Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 09:31 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times

Advertisements

I also have to add that she does have a 60" TV. Mine is 32.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 09:37 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
A neighbor came to me crying that she owed & needed $2,500. I have money in investments, but how she knew that is beyond me. I fell for her sob story & called my investment firm to release funds. I was talked into thinking about it overnight. Thank God.

After talking to her again, she has an enclosed trailer which she says was worth $5,000 new. She also has a truck that is newer than my car & a daughter that could possibly help her.

I saw her today & told her I couldn't help her & that she should sell her trailor. She said, "Well, I'll have to do something."

Okay, prior to writing this I was feeling bad. Seeing it in black & white, I no longer do. Yes, I should never have told her I would loan her the money, but she should have never asked me for it.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Yes, you did the right thing. The advice to "sleep on it" was very, very wise. Which leads me to the bolded: you should not feel guilty about exercising your right to change your mind!

Old 11-12-2016, 05:33 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
I doubt she knew you had the money. She was just hopeful.

Put that money right back where it came from! Do not ever again consider loaning money.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:34 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Been there, fell for it and learned the lesson.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:44 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
I know several friends that have done this and just ended up having to write the money off, or lose the friendship. My friend "Linda" inherited money when her dad died. She was pretty free with that information, and sure enough a close friend "Mary" with continual money issues asked for a $10,000 loan (without interest of course!) to pay off her high interest credit cards. Linda gave her the money, expecting to be paid monthly until it was paid off. Mary paid for a couple months, but then there were new problems and she couldn't pay for a few months, which turned into a year, and then Mary shows up driving a brand new pick up truck. Linda asks when the loan will be repaid, and of course Mary has no money now that she's paying a big truck payment, and surprise, surprise, she has run up her credit cards again. No money left over to pay Linda. Linda seethes inside but loves her friend and won't press her for the money. Now 12 years later, Linda never expects to be paid back. She doesn't make a lot of money and the inheritance was for her daughter's college education and her retirement.

Never loan money if you think you will need it someday. You probably won't get it back. I had to turn down my own brother for a loan because it was for something he really didn't need (a boat). I would gladly have given it to him if it was for a health issue or rent he couldn't pay through no fault of his own, and I wouldn't even have cared if he never paid it back. But for a boat? I knew I would be resentful if he never paid it back, so I didn't. I just told him it was all tied up in retirement accounts and there would be penalties and taxes if I took it out. Not a total lie, it was in savings for retirement, bit not a restricted account.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:23 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,141 times
Could she have gotten a piece of mail (investment statement) by mistake? Be sure you go paperless.
A neighbor asking for $2500: I just can.t imagine it.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:07 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
It really is important to run stuff like this by someone who you trust and is not emotional. Like you did. It is at times like these when you need to "gird your loins" and grow a large set. So, to speak...

Old 11-12-2016, 10:21 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
You should not go to friends with requests for money unless all else has failed. Your friend was out of line with her request. Maybe she was not thinking straight.

I can't make generalizations about her finances, but she clearly has assets she can sell to meet this debt. That she let it get out of hand does say something about her financial responsibility. But we can't know the details.

It is not your responsibility to bail out friends who have not thought their finances through.

How she knew? Maybe she didn't. Maybe she took a chance. Maybe she has done this before successfully with others, and she did the same with you.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:27 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
A neighbor came to me crying that she owed & needed $2,500. I have money in investments, but how she knew that is beyond me. I fell for her sob story & called my investment firm to release funds. I was talked into thinking about it overnight. Thank God.

After talking to her again, she has an enclosed trailer which she says was worth $5,000 new. She also has a truck that is newer than my car & a daughter that could possibly help her.

I saw her today & told her I couldn't help her & that she should sell her trailor. She said, "Well, I'll have to do something."

Okay, prior to writing this I was feeling bad. Seeing it in black & white, I no longer do. Yes, I should never have told her I would loan her the money, but she should have never asked me for it.

Thanks for letting me vent.
And..THIS is why one should never get too close to one's neighbors.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:41 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Note: This seems harsh and does not apply to those who you know intimately. If my family needed something and I knew they had done all they could and were in a bad place thru something not of their own making, I would consider a gift.

A loan will lose you the relationship.

Truer words were never spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships