Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 07:52 PM

5 posts, read 5,371 times

Advertisements

If they sincerely apologized, showed a lot of regret years later and showed that they changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 08:10 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
Yes, I'd give him/her a second chance. People DO change. But one more strike and he/she is OUT!

Old 11-14-2016, 08:46 PM

175 posts, read 260,916 times
My sister is very toxic. Cut her out of the family several years ago. She wanted back and Dad didn't want family strife. The rest of the family wasn't so sure it was a smart move, but ok ... give her a chance. Mom was hesitant too.

But oh she apologized profusely!! I need my family... I miss my family ... i love my family... blah blah blah blah...

We really thought she did change. She was nice and helpful, She even cut back on her Rx habit. It didn't last but a few months. Mom and Dad's health failed and eventually passed away. All she wanted was their stuff. I have never seen a more manipulative person in my life.

In the end, We... as her family... means nothing to her. She is so enveloped in her own toxicity she can't see it.. She will not change. It's her personality. NOTHING we can do will change that. The rest of the family now is very close knit. She is now alone with no one except her daughter which has been drawn into her toxicity. (The nut don't fall far from the tree.)

I am sorry that I gave her a second chance. I should have known better. I feel suckered. The stress and hurt that she put the family through during the passing of our parents is hard to take. We all have now told her to NEVER contact us in any way. And I will call the police if she comes near me or my family. I feel so much better since. Just because they share genes doesn't make them family.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:21 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
I feel there's a reason that toxic person is no longer in my life and I would not welcome that type of behavior back. Do people change? Sometimes yes and sometimes no. But now that I'm older and with a family I just don't have time for that type of nonsense in my life and I certainly don't want that around my children. In my opinion, better to leave well enough alone.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:52 PM

924 posts, read 751,259 times
The only people whom that might apply to would be my sister and her husband, and I'm not exactly holding my breath about either one of them changing.....especially regarding the reasons they aren't part of my life anymore.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:04 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
No.

I've had two people try. I didn't make a big deal out of it, I just refused to respond.

You know those "housing wanted" ads on Craigslist where the person advertising is broke and can't come up with the full rent. They say, "We're desperate. We'll work in exchange for rent. No, we don't have family or friends." They do have them -- they've just burned through them all with their irresponsible, entitled behavior and now no one will even talk to them any more.

That.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I have never had luck with this in my life, and I'm 60 now. I think people fundamentally stay the same. The package or the circumstances might have changed, but my experience is that they will still have the same basic behavior that they had in the past. Time will show, for instance, that a person who was a self-centered partier in college, may no longer party, but will still over-book their time or call you when they need expert advice from you, but then never have time for you otherwise, etc. Different package, same self-centered person.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:27 PM

5 posts, read 5,371 times
I had a best friend that I grew up with. We had many great memories together and good times. But I grew up in a toxic household and took out my anxiety/stress on her as she was the closest person in my life. She cut contact with me without warning because she couldn't take it anymore and so four years later, I told her how sorry I was, how I deeply regretted my actions and how much I've changed since I moved out and graduated college. She seemed to be happy for me and said she wanted to meet up and said she missed me/sad about how much she has missed in my life over the years. She then cut me off the next morning and said she is not ready. I don't know what I did wrong but feel like the closest family member in my life killed me off. And I promise I am not a bad person, I have a really big heart and I just didn't know how to healthily channel my emotions back then, and she was like a sister to me so I told her everything. I just miss her so damn bad and regret everything.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:20 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times
Some bridges with a toxic person are burned down for good reasons and should never be rebuilt. I'm not talking about anyone you just have an argument with and both are mad. I'm talking about toxic, venomous, manipulative people

Old 11-15-2016, 04:30 AM

13,689 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolts' Probie View Post
My sister is very toxic. Cut her out of the family several years ago. She wanted back and Dad didn't want family strife. The rest of the family wasn't so sure it was a smart move, but ok ... give her a chance. Mom was hesitant too.

But oh she apologized profusely!! I need my family... I miss my family ... i love my family... blah blah blah blah...

We really thought she did change. She was nice and helpful, She even cut back on her Rx habit. It didn't last but a few months. Mom and Dad's health failed and eventually passed away. All she wanted was their stuff. I have never seen a more manipulative person in my life.

In the end, We... as her family... means nothing to her. She is so enveloped in her own toxicity she can't see it.. She will not change. It's her personality. NOTHING we can do will change that. The rest of the family now is very close knit. She is now alone with no one except her daughter which has been drawn into her toxicity. (The nut don't fall far from the tree.)

I am sorry that I gave her a second chance. I should have known better. I feel suckered. The stress and hurt that she put the family through during the passing of our parents is hard to take. We all have now told her to NEVER contact us in any way. And I will call the police if she comes near me or my family. I feel so much better since. Just because they share genes doesn't make them family.

Unfortunately, that is what happens.

Toxic people I simply stay away from whenever possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships