Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 10:51 AM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

My grandmother was convinced that my parents' pet cats would "suck the breath" of their babies. We all made it out unscathed, and had kitty friends for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 12:29 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

Same grandma - Said- Never touch a birds nest or the little birds will die.
for certain birds, reptiles would eat the eggs and replace them with their own when the mother was away... so when the mother returns to feed them when they hatched the newborn reptiles would eat the mother.

some birds would abandon the eggs if they smelled differently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I always heard my grand say " don't can any food especially tomatoes while on your period or they will turn black LOL;
don't wash your hands in a thunderstorm because lightning can come through the pipes and electrocute you .
don't sweep over a young womans feet or they will never get married or have children .
Rob peter to pay Paul I actually thought my mom had robbed a man named peter to give money to Paul LOL ...
Never let an animal lick you in the face or you will die from the germs
I swear I truly wonder if they believed all this stuff they were told by their parents or grandparents . I'm sure I heard more but the above is what comes to mind .
its illigal to sell a home in the northeast without having grounding wires across the hot and cold pipes of a water heater.
bitten by a rabid dog ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My dearly departed grandmother told me rubbing Vicks on my chest would cure colds faster. I have no idea if it's true, but I use it to this day. It reminds me of her, and her memory cures much of what ails me, no matter what it is
vicks vaporub is designed to open the nasal passeges so you snore/choke/cough less in your sleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My grandmother was convinced that my parents' pet cats would "suck the breath" of their babies. We all made it out unscathed, and had kitty friends for years.
cats are attracted to the mouths of sleeping newborns because their breath smell like milk.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 11-28-2016 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: changed smelt to smelled

Old 11-28-2016, 01:03 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
My mother was full of them.

If you shampoo your hair while on your period, then you get cramps.

Don't ever shave your legs, that causes coarse hair to grow.

The only way to get rid of a sty is to rub it with a gold ring.

Girls don't need an education; their husbands will provide for them.

If you don't cook your meat to shoe leather consistency, you will get worms.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:04 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
My paternal grandmother would tell us that:

Drinking coffee when you were a child would make your skin dark and/or stunt your growth;
Never put your purse on the floor because you would be poor all year (okay, I still won't set my purse on the floor);
Never sweep the dust/dirt straight out the front door because you would sweep out the good luck as well;
If you went to the beach and got in the water during your period, sharks would smell blood and swim directly towards you.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
My mother was not superstitious at all, but she did say that if a weeping willow tree grew to the height of a house, someone in the house would die. She repeated it as if she didn't really believe it, but I thought she was a bit worried about the weeping willow planted in our front yard.

My grandmother had difficulty understanding about astronauts orbiting around and later landing on the moon. She seemed to think the moon was sort of pasted onto the sky. She also refused to wear black because old widows wore black. (She was an old widow.)

My dad, also not superstitious, had diabetes. He told my mother firmly that none of us girls would get it because diabetes always "skips a generation." His mom had diabetes though, so I don't know why he believed that.

Mostly my parents were scornful of old wives' tales.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:58 PM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
cats are attracted to the mouths of sleeping newborns because their breath smell like milk.
That's an old wives' tale too. Cats are lactose intolerant, but they generally just like to smell new smells.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:26 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post

Girls don't need an education; their husbands will provide for them.
its still is tradition for the father of the bride to pay for the wedding and give away their daughter.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:01 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Actually, you could just refer them to several of the C-D forums where the same stuff blooms in even great profusion. Nothing in U.S. culture has grown as fast as out-and-out nutbaggery.

Nutbaggery?! HaHaHaHa

Old 11-28-2016, 03:08 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
A man I used to work with, his mother in law lived her whole life in a rural farm area in Germany. When the family was installing indoor plumbing, she flatly refused permission to install a toilet. "S**t in the house, are you crazy"?!?, was her outraged response. They installed the pipes and covered it all up until after she died, then installed a toilet.
My grandfather had an outdoor toilet until he was quite old...until the doctor said they HAD to add a bathroom to the house. He never did like the idea.

My other grandfather believed, until the day he died, that the moon landing had all been staged.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:11 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I firmly believe that most of the beliefs about women not doing certain things during their menses were started by our many-many-great-grandmothers so that they'd have a couple days a month to just sit around. Think about it....

Can't cook because it might poison the food? OK
Can't work in the field because the crop might die? OK
Can't grind corn or parch wheat because it might get contaminated? OK
Can't sleep with your husband? Okaaaayyyy!
Might as well wander over to the Womens' Hut and sit around gossiping with the other ladies. Talk about the husbands for a while. Swap recipes. Braid each other's hair. Sounds like a huge sacrifice to me....

I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships