Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 12:33 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times

Advertisements

I do. I just bought them today. I still have to write my letter that goes inside it, though.

I enjoy getting the letters, so I always send a letter, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 02:01 PM

388 posts, read 307,081 times
I send between 20 and 25 every year, and get a dozen or so in return. My husband will add people to my list but wouldn't send cards if it were up to him. I enjoy making the cards myself, though it usually takes so long that I'm mailing them out around the 22nd. This year our address changed so I was determined to get them out early, and the last batch went in the mail today! I only do personal notes to the few people I don't otherwise talk to regularly. I've always thought the "Christmas Newsletter" was a little tacky, but I do generally enjoy reading them. I imagine next year I'll be including a baby photo, and the number might go up.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I still send them. I enjoy receiving them. I've cut the list back a bit. Some people never reciprocate, and many are on FB, so it seems unnecessary. This year, I'm trying to find the holiday spirit to send cards to my Drumpf-loving relatives. I'm trying to "go high." Trying.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I got tired of doing holiday cards to friends because I seldom received cards from them, so I stopped sending to friends a number of years ago.

I got tired of sending holiday cards to family because I usually only received a very few cards from them, and then not reliably. So I stopped sending any cards last year.

We have Facebook now, and I think that lessens the need to write long updates or even to send a card with holiday wishes. So, I am not doing that now.

I don't miss the drudgery of doing this.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
I do. Most got mailed yesterday. I enjoy sending and receiving them. I typically buy 2 sets of cards. One more religious/Christmas specific and one more generic holiday greeting for friends who aren't Christian or who are not religious. I don't usually send to local friends or neighbors whom we see regularly. Older relatives, friends from high school or college or neighbors from previous locations. It's a nice way to keep in touch.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:53 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I send Christmas cards to family and friends every year. Have them made and enjoy getting them. Don't know what a holiday card is.
A Holiday card is a seasonal card sent annually at the close of the year which coincides with Western Christmas, New Years, Hannukah, etc.

It's a lot like a "Christmas" card, except it's inclusive of people who aren't living under the guise of a Jesus-based fantasy story woefully modified to fit in with pagan winter solstice events.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
A Holiday card is a seasonal card sent annually at the close of the year which coincides with Western Christmas, New Years, Hannukah, etc.

It's a lot like a "Christmas" card, except it's inclusive of people who aren't living under the guise of a Jesus-based fantasy story woefully modified to fit in with pagan winter solstice events.
You know, you made your point just fine until the end. Where you felt it necessary to be just as rude (and non-inclusive) as the post to which you were responding.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:05 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,058,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I do. I just bought them today. I still have to write my letter that goes inside it, though.

I enjoy getting the letters, so I always send a letter, too.
I have to be honest and say that I'm not fussed when people put long letters inside Christmas cards.

A friend of mine, whom I didn't see very often, used to do this. Every Christmas she would send me a card with a long letter (I think she did the one letter for everybody she knew), with a big essay about everything her, her husband, her kids, and the rest of her family had done that year. I wasn't that interested!

Old 12-03-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
I have to be honest and say that I'm not fussed when people put long letters inside Christmas cards.

A friend of mine, whom I didn't see very often, used to do this. Every Christmas she would send me a card with a long letter (I think she did the one letter for everybody she knew), with a big essay about everything her, her husband, her kids, and the rest of her family had done that year. I wasn't that interested!
So....if you have a friend, whom you don't see very often and you aren't interested in what they're up to, why exactly are you friends?

Honestly, I'm always a little disappointed when cards arrive with no news or information, just a signature....tell me what you're up to, send pictures!

Old 12-03-2016, 04:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post

Funny thing...I'm a Christian and my best friend (45 years and counting) is a pagan. I send her cards on pagan holidays. She sends me cards on Christian holidays. In 45 years neither of us have felt the need to make a snide comment about what the other believes.

Which is why we've been friends for 45 years. And counting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships