Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 01:27 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,042 times

Advertisements

Feel sorry for myself then take a nap. Usually just tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 05:32 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Been there. When I was married.
Yup.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:22 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,120 times
I live alone and except for my marriage and two years' cohabitation prior, have for the most part. I am into my hobby - building/customizing model cars and have an enormous collection, of which I'm proud. I guess it's lack of someone to talk to; friends all busy, many loved ones gone. On occasion I'll go up to the bar and have a drink or two with a friend, but I've seen people turn to alcohol abuse, thinking that drinking will make their problems go away.
It doesn't hit me too often, but I get pangs from time to time.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:59 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
My dog helps me a lot when lonely.

Or I randomly sign up for some meetup events.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:01 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
That was a helluva game. Sorry either team had to lose. And I'm an Auburn fan, so I'm still in mourning over wetting the bed against Georgia.

Oh, wait. You had a question.

I think it is important to cultivate the ability to entertain oneself in life. Television is kind of empty because it is passive. You just sit there and watch. On the other hand, when you become a reader, you are never truly alone.

The other things? Explore interests. I'm pretty sure that there's something that interests you. If so, there's likely a group that does it. Bicycling, hiking, art, music, history, you name it. There you'll find like-minded people with whom you have something in common. Instant set of friends, with the possibility of a great deal more.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:19 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,185,983 times
For the pangs that hit on occasion - I go out where there is a lot of people (like the Farmer's Market or Target), get overstimulated and annoyed then go back home and enjoy the quiet and solitude.

I also invite people over all the time for tea, beers, meals, etc even if it is just for an hour while they are out doing their day.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:49 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Instead of feeling lonely, embrace solitude.
I view that as just lying to yourself, at least most of the time.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:53 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
There were times in my single days that I felt lonely. I got a kitten I know a pet is not for everyone and it doesn't make up for a having another person around, but it did help me feel not so lonely.
My cat literally saved my life post divorce. She loves me and follows me around the house. I had a date last night and she said she liked how affectionate my cat was. I don't usually tell women I have a cat because they think its weird for some reason, but I'll probably always have either a cat and/or maybe a dog. Have to have something to keep me company if I'm going to be alone forever.

I'm trying to figure out more things that interest me. Its hard when there's no good meetups or other outlets where I live. Much of what I enjoy doing, I'm forced to do alone, such as watching football, travel, reading, etc. Though I love travel, I don't enjoy doing it alone because I'm alone all the time anyway. I want to be more social. Wish I was an extrovert. I think I could be if I could get over my fear of what people think or rejection (shyness). Anyway, taking a singles cruise for New Year's and going to Europe in May, so maybe all that will help.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:10 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
When I'm feeling lonely.... Doesn't happen a lot because I relish my alone time, but...

-I call a close friend or start posting on FB things I know will generate discussion and conversation.
-Take my dogs for a walk or do some training
-Go for a run or a hike
-Clean
-Read a book. When I'm sad or lonely, I prefer escapist stuff like romances and mysteries
-Go out to a social restaurant - in Jersey it would be the local diner, where I'd inevitably be drawn into conversation with one of the old guys at the counter, doesn't work so much in Colorado.
-Write - loneliness is often inspiring for me.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:15 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,035 times
I live in a "foreign" country don't really know anyone here, I have a few acquaintances but that's it. It's extremely hard living so far away from family etc.. I get lonely constantly.. I watch favourite series and go to the movies/mall.. On a Sunday I go to church on occasion.

Keeping yourself occupied is essential.. Find something that will take hours to partake in. You can't do anything else to fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships