Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:07 AM

258 posts, read 233,425 times

Advertisements

Actually, the 2 may have been for 2nd degree. His ruling is listed as a 'serious felony' which is the worst kind. I am planning to go to the court tomorrow so I can read the file.... this is definitely worse than she made it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 11:28 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,522,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny74 View Post
Actually, the 2 may have been for 2nd degree. His ruling is listed as a 'serious felony' which is the worst kind. I am planning to go to the court tomorrow so I can read the file.... this is definitely worse than she made it out to be.

Are you connected to the legal system in any way? I didn't think that the courts would allow 'interested parties' to view court records unless they have a compelling legal interest.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:47 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,673,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Are you connected to the legal system in any way? I didn't think that the courts would allow 'interested parties' to view court records unless they have a compelling legal interest.
OP would probably only be able to read or view what is public access, posted online. A second option would be just to google search the offenders name and state, and see what a search reveals.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:19 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,736,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Unless something has been given confidential treatment by the court, all filed documents are a matter of public record.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:25 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,468,522 times
Google will have all the answers most likely. Search name + location + molest etc...

Old 10-12-2016, 04:32 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,624,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
When embellishing .. 25 years probation ? In what alternate universe? I don't buy it .

Since you are giving just enough to create the illusion he is more active in this behavior.. Perhaps you can run his rap sheet and present it to your friend. online feedback isn't going to get to the root of the truth.

Still reeling that 25 years probation comment. Someone fed you a big heep of bull if you think that is true.
That part sounds legit. It probably means that he is on a sex offender registry for 25 years, and will be supervised by a probation officer for the duration.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:27 AM

619 posts, read 572,001 times
Quote:
I just found out that my friends SO was a child molester, supposedly reformed. My friend knew this when she met him and chose to continue with the relationship. I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, I find this creepy and wrong. On the other, I feel I should be supportive to my friend. The thing that gets me the most is that when she told me what he had done, she used phrases like 'all he did was...' and 'it went no further than that....' as if she were downplaying it. In a way I think that mindset makes you a part of it. And just last week he failed his lie detector test (he is on 25 year probation) and consequently admitted he was alone with a young child out of sight. My friend knew about it but allowed it. Now, supposedly nothing happened, they were just walking around the farm looking at animals.

What would you do about your friendship in this situation? End it or continue it? Do child molesters deserve forgiveness and the right to have intimate relationships or should they be shunned?
You feel like you should be supportive of someone who is helping a child molester? First thing I would do is notify the authorities that he was alone with a young child. Then I would walk far far away from them. Them. It's not about him being an offender anymore, it's about her helping and covering up for him. In my eyes she us just as guilty.

Do child molesters deserve to live in normative society? That depends on what he/she did, and
If they changed their behavior. A one time honest mistake/misunderstanding is one thing. But this guy just repeated his behavior! So, no.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:07 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,018,706 times
Quote:
Well, I literally just called her and had the 'talk'. I do feel relieved to have listened to my inner voice (and the majority of posters here.)

I told her, among other things, I cannot support someone who supports a child molester. I mentioned the way she downplayed it and how that is exactly what child molesters look for in a person, how I don't think they ever 'reform', and she should not have allowed him to be alone with a child, especially since she had agreed to 'watch over him and make sure he was not alone with children in social gatherings' (which is what she had told me). - I don't know exactly who she agreed this with, if it was his counselor or probation officer, it was kind of murky.

Anyway, it's over.
Do you mean their relationship is over? Or your relationship with her is over?

Old 10-17-2016, 11:11 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
That guy is crap.

And your friend is bigger crap for supporting him.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:56 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,147,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
OP-check your state sex offender registry. It should have his name etc....all the important legal details of his crime and subsequent registration. I just checked the state registry of an offender in my family. His states- "Lifetime".

FWIW; I have NO contact with him. I just know to keep informed of his status and whereabouts.
The law for reporting as a sex offender changed several years ago.....Now they all report for life.
OP....I wouldn't go snooping at the court house. Public records should be enough. Also, if you know the child this man was alone with, you should contact the probation and parole Dept and disclose what you know, that's the right thing to do.

Last edited by JanND; 10-18-2016 at 03:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships