Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 07:51 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My sister's friend once called her crazy because she touched the plug on a lamp after she pulled it out of the outlet. She said there might still be electricity in it.
lamps are simple: power supply -> resistance -> dc load circuits.
many complicated computer/tv/stereo/appliances... systems contain inductors and capacitors which store energy for short periods of time (turning them on when unplugged will discharge any residual energy still left in the circuit).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 07:22 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
lamps are simple: power supply -> resistance -> dc load circuits.
many complicated computer/tv/stereo/appliances... systems contain inductors and capacitors which store energy for short periods of time (turning them on when unplugged will discharge any residual energy still left in the circuit).
Ha, well thanks for that science lesson!

Old 12-17-2016, 07:28 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracysam View Post
every single year when we'd give my grandparents our school pictures, my pop pop would always say "now i can put this up in the attic to scare the mice away!"
lol!

Old 12-17-2016, 07:38 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
My Mom had old-fashioned radiators for heat in each room. She switched from a coal furnace to natural gas when I was a kid. During power outages, she still could get heat. She insisted she got heat because "there is still a little bit of electricity in the wall". No amount of arguing could convince her otherwise.

Hooboy, coal furnace. That brought back a lot of memories. Mainly of my brothers forgetting to shovel coal while my parents were out and the heat going out, or my brothers getting their eyebrows singed while shoveling coal, again while my parents were out. I think my father spent half his winter life shoveling and stoking that thing. Now that I think of it, it was coke and not coal. Another thread for another day, I guess.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:06 PM

175 posts, read 261,184 times
This is from my elementary years. And that was 40 years ago! but I still..... well it crosses my mind from time to time. LOL

Don't get a drink from the fountain if someone has just flushed a toilet. The water from the toilet and the fountain share pipes. Yikes!!

But I remember my friends refusing to drink. So maybe they got it from their parents.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:12 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
^ idiocracy

Old 12-17-2016, 01:25 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
When I was a kid I was told that if I stepped on an ant, it would rain.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:14 AM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
My Pop Pop also told me that when he was younger, teachers were hardly ever married. He used to say about women "Are you married or are you a teacher?"

I don't know whether this "regulation" existed in other states, but in NJ--during the Great Depression--they would not hire teachers who were married.

As a result, some women lied on their job application, claimed that they were single, and actually lived apart from their husbands--lest anyone inform the local Board of Education about the truth of the matter. I have no idea about why this regulation was put into effect, but it did exist.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:42 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Maternity leave.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:04 PM

914 posts, read 737,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I firmly believe that most of the beliefs about women not doing certain things during their menses were started by our many-many-great-grandmothers so that they'd have a couple days a month to just sit around. Think about it....

Can't cook because it might poison the food? OK
Can't work in the field because the crop might die? OK
Can't grind corn or parch wheat because it might get contaminated? OK
Can't sleep with your husband? Okaaaayyyy!
Might as well wander over to the Womens' Hut and sit around gossiping with the other ladies. Talk about the husbands for a while. Swap recipes. Braid each other's hair. Sounds like a huge sacrifice to me....
Ha, my grandma believed that touching raw meat during your period would spoil the meat.

I remember my mum once claiming this as well. In hindsight, it probably was an excuse for her to take a break from cooking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships