Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 03:35 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times

Advertisements

So, I am soon going for a short visit to another country (from which I originally immigrated 20+ years ago)

I have a childhood friend of mine based there who wants me to bring him a used iPhone. I told him nicely that it's not possible for me to shop the used sites - craigslist, ebay etc. for a used phone because a) I don't know if it would work in your country b) I can't validate the quality of the item c) if it breaks you have no recourse d) the country has onerous duties on the import of foreign electronic items and I may get caught having to pay duty

Anyways, the guy is still bugging me and getting mad that I can't do this small favor for him.. so he says he will ask another friend here to buy it and send it to me. I told him I cannot carry packages given to me by anyone else because I don't want a security liability (could be cocaine inside the phone for all I know!!!). Guy will not take no for an answer, but I just finally said NO and slammed the phone down

Do you think there is something fishy here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 03:48 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
I would not help someone so rude.
He can order his own phone on the internet and have it delivered to him.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:51 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
If he's not going to hold you responsible for the quality and he's sending you the money, why not just buy one from Amazon for him and take it along? It doesn't sound like a big deal to me and it sounds like he has no way to get one without you. If it doesn't work in his country it's not on you after all. As long as he sends you money upfront I would do it, there is no reason you can't bring it on a plane.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:02 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I have been asked similar stuff.

My answer:

My friend, be really certain it will work in your country!

If you buy it and order it and send it to my house, I'll bring it to you.

But I will NOT go somewhere and buy it used and then you don't want it because something is wrong with it.

My FRIENDS will not let me transport cocaine ... if this is a friend you are not trusting anyway, don't do any favors for him.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:05 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have been asked similar stuff.

My answer:

My friend, be really certain it will work in your country!

If you buy it and order it and send it to my house, I'll bring it to you.

But I will NOT go somewhere and buy it used and then you don't want it because something is wrong with it.

My FRIENDS will not let me transport cocaine ... if this is a friend you are not trusting anyway, don't do any favors for him.
The friend is unable to purchase it from his country, that's why he wants OP to get it. There must be computer restrictions or something. It shouldn't be hard to send the money though.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:08 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The friend is unable to purchase it from his country, that's why he wants OP to get it.
The OP said nothing about inability to purchase, just that there is a duty to be paid.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:09 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The friend is unable to purchase it from his country, that's why he wants OP to get it. There must be computer restrictions or something. It shouldn't be hard to send the money though.
I understood him correctly.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:35 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Sounds like he's willing to take a risk with items a-c. With a little research he could probably determine what kind of phone WOULD work in his country.

Is anyone really going to care if you carry an unactivated cell phone buried in your suitcase? If so, I think you are justified. But I can totally see why he'sasking you to do this. I think you are making too big a deal out of it. Help a brother out!

Old 11-09-2016, 05:36 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Your friend is ignorant. At the very least he needs an unlocked phone. He's going to buy an expensive coffee coaster. If you want to take a phone that will accept a wide variety of national SIM cards, I recommend the Google Nexus. It is popular with travelers and you can buy a used one on eBay very reasonably. If you spring for the $13/month skype subscription, you can make free international calls anywhere you can find a wifi connection.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:50 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I have a childhood friend of mine based there who wants me to bring him a used iPhone. I told him nicely that it's not possible for me to shop the used sites - craigslist, ebay etc. for a used phone because
Simple just buy a refurbished unlocked Iphone 5 from Walmart.com for $179. If it does not work just return it. Normally these type of electronics have a 14 day return policy but due to holiday shopping the return window is extended to after the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships