Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 10:25 AM

115 posts, read 61,640 times

Advertisements

So a cousin (only 19yrs old) reached out to me a few days back asking for money as he's in "desperate need". I knew from another cousin that he'd also asked him for money a day earlier but was refused.

The story he concocted for me didn't match the story he told the other cousin on why he needed the money. He didn't know that I knew from the other cousin that he's asked him for money. His reasons to ask for money and why he can't get anyone else to help him didn't add up at all.

However, this is the first time he's ever asked us for money and since the amount was paltry ($100) I consented to help him out. He kept begging that I don't tell his mom (or anyone else for that matters) which I agreed to but was planning to tell his mom anyway. I know from his mom that his company isn't great, he's skipping college and rarely listens to his parents and I felt like she needed to know what he is up to. He's told the other cousin that he hit a friend in the head with a bottle and now that friend needs money to hush up or for his treatment. I suspect that he must be in some deep trouble to look for money from sources where there won't be much questioning (although I did probe) on the reasons and where his parents will likely not find out. (keep in mind he lives in another country where $100 can go far).

Anyway, my dad advised against telling his mother as he thinks this makes me look like I am fishing for credit...although that wasn't the intent but I do see his point that it can come across so. My dad's advice is to give him benefit of doubt once and if he asks again then we can tell his mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 11:02 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Does he live with his mom? Then tell her.

Or get the other cousin to tell her....seems like he may be less worried about "ratting" on him, as he refused to give him any money.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:14 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,740 times
Since you mentioned this is happening in another country with what sounds like a different culture, it's hard to know how to approach this. What do you think would be the outcome of telling his mother? Do you believe the story of why he needed the money, is it possible that he is getting himself into more trouble with this $100? Is the person asking for the hush money likely to be satisfied with $100 and not come back for more?

Old 11-03-2016, 11:14 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
He's 19 years old, and while he's probably acting immaturely, that doesn't mean that you should run tattle-tale to his mother over $100. He's a putative adult. As you say, it's just $100. Is there any suggestion of repayment? Or is this a gift?

I'd say this was a one-time thing, and let it go.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:17 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
I would have asked your cousin, "Why don't you want me to tell your mother?" And unless he gave a very good, logical reason why she shouldn't know, I would have said "Sorry, but the only way I'm lending you $100 is if I tell her what's going on." He can then take it or leave it, as he wishes.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:55 PM

115 posts, read 61,640 times
He lives with his parents. He admitted that he's getting into fights recently (due to anger issues) and for this reason his parents are not talking to him and not giving him any money. I honestly don't know if I believe the latter part. Oh well!

Old 11-03-2016, 02:08 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,973 times
I wouldn't tell since its only 100 bucks and he's 19. I also wouldn't give it to him since I know he's lying since his stories don't match.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:18 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnuluck View Post
So a cousin (only 19yrs old) reached out to me a few days back asking for money as he's in "desperate need". I knew from another cousin that he'd also asked him for money a day earlier but was refused.

The story he concocted for me didn't match the story he told the other cousin on why he needed the money. He didn't know that I knew from the other cousin that he's asked him for money. His reasons to ask for money and why he can't get anyone else to help him didn't add up at all.

However, this is the first time he's ever asked us for money and since the amount was paltry ($100) I consented to help him out. He kept begging that I don't tell his mom (or anyone else for that matters) which I agreed to but was planning to tell his mom anyway. I know from his mom that his company isn't great, he's skipping college and rarely listens to his parents and I felt like she needed to know what he is up to. He's told the other cousin that he hit a friend in the head with a bottle and now that friend needs money to hush up or for his treatment. I suspect that he must be in some deep trouble to look for money from sources where there won't be much questioning (although I did probe) on the reasons and where his parents will likely not find out. (keep in mind he lives in another country where $100 can go far).

Anyway, my dad advised against telling his mother as he thinks this makes me look like I am fishing for credit...although that wasn't the intent but I do see his point that it can come across so. My dad's advice is to give him benefit of doubt once and if he asks again then we can tell his mother.
"only 19 years old" is an adult, you don't tell mommy on a adult. Tell him no, and really think is this the kind of person I should be associating with. When you realize your cousin is not worth it, move on with your life.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnuluck View Post
He lives with his parents. He admitted that he's getting into fights recently (due to anger issues) and for this reason his parents are not talking to him and not giving him any money. I honestly don't know if I believe the latter part. Oh well!
Well if you give him the money consider it a gift. Because from what you have written you won't most likely see it again.

Keep in mind he may need to pay more to cover what he did, and is asking several people for a $100.

Also you only "loan" money if it will not put any financial hardship on yourself, whether it be $100 or $10,000.

Because most of the time and especially with relatives, somehow you become the bad guy when you start to inquire about repayment.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:45 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Guys, he's already given him the money. And since he still lives with his parents they have a right to know, because it sounds like he's getting himself into some real trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships