Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 12:15 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
A friend I have he just wont let me get more then a word or 2 then he talks. He tells stories with so much detail I go out of my mind. I find my self ending his stories with yes you told me about that before yes I heard that already. I can't even call him unless I know I have 2 hours to burn because he won't let you hang up He just keeps talking. I notice when I tell him a story like he does with to much detail he gets irritated I can tell. He's a great guy we have known one another for 35 years. My wife has a co-worker who is the same way we are going to invite them to the house and see if the 2 of them will talk one another ear off as an experiment I think they will repel one another and nothing will happen.
I have a neighbor like that. While I can be chatty, he is downright rude as he cuts you off and won't allow another word in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 12:19 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
I know lots of people like that...I'm like, can they really and truly be so clueless? *sigh*

Old 09-12-2016, 03:15 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
My sister in law is a detailed person when she speaks. Her Military background required it.Precise, succinct in accordance with the topic.
My Brother (her husband), is very "one word" kinda guy.
My brother one day took me to the side and said Sis, When talking to SIL, just gently say..."Readers Digest Version" please!
It made the talks much easier to listen to and comment if asked. Twenty some years later and my sil still (if given the chance) will rattle along. I interject Readers Digest please! She starts to laugh ...realizing her quirk.
Will say I have got to learn to not interrupt a person....interjecting questions for clarifying....

Old 09-12-2016, 05:59 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Sometimes people who've suffered a great loss will talk about it endlessly - it's a way of processing it. I try to be compassionate about such situations.

But there are others to whom everything has to be verbally hashed out at great length, and who seem unable to edit. I have a friend like that (we all seem to have friends like that!) who can go on and on and on - cell phone battery dies? No problem, she'll call back on the house phone. When I try to conclude, she will then say, "Well, I just wanted to let you know about..." and then rehash the conversation. Saying "You DID let me know" has no effect. Offering suggestions for her various problems always results in reasons why that just won't work.

I do not talk with her on the phone or see her as much as was once the case. I feel bad about that, as she was a very good friend, has a very kind and giving heart - but this huge blind spot overwhelms her virtues, as she is the same way in person - once on a car trip, she talked for 200 miles straight (I was driving and she had never been to that area previously, but seemed oblivious to her new surroundings- just went on and on about her own problems). I've never asked her to go on a trip since that bad experience.

I am sorry that the friendship has become more distant - but the weight of it really dragged me down, left me frustrated and feeling very negative towards her, and then feeling guilty for that negativity. Didn't need any of that...so sadly, the distance has grown.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:16 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I have a friend lke that. Thankfully, we moved out of state, so I dont have to spend much time with her. She will typically ask a succesion of questions, but will not bother to listen to my response.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:31 PM

534 posts, read 1,533,298 times
I had a friend like that. Brilliant mind. Wouldn't shut up and wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise.

One time she called and talked for about 2 hours straight. I crawled into bed with a book and let her keep going. I fell asleep. LOL.

On facebook, she's the same way. I finally restricted her to "public" so it limits what she sees that I post, so she doesn't comment on everything, yet I didn't have to unfriend her.

Thankfully, she got politically active in her area (I moved away fifteen years ago) and now has a circle of friends that keeps her busy.

Life is too short to listen to someone blowing hot air, that loves to (even subconsciously, like my friend) hear themselves talk. It's also so disrespectful to myself and anyone else she does it to.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:42 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,337,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornShelbyGirl View Post
Actually I have been with a guy that does just that and it drives me crazy because he never knows when to shut up and my friends will say thank you when I tell him uh they have to go and most have stopped coming around since he talks your head off and talks in circles by jumping from one subject to the next... It is so irritating how people are disrespectful now-a-days!!! I have tried so hard to let him know that I cannot and will not lose anymore friends because of his inability to keep his mouth shut but to no avail he still talks until people good-bye!!!!
You poor thing! If he isn't willing to try to shut up, try to change for you, ditch him. This problem won't go away. Sorry!

Old 09-12-2016, 10:47 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,337,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
He's a narcissist. How is he a great guy?

You're no kid, if you have known him 35 years. Do you not get it's "all about him", he doesn't give a crap about you or your life.

We should get to a point in life, where you know this and know to avoid people like this. Knowing someone a long time doesn't mean to you have to put up with bad behavior.

Marriages end after 35 years.

Instead of inviting these two over, put some distance between yourself and this guy. Why waste your time and energy on people like this?
Well said! I hope she listens.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:07 AM

36 posts, read 39,557 times
lol. I wish I had the gift of the gab., I'm so quiet. People make fun of me for it.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:21 AM

578 posts, read 458,589 times
For some reason this thread offends me,i guess because i talk too much and people be telling me what they op said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships