Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 06:20 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I was hanging out with my friends, and there was a new girl in the group who was friends with someone else in my group. I'm always pretty chill, just making jokes and making people laugh like always, ?
How in one sentence you say "I'M always pretty chill", and then in the very next sentence you say "making jokes and making people laugh like always"?

Someone who has a cool, mellowed out chill demeanor can not be the group clown at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 06:45 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,865 times
Quote:
I was hanging out with my friends, and there was a new girl in the group who was friends with someone else in my group. I'm always pretty chill, just making jokes and making people laugh like always, but then this chick said something like "haha he's like a clown" and my jaw dropped. Like wtf, I know you for five ****ing minutes and you say this sort of **** about me. I just brushed it off and then said something I don't remember and then she was like "see, you're like a clown, you're like a baby" and then at that point I felt legit offended. I actually felt humiliated. If another guy told me this it would definitely deserve a punch or two

I'm sorry but you just cant call people out like that. Especially since telling a guy he's a clown, I feel like that's one of the worst things you can tell to a guy. In the middle of a group no less. What can I do about this? Loudly mention the mustache on her lip next time? Comment on her acne? Just forget it and move on? Change my sense of humor?
Man you need to go Joe Pesci in Goodfellas on her. "So I amuse you .... ". Then laugh it off.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:27 PM

724 posts, read 593,306 times
Dude, If someone is seriously being a Moderator cut: DELETE it's almost your duty to call them out on it. I mean, you could have said:

"Well, you keep calling me a clown yet your terrible hairstyle/face/cloths are the joke, so I don't really understand."

Nothing takes the wind out of a vain persons sails like criticism of their appearance. It's an old, time tested method and while it may seem a bit childish...it works.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-22-2016 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: LANGUAGE

Old 10-20-2016, 06:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
We can't know her tone of voice, so it is hard to know what she meant. Did the others tend to chime in and agree with her?

I do think if you don't know her well, her comment is probably out of line. I think you should hang with your friends as normal, be yourself but don't have much to do with this person. She sounds like she has hostility which she directed at you.

But don't let her deter you from hanging with your friends.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:35 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
You always make people laugh. This is what clowns do also.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:52 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I've never heard "clown" used as a complement. A clown is a goofy character that entertains kids with corny jokes and antics. If you think someone is funny you call them a "comedian". Shoulda just stared at her and pointed your finger at her like a gun.
Exactly what I was going to write re being called a "clown." I have never heard it used as a compliment, its use runs the unpleasant gamut from "someone not to be taken seriously" to "a complete fool."

Old 10-21-2016, 12:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Go hide in the woods and wave at children walking by.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:27 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
No I'm in Chile. If anything that makes it worse because I feel like "payaso" is a bit stronger than clown....
My guess is that you are right.

I just used one online Spanish to English dictionary to check the word, and the first choice was "buffoon" and then "clown." That does not sound like a word I would have chosen to give you the clear-cut message that you were funny.

I am an American living in Portugal. In Portuguese the comparable word is "palhaço," and being described as that, much less called that, is very negative....buffoon, fool, chump. I knew a very responsible guy who felt he was being treated very casually or worse during the process for getting a mortgage, and at one point in response to yet another interview exploded, "Não sou palhaço!" at the bank officer. It was a major stop-traffic remark, and the bank officer apologized profusely for the perceived insult. (The fellow did get the mortage.)

Old 10-22-2016, 12:38 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I would've laughed/jokingly said "it takes one to know one."

Old 10-22-2016, 01:23 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
Maybe she saw you as trying too hard. I dated a nice man much older than you are who would have described himself much as you have described yourself. After awhile, his need to be clever and always find the joke got tiresome. If you're going to joke – which tends to be an attention-getter, you're going to have to develop a thicker skin because not everyone will find it agreeable. And no, I don't think a petulant retort because you're insulted – much less a punch or two – is the mature way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships