Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 08:51 PM

59 posts, read 86,562 times

Advertisements

My dad has a tendency to over-react and make a big deal about everything for the past couple years. I think his health is partly to blame for it. He's had a few strokes and isn't in the best shape, and has more time to overthink. For example, I'm not a hugger with some people. It's just who I am. I haven't hugged my dad since I was little so I didn't feel the need to give him one before I left to my new state, especially w/ all the arguing we had done before then. Now all of a sudden he thinks I have anxiety even though I've said a million times I don't. He keeps insisting I do & it drives me insane. If I had anxiety I wouldn't have moved to a new state not knowing a single soul.

Another example, when I got laid off a couple years ago obviously I would be depressed, but he called one of his friends and wanted them to "counsel" me like I was suicidal even though I wasn't. That was the start of it.

I know all the strokes and bad health are probably to blame, but it's stressing me out. When I come home he wants to have another serious talk... it's like he wants to be mr. fix it. My mom thinks it's ridiculous too... how would you handle it? I've tried telling him it bothers me but I know he's gonna keep doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 08:57 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Tell him what you think he wants to hear, end the conversation, and do what you want.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:59 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I take care of my 90-year-old mother and I know a lot of her friends. It's not that unusual for an elder to blow things out of proportion — although I agree it is quite annoying. As you realize he has time to "overthink." They don't have enough to occupy their minds so they obsess over things. They want to think they're "helping," even though they're not.

Maybe you could tell him, yes you DID have some things to be anxious about but now that you're in your new home everything is great and your problems are solved. Thank him for his help so he feels useful. Then feel free to tell him he's the one who sounds anxious. Try to keep it light with him and don't take it personally. He'll always see you as a child, even though that's completely inappropriate. It's up to you to change your response to him. He's not going to change at his age and in his physical condition.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:55 AM

59 posts, read 86,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I take care of my 90-year-old mother and I know a lot of her friends. It's not that unusual for an elder to blow things out of proportion — although I agree it is quite annoying. As you realize he has time to "overthink." They don't have enough to occupy their minds so they obsess over things. They want to think they're "helping," even though they're not.

Maybe you could tell him, yes you DID have some things to be anxious about but now that you're in your new home everything is great and your problems are solved. Thank him for his help so he feels useful. Then feel free to tell him he's the one who sounds anxious. Try to keep it light with him and don't take it personally. He'll always see you as a child, even though that's completely inappropriate. It's up to you to change your response to him. He's not going to change at his age and in his physical condition.
Thank you for the advice. Makes me feel better I'm not the only one.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:20 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Strokes really can change a lot about a person's personality/brain. I wouldn't take it too personally or let it stress you out. Just find a way to smooth out the conversation.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:06 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
It sounds like he just loves you and so he worries about you. Tell him that you appreciate his concern, but that he raised you to be strong and so you're handling everything fine.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:56 AM

619 posts, read 574,890 times
My experience with the older and annoying generation (i love my father but he can be needy and overbearing):
*listen more than you talk. He needs to say things to you. As long as he isn't being abusive, let him talk a bit, interspersed with a few "hmmm" and "wow! Really? “

*find some common ground, some topic abd/or activities that you can both relate to. Like maybe a book you read and recommend to him and then you can discuss, or something interesting you saw on the news.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:22 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Strokes really can change a lot about a person's personality/brain. I wouldn't take it too personally or let it stress you out. Just find a way to smooth out the conversation.
This. Strokes do weird things to people's thinking/focus.

Find something to positively distract him like a new/old hobby you can share.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:17 AM

525 posts, read 659,949 times
Perhaps your father is projecting how those things would make HIM feel. But at least he cares. Humor him? And continue to reassure him.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:28 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
And give the old guy a hug every once in awhile. You are lucky to have his love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships