Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 08:00 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweekansas View Post
Would greatly appreciate some feedback. So I have had a roommate close to a year now, we share an apartment. Anyway, 3 months back she was in a wreck that was her fault. I was with her when it happened but she was ordered to pay for the wreck. We don't really talk that much nor do we share details about our lives which is understandable, but shortly after the wreck I did find out from her she was held responsible and was going to have to pay. Didn't hear any updates about that which is understandable, didn't care to know and she didn't say being roommates after all.

That was until today. She had gone to work while I was studying and I got a knock at the door, it was a cop. They asked for my roommate which I told him she wasn't here, he asked if I knew where she could be and said she was at work and said where she works, he said thanks and left. Later that day my roommate comes back angry as can be. Apparently they arrested her at work, and she is now furious at me for telling them. I said to her I wasn't going to lie to the cops and she said "Well, you could have just told them you didn't know and you wouldn't be in trouble". She is very angry at me as you can imagine. Oh, her mother bailed her out btw.

So was I in the wrong here?
H.e.l.l. No. You did exactly what you should have.

Sounds to me like you should get out of this living situation, as she sounds like the type that will try to figure out some way to blame you no matter what.

You may want to expect to be called at some point for your testimony of events. I'm surprised the cops haven't questioned you already. Expect it to happen soon unless she pleads guilty right away. If she pleads not guilty.....expect a trial.

I believe that she will continue to harass you throughout this process. Especially since she has kept you in the dark.....she had to have known that she was looking at charges and didn't tell you. Who knows what she has already stated regarding your involvement.

You also might consider this whole situation is a huge conflict, since your first paragraph stated that the wreck was her fault.

As a witness, you never want to be accused of withholding information or anything if this all goes to court.....which with an arrest sounds inevitable.

I would move, and make sure you let the police or plaintiff know where to get ahold of you. Good luck

I hope that you weren't hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 09:06 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,617 times
Do you know why she was arrested? Did she not have insurance? Expired or suspended license? Hit and run?

Old 11-01-2016, 09:16 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
You are the good guy and I applaud you for not lying to the police.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:43 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Beyond what everyone else is saying, how were you to know they were there to arrest her? If a cop knocked on my door looking for my roommate, my first thought would be that a close relative was injured or passed away, or some other non-legal incident. A coworker once had the police come to find him at work because his mother was in a serious car accident and he was the next of kin - it was horrible.

You did nothing wrong.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:39 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
you did exactly the right thing.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:25 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Do you know why she was arrested? Did she not have insurance? Expired or suspended license? Hit and run?
Was she arrested for something to do with the accident or something else?

It seems to me that if they know her name and where she lives, it would be easy for them to find out where she works.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:34 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Beyond what everyone else is saying, how were you to know they were there to arrest her?
If a cop knocked on my door looking for my roommate, my first thought would be that a close relative was injured or passed away, or some other non-legal incident. A coworker once had the police come to find him at work because his mother was in a serious car accident and he was the next of kin - it was horrible.

You did nothing wrong.
I agree.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:49 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I think it's strange that she was arrested after the accident. Why was she arrested? And. Honesty is the best policy.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:03 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,650 times
She should have been the one on the defensive, she put you in an untenable position. I'd let her know that I didn't enjoy having the police knock on my door looking for her since she hadn't bothered to explain her situation to me, especially since she was arrested for it. There was nothing else you could have done.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:10 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweekansas View Post
Would greatly appreciate some feedback. So I have had a roommate close to a year now, we share an apartment. Anyway, 3 months back she was in a wreck that was her fault. I was with her when it happened but she was ordered to pay for the wreck. We don't really talk that much nor do we share details about our lives which is understandable, but shortly after the wreck I did find out from her she was held responsible and was going to have to pay. Didn't hear any updates about that which is understandable, didn't care to know and she didn't say being roommates after all.

That was until today. She had gone to work while I was studying and I got a knock at the door, it was a cop. They asked for my roommate which I told him she wasn't here, he asked if I knew where she could be and said she was at work and said where she works, he said thanks and left. Later that day my roommate comes back angry as can be. Apparently they arrested her at work, and she is now furious at me for telling them. I said to her I wasn't going to lie to the cops and she said "Well, you could have just told them you didn't know and you wouldn't be in trouble". She is very angry at me as you can imagine. Oh, her mother bailed her out btw.

So was I in the wrong here?

No and if they arrested her I wonder if she fled the scene? I would definitely find out and it IS your business since you live with her. If the police are involved you need to know the details why! If not, they can be coming to bang on the door again and who knows what could happen. You don't want any part of that!

If she was telling you to lie to the police, she could be lying to you about the whole situation! Be VERY careful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships