Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 12:27 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,261,881 times

Advertisements

Everyone has their own idea of what is "attractive", I personally don't find most of the Hollywood celebrity types to be overly attractive, but that's my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 12:35 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
being an attractive woman, I'm guessing has advantages and disadvantages....

we all know what the advantages are, but I didn't see that anyone touched base on the following, and please forgive me, if someone did and I missed it but...

people lie to attractive women, simply to get next to them....to score, etc....
that is very difficult regarding trust....

some women are extremely threatened by attractive women and won't include them in their groups....
nice men are intimidated to approach you, but it seems the obnoxious & players don't mind in the least, which leaves scars...

after a while its easy for an attractive woman to lose faith in herself, and distrust...because so many have taken advantage of her and have not be kind to her heart.

because a woman is attractive it's hard to know, if the person she is dating really wants to get to know her soul. And when she does try to share who she is, it seems no one really cares to listen to her wants and desires...so she might be tempted to simply accept, telling herself that this one really does love her....

Old 09-22-2016, 12:39 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I agree, being beautiful has perks, heck being associated with beautiful people has perks. I've been told I'm handsome (by people other than my mom), but the perks are more obvious if you're a beautiful woman, or dating one. .
What I've found is that a man has a beautiful wife or girlfriend, people assume he must be successful in his career to get this "trophy" woman.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
some women are extremely threatened by attractive women and won't include them in their groups....
nice men are intimidated to approach you, but it seems the obnoxious & players don't mind in the least, which leaves scars.......
I think there is some truth here. One famous actress (can't remember her name now) said that "beautiful women attract the worst kind of men".

Old 09-22-2016, 12:49 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
It's not easy being good-looking and well-built. There will be all kinds of unwanted attention and people trying to hit on you. It's not very different if you're a man or a woman. In fact, a man of that type may have more guys making advances on him, than there will be women. In recent years, this has gotten worse. Good-looking men know exactly what women have to endure, from the relentless and repugnant efforts by some men to impose themselves on them.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:49 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Funny: had dinner the other night with my best friend, his new girlfriend, and various young friends of the family. We're late 40s, the grownups that is. The young people, equal number at this party, were each about 20. I found it interesting to compare/contrast how we all behaved.

Friend's son's girlfriend arrived, she's 20 I believe. Knockout, stop-a-clock hot with a pleasant personality and going off to school at Cal Poly. I remarked to my friend later, "your son should marry that girl or get on the road to it within a year or two, she'll slip away much to his immense loss" Not that I would have been as smart to do-so at his age (also 20), nor was I mature enough at the time to marry my equally smoking-hot 19 y.o. girlfriend (met when I was 21, actually). I had things to do and see at that age that did not involve wives or settling down, but if one feels otherwise...there are true diamonds in the rough out there, and when they come along, covet them.

If youth only knew, if age only could.

That young lady will go far, she seemed sweet and not snotty and did not in any way act like a young woman who could bend dozens, hundreds, of men to her will with a smile. Interesting. Not quite "innocent" but definitely "un-jaded," almost like nobility.

I've always been presentable, if not devastatingly handsome, for a man. When I forget that, life goes poorly as life gives me nothing I'm not confident enough to go after on my own. When I remember, and not act like a jerk, I (have, can, and will) find agreeable company and dates. As in: every. single. time. Conversely, should I start thinking myself a man of devastating competence, means, and looks, women shy away from that arrogant ___t like it's the plague and I'm alone again.

Do the math on that.

Yes, attractive people can be extra-charming and I've surely succumbed to more than a few pretty faces...several with truly twisted hearts, however, coincidentally or not. And to one or two pretty faces with hearts of gold, rare as that is. One such woman said to me, "being cute is not the be-all/end-all for smoothing the gears of life!" ...at me, in exasperation. I was in my early 20s at the time, it was a great learning experience, as was her dumping me a few months later.

For men, it does seem to project more power and confidence to other men. My best friend, mentioned above, seems to be something of a looker for women (I'm a straight guy, it's hard for me to "see" per se but that's what they tell me). He plays it well without being a jerk, and it's helped him lubricate rough edges on any number of social situations.

Yep.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:56 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
I'm a pretty average guy in the looks department, but that has led me to develop my personality and sense of humor which, in turn, apparently make me "attractive". Over my lifetime, I have secretly been stunned by the number of beautiful women I have been with.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:20 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I really think it depends on who is looking.

Myself, I find a person's personality is what makes that person attractive. A super good looking guy can turn into a very ugly person, if their personality is shallow and think that the world owes them something.

As an ugly duckling growing up, and being teased unmercifully as a child/teen, I tend to look beyond the physical to find what is inside the person.

Granted, on first impressions and in the job market.... Yes, I would say attractiveness helps. Only at first. If the person cannot do the job or is incompetent then that attractiveness will not help them keep the job or even get the job.

It may open the door, it doesn't guarantee that the door stays open.
Correct, and same applies in the dating world

Old 09-22-2016, 01:24 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Well, although I'm veering away from the original topic... I've also noticed that both men AND women have an easier time dating if they have money or a good job. Men usually insist that only women look at money, but men do it too. The first question I was always asked by men was "what do you do for a living".
So correct - especially in our times!

Old 09-22-2016, 01:29 PM

In my high school class there was a super attractive girl that was popular mainly because of her goddess looks. She had tons of friends and got her way about everything. People would say "oh, she's so nice" as being the reason they liked her. But she was just nice in an ordinary way. She wasn't any nicer than the average person. So it's like they needed to have an excuse for worshipping her the way they did, and they didn't want to admit it was because of her looks and beautiful clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships