Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 03:12 AM

870 posts, read 1,569,448 times

Advertisements

I was born in 1981. (35 years old)

OLD: ~ Looking at those "what they look like now" 80's and 90's stars web pages.

~ Browsing through old shows and music videos from the 80's and 90's on You Tube and realizing how dated they look now.

~ YouTube. It wasn't around until the mid-2000's, but I am able to find things from my youth and makes me feel old.

~ Going back to my hometown and walking down the streets I lived during my youth. It's different now. Neighbors have moved away, people have died, it looks rundown. Not only do I feel old, but it's depressing too. Also going to the mall and remembering the old stores that aren't there anymore. Looking at all of the teenagers with their cell phones glued to their ears.

~ Visiting the college I attended. I am too old blend in with the students. Looking at all of the changes made to the campus and the surrounding area. Realizing that some of my old hangouts are long gone and most of my friends are scattered all over the US.

YOUNG: ~ I've been told I look younger for my age. Taking care of myself by exercising regularly and watching my food intake.

~ Being able to run up the stairs at work instead of taking the elevator with no problem.

~ Knowing that I am still not old enough to qualify for senior discounts, but I know time seems to move faster now that I'm older and it will come soon enough.

~ I keep a close network of friends and we hangout and do silly things sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 04:00 AM

99,561 posts, read 4,491,552 times
OLD:
Memories of growing up in the hot humid South with no air-conditioning in the home or in any of our cars. Also, having to dial the operator to make any kind of long-distance telephone call.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:16 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Things that make you feel old/young

I was born in spring of 1938. Not hung up on the young/old thing in the way that seems pervasive on C-D. The negative obsession in the forums with "old" is both bizarre and fascinating to me. I'm not sure that I have ever felt nostalgia as I hear people describe it, and maybe that lack in my sentiments is a partial explanation.

I am going on seventy-nine, so my level of energy and various physical problems are a constant reminder of the passage of time. I enjoy having become my age, so it is really a matter of whether I feel a pleasant-79 or I feel an unpleasant-79 at any given point. My activities are like the playlists I make up for my iPod - combinations music from all different eras that I have lived through, plus from all the places that have interested me laced with just plain weird bits of this and that. But when I flick on a playlist it is simply the experience of right then and there, and not a reflection of other times, other places. In a similar way, everything I do is "almost-79" because that's where it is happening.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:02 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Old - I went to junior high for 7th, 8th, and 9th grade. No middle schools existed then.

Old - Remember when swimming pools were whites only and I lived in the North.

Old - I remember when all of the old people were born in the 1800's.

Old - Remembering WW2 vets in their 30's.

Old - When I went to college it was quarters not semesters. $265 for tuition, general fee, and parking pass.

Old - my Dad was in the army before WW2. In pictures he looked like a doughboy.

Old- I know what a doughboy was.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:13 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Makes me feel old:
John Stamos keeps doing these "hot, for an old guy" roles (last year in "Grandfathered," this year in "Scream Queens".

That used to be how we saw people like Sean Connery or Harrison Ford (hot, for an old guy) not John Stamos, who I still envision on the cover of Tiger Beat.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:00 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
old:
*Realizing that most of my formative years happened before most of my coworker's births
*Seeing that the gray in my hair is way more than a strand or two
*Listening to some of the extracurricular activities my coworkers engage in and thinking "I'm too tired for that"
*Knowing that my oldest child is headed to college in another few years
*It's easier to injure my back with one wrong move
*Seeing that many of the "older men" I thought were so hot now look positively geriatric and seeing that the new "hot" guys are a decade or two younger than me
*Calling digital recordings "videos" and still feeling like "hook up" means to connect with (not intimately)

young:
*When people older than me think I'm still a "baby"
*Knowing that I have decades before retirement
*Being able to run for a bus, run up the stairs, and basically move around with relative ease

Old 10-04-2016, 04:05 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
Being out of high school for so long makes me feel old lol.
-WT

Old 02-08-2017, 11:18 AM

26 posts, read 21,798 times
My grey hair makes me feel old

Old 02-08-2017, 11:30 AM

953 posts, read 842,941 times
Young: Listening to my favorite music ... Beatles will always top the list followed by Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Chuck Berry and many others.

Old: Dealing with the pain from degenerative arthritis ... and the sheer "joy" of looking in the mirror. It is what it is.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:54 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
Old: Graduated high school in 1965
Seems like most people could be my children or grandchildren

Young: Our 90 yr old neighbor calls us "kids" (we are 70)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships