Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 03:49 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times

Advertisements

Some people really don't like hearing jokes. It might be annoying to some people. It's not wrong, but excessive joking can reach the saturation point, so this woman probably got irritated. It was still rude of her to say what she did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 11:53 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Some people really don't like hearing jokes. It might be annoying to some people. It's not wrong, but excessive joking can reach the saturation point, so this woman probably got irritated. It was still rude of her to say what she did.
Unless you're babbling on like some nitwit with a bad case of Tourette's there's nothing wrong with a few well placed jokes or quips.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:01 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I'm sorry but you just cant call people out like that. Especially since telling a guy he's a clown, I feel like that's one of the worst things you can tell to a guy. In the middle of a group no less. What can I do about this? Loudly mention the mustache on her lip next time? Comment on her acne? Just forget it and move on? Change my sense of humor?
I've been called just about everything in the book. "Clown" doesn't even register as an insult. Just ignore it and move on. Don't even dwell on her comment about you. Just get over yourself. Once you do that, insults that are hurled at you won't even faze you.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:14 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Maybe she was just trying to be flirtatious and sucks at it? Lots of people think that teasing is flirty so they say things teasingly without realizing that they could be taken the wrong way.

Why get so het up about it?

Old 10-23-2016, 05:23 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Maybe she was just trying to be flirtatious and sucks at it? Lots of people think that teasing is flirty so they say things teasingly without realizing that they could be taken the wrong way.

Why get so het up about it?
True, I've said some stupid things before while trying to flirt, just in general many people my age suck at flirting lol

Old 10-23-2016, 05:28 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I've been called just about everything in the book. "Clown" doesn't even register as an insult. Just ignore it and move on. Don't even dwell on her comment about you. Just get over yourself. Once you do that, insults that are hurled at you won't even faze you.
I've been called a lot worse, but most of it was in middle/high school. College people are more mature generally

Old 10-23-2016, 05:40 PM

404 posts, read 385,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Maybe you should tone it down a bit. Especially if you don't intend to act like a clown. There is likely a fine line between being funny and looking foolish.
I agree. I would never call a man a clown (even if he acted like one).

If you would have shot back with, "man what a 'B' ".

I think it would of shut that down.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:55 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I've never heard "clown" used as a complement. A clown is a goofy character that entertains kids with corny jokes and antics. If you think someone is funny you call them a "comedian". Shoulda just stared at her and pointed your finger at her like a gun.
You haven't been around much then. It can be used as a compliment or an insult. The tone of voice normally tells you which.
"You're such a clown!" accompanied by laughing and happiness = compliment
"You're a clown" said in a more downbeat way, especially with a disapproving look = insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships