Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:52 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
We're talking about adult kids who are not physically or mentally disabled, but are lazy bums & can't get off their a$$e$ to go to work in the morning on any job - and as a result are living at home well into their 30's & 40's because their parents are enabling them & treating them like little kids who have no responsibilities. Believe me, I've seen this happen with my own eyes, and it's sad & pathetic. These adult kids have no work ethic & never will, and their parents are letting them get away with this for whatever reason. Incredible.
We are talking about the OP's post. The two sisters apparently do work, they are not lazy bums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 01:21 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,919,476 times
In the USA there is this stigma of living with your parents in adulthood. But it's becoming more and more common. Even in the town I live in (6000 pop) they are building nothing but expensive luxury apartments going for 1500 a month I don't know too many people who can afford that on an entry level salary, or even the many who are stuck working service industry jobs.

This is very common abroad as well like in Japan, where rents are sky high and decent jobs are hard to find.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:49 AM

997 posts, read 936,155 times
The OP mentioned that the family was religious. In some religions it is customary for the girls to live at home until they get married. I have no idea what their thought process is but it isn't that weird anymore.

When I was young a person would never live with their parents. That was not at all socially acceptable and nobody would want to do that. Times have changed and it is much more common and the person isn't necessarily some weird recluse who lives with Mommy. People have their reasons.

My relative still lives with his mom and he is in his 30's. At this point it makes sense because she has a big house and she doesn't want roommates but she doesn't want to live all alone. Her son helps her with things that she needs help with. He lives his own life. The point is we live in a very expensive area and that house is too big for one person. I can see the advantages. Maybe that is not ideal but it isn't uncommon. They said that lots of adult kids still live with their parents in that area and they get married and still live with parents. This is a trend and not so weird. It is because of the economy. Jobs are hard to find and housing is impossible in some areas.

Nobody wants to be old and alone and nobody wants to be young and homeless so that is a win-win.

Not paying for yourself when you go out with friends is weird. It is strange conditioning to think that someone else is supposed to finance your outing.

I don't think it is a bad thing anymore. What is wrong with working and saving money for your own place. That is the reality of this current economy. We have to make it work in the most comfortable way.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:17 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Why not just ask them.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:34 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times
From someone who's also lived w/ parents for longer than most people do, here's my opinions about it. I live in southern CA & it is a very high cost of living, so I didn't move out until I was extremely sure I could afford to move out & STAY OUT...none of this trying something first & having to move back home in a year or two.

It could be a cultural thing. Certain ethnicities have different perspectives about how long adult kids live in the family home. If it were up to my strict, Asian dad, he wouldn't have minded if I stayed living there FOREVER. My non-Asian mom understood that I wanted & needed my privacy at some point.

Maybe their parents are just overprotective & don't want them to deal w/ possible hassles of life when the kids have a perfectly good home right there. My parents felt that way too somewhat. My parents were never the type who said, "once you're 18 or 21, you're outta here." I don't think ANY parents should be like that. They shouldn't mind their kids still living at home until they have the good education to get a good, stable job to have the finances to live on their own. I mean someone on...it makes no sense for a parent to say, "I want my kid out at 18" yet what does an 18-year old know? They barely graduated from high school...IF they even did that yet, so they're only going to be able to get a fast food type job, so they can maybe afford rent IF they get roommates & if they work 40+ hrs a day maybe...but WHY be in that situation if they have a nice, pleasant family life & don't care about not having privacy, which it seems your friends don't care about NOT having privacy.

If an adult child's working on a PhD or something else good, which takes time, then so be it with them living at home for a while. That person is working towards something great to have a good future & be able to support a family someday or live on their own (if they're a female) & not have to worry about the stresses of living in a bad neighboorhood, living w/ roommates because they can't afford things yet, etc. Yes, I still agree with MEN supporting the wife & kids.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Why not just ask them.
Oh come on! That's just too easy!!! So much more fun to post on here and speculate.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:30 PM

78,318 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Oh come on! That's just too easy!!! So much more fun to post on here and speculate.
Yeah, but speculation around here really is more about axe grinding on whatever bad experience people once had and are hung up on.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, but speculation around here really is more about axe grinding on whatever bad experience people once had and are hung up on.
True. But it's not about them.....even though they think it is!

Old 10-27-2016, 01:56 PM

199 posts, read 130,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
We are talking about the OP's post. The two sisters apparently do work, they are not lazy bums.

Depends on how you define "work".

Her description does not sound like the behavior of 2 well adjusted adults

The two sister’s run a sports blog and get opportunities to interview many athletes in baseball, basketball, and football. They don’t get paid for this work. I believe its a hobby and an opportunity for them to get into various celebrity events.

Nothing wrong with living at home when done to save money for future independence or while contributing an equal share in their current living arrangement. That doesn't seem to be the case here. If staying at home is to avoid reality and spend more time on your social life then it's behavior that should be looked down upon, but I realize that in today's society we try not to judge others in exchange we aren't called out for our own foibles, regardless if the larger Community is weaker for it.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:57 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,693 times
I wonder how much longer Americans can go on consuming more and more space with each generation. Some of the houses people live in are so huge that three families could live there without causing any real hardship. For the sake of our planet and the sanity of the people that live on it, we have to stop demolishing so much of the world to put new sprawl on it. If people want a decent quality of life for their own children, they have to stop sucking up so many resources. People living in the same house, I can get behind that. It's about time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships