Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 11:30 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
You're the second person to ask me this today.

I think this is the issue...and I hate to admit this...there aren't many things I can think of that are goals of mine. I will have to reflect on this and why it is this way...
That's definitely a thing with a milestone birthday like 40: that kind of reassessment of your life. I'm feeling it too--am I where I should be? Am I happy with where I am?

If you'd asked me at 20, I'd probably have said that at 40 I'd be married with kids. I'm not, and that's not really the life I want in the first place, but it's hard not to compare your choices with those of others and ponder if you could have made different ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 11:31 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
This exactly. Also at 50 lol. It won't be much of a surprise at 60
My 60th birthday party was the best yet.
A signature cocktail, and a friend surprised us all with an acoustic guitar set!

Old 10-07-2016, 11:33 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,745,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's definitely a thing with a milestone birthday like 40: that kind of reassessment of your life. I'm feeling it too--am I where I should be? Am I happy with where I am?

If you'd asked me at 20, I'd probably have said that at 40 I'd be married with kids. I'm not, and that's not really the life I want in the first place, but it's hard not to compare your choices with those of others and ponder if you could have made different ones.
This. This is part of what I feel.

Besides a better job I dont feel like life today is that much "better" than life at say, 15 years ago. But I look around and I do see friends who have made certain strides that have definitely made life better for them in various ways.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:36 AM

854 posts, read 520,601 times
I'll let you know in 2024

Old 10-07-2016, 11:38 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I am turning 40 in 6 weeks. I'll probably stay home with a bottle of wine, answering birthday emails and baking cakes/cookies/pies for my coworkers. No biggie to me and no anxiety.

Maybe because I celebrate my 31st bday every year for a while now

Old 10-07-2016, 11:42 AM

As far as goals/what I want out of life...sometimes I have a better idea of what I 'don't' want...not sure if that makes sense. I know I don't want to be overweight so the goal coming out of that would be 'to be at a healthy weight'. I know I don't want to be around negative people so the goal coming out of that would be to 'surround myself with more positive people'. And so on and so forth.

Speaking of negative people since this is the non-romantic section, I do recall when I turned 30 and had a small gathering...like 15 people at a friend's house. I didn't really want or care to do anything big or grand or whatever. I have a cousin that's like a sister to me that attended.

8 months later the cousin turns 30 and she throws a big party...with like 60 people showing up (most from out of town). Her mom (my aunt) is...well...I don't know how to describe her but I'll just say she 'loudly stated' during the party how great it was and that 'maybe one day *southkakkatlantan* could throw a 30th birthday party this nice' [with a smirk as if to say too bad you don't have friends like this]...now this is the type of thing I don't want to be around...now, on my 40th birthday, on any other milestone day, or a regular day at that.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:42 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
My goodness! Do people actually remember what they did on their 40th birthdays?
I couldn't tell you what I did on any of mine.

Anniversaries (marriage) are different. Those I remember. (Insert lovey-dovey heart here.)

Shalom,

Mahrie.
I do. My now-ex-husband decided we should have a big backyard barbecue for my 40th. He made it clear that it really wasn't to celebrate my birthday, but that it was just the excuse to have a big party and invite all his bar friends.

I remember standing in front of the bathroom mirror, slightly tipsy, and thinking, "I'm 40. Life is short. This marriage is not going to get better, EVER. I am done."

It took about another year for him to be gone.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:44 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
My goodness! Do people actually remember what they did on their 40th birthdays?
I couldn't tell you what I did on any of mine.

Anniversaries (marriage) are different. Those I remember. (Insert lovey-dovey heart here.)

Shalom,

Mahrie.
Neither can I recall since it was over 30 years ago.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am turning 40 in 6 weeks. I'll probably stay home with a bottle of wine, answering birthday emails and baking cakes/cookies/pies for my coworkers. No biggie to me and no anxiety.

Maybe because I celebrate my 31st bday every year for a while now

Hhhmmm. Maybe that's what I should do

Old 10-07-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I do. My now-ex-husband decided we should have a big backyard barbecue for my 40th. He made it clear that it really wasn't to celebrate my birthday, but that it was just the excuse to have a big party and invite all his bar friends.

I remember standing in front of the bathroom mirror, slightly tipsy, and thinking, "I'm 40. Life is short. This marriage is not going to get better, EVER. I am done."

It took about another year for him to be gone.
Um...hmmm. Well now hopefully you are in a MUCH better place, so you can be glad that you had those thoughts on that day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships