Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 05:48 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times

Advertisements

I like these stories, especially the minor-seeming events that lead to people meeting their spouses. Almost seems like fate sometimes!

I started college majoring in journalism, not sure if I would like it. I loved writing but had never done journalism. I just knew I did not want to teach, so an English major wasn't for me. My adviser recommended I get involved in the student paper. I figured I would after I got comfortable in school. But I didn't do it in the first semester. I was too shy to just walk into a news meeting, and I had never written a journalism story before.
The second semester, a girl moved into my dorm and started volunteering as a writer for the paper. I asked her one day if I could come to the volunteer meeting with her and she said yes. I went, met the editors and was assigned a story. It was the smallest kind of story you could think of but I was nervous about it and tried to make sure it was perfect.

I ended up writing more and became more confident. I also did very well in my news writing class. The next semester I applied to be on staff and got the job. One of the newer editors was a guy my age and we started dating that summer. Five years later we are still together. I stayed with the paper throughout college and became an editor myself. It was a great experience and I'll never forget asking my dorm-mate if she could take me to the meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 12:15 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times
After turning 30 I gave up on trying to be everyone's friend...started caring less about what people think of me...and have embraced being an introvert. I love it.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:31 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
While I was living overseas, I was at a party one night at an apartment I was about to move into, some neighbors heard us partying and asked if they could join and I said yes. I married one of those neighbors less than a year later and we will celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary next year.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:39 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,032 times
When I was a teenager, I went on holiday with my parents to the South West of England. There was a bus company nearby, that was doing a day trip to a local city. We decided to go on it.

When we arrived there, and as I got off the bus, I knew this was a special place - but I couldn't quite put my finger on why exactly. I had a great time, going on a boat trip and walking around the town. The place stuck in my mind.

A few years later, when I decided to go to University, I thought about this city once again, and went down to the library to look at their prospectus. They had some great Science courses there, so I put them down as my first choice University. A year later I got an unconditional offer from them - it felt like I was just meant to go there.

Not only that, but I met my husband there, at the University. And of course, without him, I wouldn't have my lovely daughter. Now she wants to follow our family tradition by going to the same University, when she's old enough. And she can do this easily, as we are moving back to this place again soon.

I'm just glad I went on that bus trip - it changed my life!

Old 12-08-2016, 08:13 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
Besides from putting away $75 to $100 a week in a 401k type plan at 21 years of age, and staying away from the crazy goons that I grew up around, I would stay starting a family was the best choice i ever made!

Old 12-09-2016, 06:15 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
When my parents died, I was struck by how short life really is. I realized that I was beginning to live the same boring life that they lived. I decided that I was going to always try to stretch out of my comfort zone, face my fears and surprise myself.

I entered a work-sponsored karaoke contest. This was really tough. Singing in front of all my co-workers. (2nd place!).

I joined the gym and got into shape. I finally handled my best friend's snake. I ended a toxic relationship. I move on to a new job if I feel like I am too comfortable. I want to always keep learning and improving myself. Lately I'm challenging myself to bake new desserts every few weeks. Last month I volunteered to get tased for a demonstration.

It just feels normal now to do things that would normally scare me. It seems like my parents stayed in the same loop their entire lives and I refuse to look back at the end of my life and see the same thing for myself.
Similar story here. Dad had a stroke in July. (Doing well now.) Couple days later, cousin died suddenly. Only 44. Changed my whole outlook on life. Now, I travel more, strive to try a new food every week, took a scuba diving class back in October, (amazing experience & plan on getting certified once I get the funds), try to cook new things on weekly basis and just try to do things I've always wanted to do, but kept putting off. The only thing different in my case was that it wasn't fear holding me back, but more procrastination & being a cheap wad. No more. Life's too short.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:38 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
I didn't really have much of a choice but I developed a wheat allergy a few years ago. After cutting all the wheat out of my diet I now have as much muscle definition as I did when I was 19. I also used to frequently have days where my mind was cloudy, that just doesn't happen anymore and overall I have more mental energy and stamina. My knee never hurts anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships