Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 08:12 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if this is tightwad behavior or not?

We dined out with a group of couples at a restaurant. My spouse & I asked for a separate check. We paid separately for our order, and tipped separately. Everyone else did the same - all separate checks.

The next morning, 9 a.m. one of the men we'd dined with called my husband and said there was a drink that appeared on his bill that was something I had ordered, a virgin pina colada. He wanted us to reimburse him the amount. However, we checked our receipt and it showed that we had paid for this drink I ordered. So the drink was a mistake that the waiter had duplicated and put on their bill. They insisted we pay them back, though and the wife sent me emails telling me to mail them a check for $4.75. We told them to take it up with the restaurant. My husband had to send them a copy of our receipt showing we paid for our drink. I think these people are weirdo tightwads not just based on this, but other nickel and dime issues from the past. All that over four dollars and seventy-five cents? I wouldn't freak over that small amount of money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 08:16 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
There is no way in hell that I'd make any kind of fuss over a drink being charged to me by accident. That is just ignorant IMO.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:16 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
But you are freaking out over it, otherwise you wouldn't have posted about it.

Me? I would have paid up once it was apparent they were going to press the issue (which I also think is trivial). Not because they were right, but, to keep the peace. As you said, it's a small amount of money.

Last edited by Mattie; 10-02-2016 at 09:18 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 08:20 PM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Are these people that you see regularly? Maybe just offer to buy them a drink the next time you all go out. I can't imagine making such a fuss over $5.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:44 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,336,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I am wondering if this is tightwad behavior or not?

We dined out with a group of couples at a restaurant. My spouse & I asked for a separate check. We paid separately for our order, and tipped separately. Everyone else did the same - all separate checks.

The next morning, 9 a.m. one of the men we'd dined with called my husband and said there was a drink that appeared on his bill that was something I had ordered, a virgin pina colada. He wanted us to reimburse him the amount. However, we checked our receipt and it showed that we had paid for this drink I ordered. So the drink was a mistake that the waiter had duplicated and put on their bill. They insisted we pay them back, though and the wife sent me emails telling me to mail them a check for $4.75. We told them to take it up with the restaurant. My husband had to send them a copy of our receipt showing we paid for our drink. I think these people are weirdo tightwads not just based on this, but other nickel and dime issues from the past. All that over four dollars and seventy-five cents? I wouldn't freak over that small amount of money
Ridiculous, I am totally on your side!
What kind of friends are those?
If, they have to take it up with the restaurant.
Soo petty, I would dump them!

Old 10-02-2016, 09:16 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Maybe he was mad you asked for separate checks. Lots of cheapskakes like to order more than everyone else and then split the check equally. And yes, calling you about the drink was cheap.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:20 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Wow, that's crazy. You would have just given them the $5 and never go out with them again.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:36 PM

277 posts, read 327,388 times
I'd put an end to this relationship or friendship or whatever you call it.

These are some wildly ignorant, cheap people.

Why it was brought up at all is very strange. It's $5.00, not $50.00.

However, as its that big of a deal to them, once they found out you had paid for the drink they should have dropped it or taken it up with the restaurant management or owners.

Said management or owners would have had a terrific laugh at how stupid these people are by the way.

Avoid these people...more than likely they'll try to stick $5.00 of their check onto your bill next time you go out to eat. Count on it!

I do despise cheap people. Not frugal - cheap.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I think these people are weirdo tightwads...
They are. And very rude and insensitive, too. I'd tell them to shove it, and try to avoid having anything to do with them again. Who needs friends like that?

Old 10-02-2016, 09:44 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
I wouldn't call that being a "Tightwad" behavior. Probably a$$hat behavior. He should have noticed it before signing the receipt, but he didn't. When you showed the receipts showing the drinks paid for, he should have just dropped it with you. I don't think there's much he can do now because even the restaurant is going to think he's trying to stiff them and ask why he didn't notice it. But he can try always talk to them. Though, the odds are he already did that and got rebuffed. I don't know what other stunt this couple pulled, but perhaps start phasing them out? Not worth the headache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships