, now mind you, I've been telling her for two years to get a job. She has every excuse under the sun as to why she can't or won't work. I've already helped them out with money and in other ways. Now it's time for a dose of tough love. She just wants to be a baby and have everyone take care of her. That doesn't work in my universe. .
I know someone who is the same way; she has never worked, has no kids, and her husband has always supported her. When he became unemployed, she still wouldn't go to work. She would throw out hints that she needed money. I wouldn't give it to her. I did give her some job leads though. She said she didn't want to do any of these types of jobs. She just wants people to take care of her, and no, that doesn't work in my universe either.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:14 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,376 times
People like to gossip. Some like it much more than others. Like a relative of mine just yesterday that brought up a cousin of mine that is pretty much almost a stranger to me. I'm seen him 3 times in my entire life and it has been years since I've seen him at all. It was brought up so she could talk trash about his wife who she and I have never met. Repeating and likely twisting stuff she heard somewhere. It was just good juicy gossip.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:20 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Why do people start pointless threads like this? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:21 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
Why do some people feel such a need to put in loads of time and energy into discussing other people's relationships and marriages? Not that it isn't an interesting subject but what's up with those who dedicate so much time to it? What do they gain from it?
A few quick answers:
1- As a kid, , we're sold that everyone is supposed to get married and it is put out there like some kind of paradise. But the more you talk to people, it gets incredibly interesting to hear just how incredibly difficult it is. And then you start to realize that many people are putting out an illusion to whats really going on in their home.

2-People blast their whole life on social media to almost become that local celebrity that they always dreamed of being. And in general, for whatever reason, Americans like to talk about the relationships of celebrities. So if you're putting you own relationship on full blast all the time, expect people to talk.

3- People like to see car crashes, explosions, ect...... Plenty of those fireworks if you watch certain relationships close enough

Old 09-11-2016, 01:24 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why do people start pointless threads like this? Inquiring minds want to know.
A lot of times looking down on gossip or talking about relationships as frivolous is a thinly veiled dig at women, since this kind of thing is considered "women stuff". As if all the dudes talking about their fantasy football leagues today are doing important and serious work.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:06 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
It's because their own lives suck.
LOL...most probably this, or because they do not have much of a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships