Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 08:53 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,689,710 times

Advertisements

Someone I knew in high school died in the spring of this year. I found his obituary online and was saddened to see that only 2 people left condolences on it. So I left a condolence for him. It took all of five seconds to do this. A lot of people must see these obituaries, and this person died young enough to where there are still many people around who remember him. And I know for a fact everyone he went to high school remembers him because he was always teased very badly by everyone and everyone laughed at him. He had a degenerative illness that caused him to stutter.

I've also seen a few other obits where very few people left condolences. I just wonder why more people don't do this.

And no, this is NOT a social media post. Online obituaries are not considered social media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 09:02 AM

29,651 posts, read 34,150,999 times
Because leaving a note in an online obituary is practically meaningless to a grieving family (do they even see it?) I'm sure many people sent cards, flowers, went to the service, or reached out in other ways which are more of a condolence to his loved ones.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-11-2016 at 09:10 AM..

Old 09-11-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Because leaving a note in an online obituary is practically meaningless to a grieving family. I'm sure many people sent cards, flowers, went to the service, or reached out in other ways which are more of a condolence to his loved ones.
It wasn't meaningless to me. And I did see the condolences left on my mother's obit when she died. Do you really think family wouldn't see that?

Also, I think it's great that people are offered a way to leave a condolence if they don't know about the funeral, didn't make it to the funeral or, in some cases, can't afford to send a $100 bouquet of flowers.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:13 AM

704 posts, read 569,829 times
When my folks died, the online obits are the last place I looked. Send a card, it's more personal, IMO.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:13 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,126,072 times
If I only knew them from high school, I'd feel weird to leave a comment. I know when my grandmother passed away a few years ago, we had no idea who left her most of the flowers and cards. It was weird because we had no way to thank these people.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
If I only knew them from high school, I'd feel weird to leave a comment.
Well, perhaps you didn't have meaningful relationships with anyone in high school, but some people do. So they don't think it's weird to leave a comment.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:24 AM

15,242 posts, read 12,843,002 times
I lost a close family member a few days ago. The family discussed this topic.

We decided not to create an online obituary or memorial page. We also decided not to publish one in the newspaper, due to the expense.

There won't be a funeral. She didn't want one.

So, do I understand correctly that you're complaining because "more people" didn't leave online condolences? Does that mean I'm abrogating some sort of social duty by not checking the online obits constantly for the names of the thousands of people I've known over my lifetime?

I really don't get your point. At all.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I lost a close family member a few days ago. The family discussed this topic.

We decided not to create an online obituary or memorial page. We also decided not to publish one in the newspaper, due to the expense.

There won't be a funeral. She didn't want one.
Is it really THAT expensive to publish an obit in the newspaper? We published obits for everyone in our family who passed away. We also held funerals. My mom's funeral and burial was $30,000. But the obit was nothing in terms of money. Like, fifty bucks at the most, I think. A pretty negligible amount of money!

Old 09-11-2016, 11:33 AM

15,242 posts, read 12,843,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Is it really THAT expensive to publish an obit in the newspaper? We published obits for everyone in our family who passed away. We also held funerals. My mom's funeral and burial was $30,000. But the obit was nothing in terms of money. Like, fifty bucks at the most, I think.
$500 for about ten sentences. She did not want an obituary as she had been a victim of identity theft that took years to clear up.

My MIL did not believe in spending money on funerals. My FIL's ashes were scattered in a secret, remote place that meant a lot to both of them. Hers will be, too. We will be there.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:39 AM

Why would someone need to worry about identity theft after they passed away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships