Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 04:59 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times

Advertisements

Here's a thought: Ever think about what would happen if, in the middle of a dark and stormy night, something would happen that would require you to exit your home but the power is out and it's pitch black and your keys/wallet/whatever is on the counter - somewhere - maybe even buried under the newspaper/mail/etc.

Putting your keys and wallet in the same dedicated place, every single time, makes it easy to grab and go, even if the house is pitch dark because of a power outage. I would add that a flashlight should also be one of those things that you can find quickly, even in the dark.

Safely out of your house, with keys and wallet, you can get in your car and go to safety, even stopping to get gas if that's a concern. Had this happen when the threat of flood from the nearby river was imminent and evacuation was mandatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 06:48 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Putting your keys and wallet in the same dedicated place, every single time, makes it easy to grab and go, even if the house is pitch dark because of a power outage. I would add that a flashlight should also be one of those things that you can find quickly, even in the dark.
Positively!
I keep a small flashlight in my night table drawer, and a really large Maglight is always in the same spot, just inside my master closet, a few feet away from my bed. Downstairs, I have another small flashlight on a lanyard, hanging on one of the spare hooks next to my keys. In the basement, I have a battery-powered lantern, in case the power goes out when I am downstairs.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:38 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Everything important goes in my purse. Then when I leave the house, I realize I changed purses yesterday and I'm missing something important

Old 12-12-2016, 07:40 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
What things do you always find yourself losing or leaving behind?
Always? I don't. If I leave something behind or lose it, I change my routine so that it doesn't happen again with the replacement.

If I'm in a hotel room and my phone is on charge, I put it on top of my suitcase or duffel bag, so it and the charger can't be missed.

Quote:
For me it's phone chargers definitely, especially when Im traveling. I must've lost at least like 5-6 chargers while traveling, including 3 in one week

Hoodies too, always leave them at a friends houses usually
That's irresponsible.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:52 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I rarely if ever lose anything, but when I do, it's something major. I lost John's flashlight that was part of his uniform paid for by his employer. It slipped out of my scrub pocket when I was walking the dogs late at night after work. It was so bright and made it easy to find the leavings, especially if they mix among fall leaves.

He finally bought me another one and it was over $80 dollars. The charger would have been extra but he kept the old one. We looked at them in the uniform store and it would have been over $100 dollars.

Lesson learned. I will not lose this one.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:39 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times
i frequently lose important pieces of paper, sometimes it's forms I need to sign for my kids, or a valuable coupon, I once lost a restaurant gift card that I am convinced I will find any day now (it's been 3 years!). I've tried every kind of system and checklist, nothing sticks. It's just the way I am!

Old 12-12-2016, 09:46 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
I used to lose umbrellas. Luckily now I live in Cali where it never really rains . Saves me $100/year for not buying/losing umbrellas.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:30 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Everything important goes in my purse. Then when I leave the house, I realize I changed purses yesterday and I'm missing something important
I hate that!!!

Old 12-12-2016, 10:33 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
When my kids were little, Iused to lose my keys a lot. Walking in, kids in arms, groceries, keys in hand. I usually put them on the kitchen table but if I didn't, I couldn't find them next time.

Now we have keyless entry to our house, a fob for my car and bigger kids...I don't even have to take my keys out of my purse. So I never lose them.

I guess I lose my phone a lot but its never that hard to find.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:38 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
i frequently lose important pieces of paper, sometimes it's forms I need to sign for my kids, or a valuable coupon, I once lost a restaurant gift card that I am convinced I will find any day now (it's been 3 years!). I've tried every kind of system and checklist, nothing sticks. It's just the way I am!

Important pieces of paper are the worst! I took a paper plate and cut it in half. I put a whole paper plate on the table as if I was going to eat from it. I turned the half plate over and stapled it to the whole plate which made a receptacle. I hung it next to the calendar on the wall. If it's important, stick it in there and you know it will be there.

It's not just the way you are. You just haven't found the right system yet.

P.S. If it's a form you need to sign for your kids, sign it and put it right in the backpack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships