Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 06:36 PM

894 posts, read 586,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
That was very rude. I wouldn't go back for a couple years if I were you. I'm so sorry this happened to you.
Shucks, I wouldn't go back PERIOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 07:35 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,164,223 times
That is just awful. And on top of all that, you are there yourself, while your husband is too ill to accompany you, that situation alone surely dictates you are there for some time-out, relief, to try and enjoy yourself a little bit. The mother in law was beyond thoughtless, and extremely exploitive. And your daughter and son-in-law should have rescued you.

I hope you talk about it so much that word gets back to her.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
They were in the wrong. Your daughter was MORE in the wrong because she did not help you until you told/asked her for some help.

In my house, I don't like to have anyone clean up. I invited them, they are my guests. I do not make my guests do dishes. Sometimes my DIL will start cleaning up (they don't fly down to visit very often) and I tell her she doesn't have to do that but she continues. I tolerate that but do help at the same time.

I will stack the dishes, when I have guests, and tidy the piles...maybe run water in pans that will need some soaking. I deal with it when they leave.

You were seriously taken advantage of and they were incredibly rude.
They were very rude, especially since the OP is dealing with a seriously husband.

But you have to wonder between the daughter's actions and comments how did she get like that?

I have a cousin who has two daughters in their early 20s, these girls were spoiled and very self absorbed. They don't lift a finger when their mother needs help, my cousin makes comments to me about this but seems to not get she created the monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
You should have just put the dishes on the floor for the dog to lick clean. After the dog finished, put them in the cabinet. Then announce what you did, as you are leaving.

Don't go back Christmas (it's a trap).
I was thinking getting butter fingers, "oops, sorry".

But I like your idea better.....LOL.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:09 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,285,179 times
I would have walked out when I saw I was being used. Okay, hindsight & all, don't ever go there again.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:42 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
These in-laws are RUDE and low class. I can't believe they treated you this way and that your daughter allowed them to.

You must learn to stand up for yourself and never let anyone treat you that way again!

Old 11-25-2016, 09:42 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,285,179 times
This is not the same situation but the same idea.

When I was married we lived in the country. I had to see a dentist & my husband drove me to his cousins to wait for the appoint ntment, which she would then drive me to & yes, watch my son until I was done.

We chatted a bit but really didn't have much in common so I instead supervised her children & my son in the family room. I overheard her on the phone talking to someone that I wasn't doing anything. Apparently she thought I was there to clean her house while she put herself out for me.

Never again, and no, the marriage didn't last.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:19 PM

525 posts, read 659,854 times
That is so bizarre. Who does that? And why would you jump on in and finish? I'd help clean off the table. I'd offer to serve coffee or desert. But I would never just say "ok" and start doing the dishes.

I guess possibly you could feel flattered that they would feel comfortable enough to even ask... Cuz that takes some chutzpah.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:27 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,076 times
I would have just loaded into it the dish washer and been done.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:31 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,622,243 times
The only thing I can think of that hasn't been said yet is what a terrible tragedy it would have been if a stack of nice plates or china had fallen off the counter somehow. A terrible thing. How fortunate it didn't occur to you... er, I'm sorry; I meant to say how fortunate it didn't occur.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:29 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,977,735 times
They treated you horribly.
How odd of them and your daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships