Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 12:54 PM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I heard the name several times and thought it was a TV show Then I saw it in the store and looked at the box. I could see how it isn't for everyone. At first I thought "woohoo a new game I can play with my (adult) kids". Then I looked at that back and thought...nope. Wouldn't be comfortable. I could see how it would be funny, but...I mean I cant think of anyone I talk to like that so it would be awkward in most situations.

Its a fad though, I bet other games will come back soon.

And the bad parent award goes to: Us!!!

We play it with our 14 yr old boy.

I won't feel bad, he knows what all the stuff means so no point in pretending otherwise. He also a very sharp wit, and this gives some neat insight into how his mind works.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 12:57 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Only played it once but I thought it was very funny. I was in a moderate size group and no one got up to leave or refused to play. Everyone had fun.

There are so many other things going on in the world. Why waste your energy getting upset about a card game. Seriously.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:02 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I won't feel bad, he knows what all the stuff means so no point in pretending otherwise. He also a very sharp wit, and this gives some neat insight into how his mind works.
We get the bad grandparent award. The grandkids are the ones that wanted to play so hubby ordered it while they were staying with us.

It was shocking that the 17 and 15 year old knew what some of the things were.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:04 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Play Exploding Kittens instead.

Actually, I'm with the op.
I have the game. It's fine. But it's not gut-bustingly hilarious by any means.

I like strategy or drawing/acting games better. You want to laugh? Do one of those games where people have to act crap out.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I've always been somewhat socially awkward, but one of the things that always brings me out of my shell is playing board/card games, especially ones designed for larger groups. I truly enjoy this sort of activity and would love to do it more except I don't get a lot of opportunities to do so. And lately, it seems like whenever people do get together for games, everybody's #1 choice is Cards Against Humanity.

Words cannot describe how much I dislike this game. And yes, I fully realize how it makes me look when I'm the only one who chooses to sit out, but I simply do not feel comfortable saying some of the things that are on those cards. I'm perfectly fine with "adult humor" in small doses, but to me this is overkill and it surprises me how many people love it. I've come across dozens of really fun party games over the years but somehow this is the one people keep coming back to.

I'm just curious if there are others who dislike this game. I'm starting to think it's just me.
Have you played Apples to Apples? Same idea but G/PG-rated!.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I love it because it's the kind of game that almost always results in side splitting laughter ... the kind of laughter where you're laughing so hard that you're crying and can't catch your breath. I need more of that kind of laughter in my life.

It's not for everyone. Someone else suggested Apples to Apples as an alternative, but I'm guessing if OP's friends enjoy CAH, they're not going to particularly care for A2A. It's just not the same.
Hmm, I find apples to apples equally fun!

Old 12-05-2016, 01:32 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,271 times
I have always enjoyed this game...accept for the 1 time I played it with boring people.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:33 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
I know several people who like it. They all seem to have this weird tic in common, namely repressed childhoods. So now, as adults, they get to use bad language and talk about sex as if they've attained forbidden fruit or something.

In short, CAH players are kind of like that kid you knew in high school who had a fundamentalist upbringing, then went completely ape when they had a little taste of freedom in college. Meanwhile, it's kind of old hat to the rest of us.

Last edited by cpg35223; 12-05-2016 at 03:42 PM..

Old 12-05-2016, 03:39 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hmm, I find apples to apples equally fun!
I'm not into Apples to Apples so when this game came out, I was equally unenthusiastic. The fact that it is a more adult version of something I didn't like in the first place didn't make it any better or more exciting. I tend to like more nerdy, strategy oriented games, though.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:43 PM

19 posts, read 15,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Bad parents here as well! We play it with our kids too. We only have one rule...if you don't know what something is, for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT google it. Somethings you just can't unsee. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships